Speculation: Mike Green: Top Trade Target for Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
"I don't know that what's out there is any better than what we got in our system," Holland said. "Players (free agents) would be more experienced, but are they any better than (Ryan) Sproul or (Xavier) Ouellet? We got pretty good kids."

Says the guy who just re-signed Quincey and Cleary, two of the guys we already know are worse than what we have in the system.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It's amazing to me that we are going to ice essentially the same exact team. It makes absolutely no sense.

Tell me about it, This team is barely a playoff team to begin with. And If we get a ton more Injuries again this year like last year forget about it. While every one else has Improved we have gotten no better or slightly worse! We still need to upgrade the defense big time.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
that's hilarious

It's accurate, and you know it.

Look R, I gave you bro status, and I love ya, but you alone are using those rose colored glasses.

You were never in Oates' locker room. You have NO idea what was said.

On its face, your claim that Oates told Green not to play D is ludicrous. NO ONE orders a D man NOT to play D. Points to this board for not calling you on it.

Green's only value was in his scoring, which fell off years ago. He's easily stripped of the puck, or attempts to clear it.... right into the hands of the opposition.

C'mon guy, it's okay to be an apologist on the team's board. If you come in here, be candid.

Oh, and for the reader: I was born & raised in Hockeytown, but moved to Maryland in 2000. I am a fan of both the Caps and the Wings, and I know both teams quite well.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't want to start a new thread, but SI.com has Mike Green as a top trade target. Just posted today - SI.com

I don't think Green has much trade value myself. He's paid a lot and has too many issues. Though, he could be an asset to any team's PP.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I think there's a great chance, That Mike Green Is moved at the trade deadline.
I understand his injury history, but i havent watched him play the last several years. How does he look and can he really help our team?

Where would he fit?

You keep smith the pairings look like?:
kronw-erricson
dekyser-green
smith-marchenko

Would a what it cost to get him considering he is a ufa?

What could we or should we give up?

A 2nd, 3rd, + a guy like kindl/quincey to help fill a roster spot, + off prosepct like Mattias Janmark? I'm thinking they want more from us. Probably not worth it unless we kinda know in advance if hed be willing to resign....

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
The Caps have so much tied up in their D already as well as too many bodies that I can definitely see them moving someone. I would definitely consider Green if the Caps ate some of the salary and if the price was fairly reasonably.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I understand his injury history, but i havent watched him play the last several years. How does he look and can he really help our team?

Where would he fit?

You keep smith the pairings look like?:
kronw-erricson
dekyser-green
smith-marchenko

Would a what it cost to get him considering he is a ufa?

What could we or should we give up?

A 2nd, 3rd, + a guy like kindl/quincey to help fill a roster spot, + off prosepct like Mattias Janmark? I'm thinking they want more from us. Probably not worth it unless we kinda know in advance if hed be willing to resign....

Actually I have'nt really seen all that much of him in the last several years either, So I can't really answer any of your questions. I would think that it's a gimme that he would be paired with DeKeyser. I think he would be a good PP Quarterback and that's what we need right now. As far as the cost I believe the Caps want a young Center + 1st rounder for Green but that could be subject to change I have just read in the rumor mills that Washington would love to resign him but at what cost. He's already making slightly over $6 million now and the Caps just signed Orpik for $5.5 million and Niskanen for $5.75 million and I can't see Green taking any thing less then $6 million again on a 5 year deal. I will be curious to see what happens at the trade deadline does Washington try and retain him or does he get traded hard to say as of now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Caps have so much tied up in their D already as well as too many bodies that I can definitely see them moving someone. I would definitely consider Green if the Caps ate some of the salary and if the price was fairly reasonably.

I guess the Caps had a deal in place to get Biznasty, But the deal fell through when they were trying to trade defenseman Erskine nobody wanted him if that had been Green there would have been no problem moving him. And now Biznasty is working out with St Louis.

crashman

I would definitely like to see Green and Kronwall on our PP, but I don't want to pay a high price for a soon to be UFA that's as injury prone as he's been lately. Definitely wouldn't trade Tatar for 1 year of Mike Green, probably wouldn't even offer them Pulkkinen either. I would trade a 1st round pick for him without a second thought though.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I would definitely like to see Green and Kronwall on our PP, but I don't want to pay a high price for a soon to be UFA that's as injury prone as he's been lately. Definitely wouldn't trade Tatar for 1 year of Mike Green, probably wouldn't even offer them Pulkkinen either. I would trade a 1st round pick for him without a second thought though.

They'd want the 2015 pick. And there's no way I'd trade the 2015 pick when we're very likely going to get a Mantha-calibre prospect with that pick.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Still would be interested in trading for Green. Not trading Tat, Nyqust, Jurco or Riley though. So no deal is really possible unless Washington want's picks and D prospects on the verge of breaking into the NHL. Or Wing prospects that are a couple years away.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Still would be interested in trading for Green. Not trading Tat, Nyqust, Jurco or Riley though. So no deal is really possible unless Washington want's picks and D prospects on the verge of breaking into the NHL. Or Wing prospects that are a couple years away.

Wings are pushed up against the cap anyway. They don't fit Green now or long term without shedding some salary, which none of those guys you listed make too much.

On top of that, the Capitals are against the cap too. So it's not like they'll be eager for a player like Quincey or Kindl who carry their salaries next season as well.

Before the Wings were pushed up against the cap (read: before Quincey and Cleary were signed) this had some traction. Now I don't see a way to make it work unless the Wings are planning a shakeup, which there's been zero indication of that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At the trade deadline we can add Green without shedding any salary... if we go to the season with 3M in capspace (kind of without Alfie).

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
My take on watching green is that he is average in his own end. If he can get to the puck w/o someone on him, he can make a good pass out, He played a lot last year but since 2010 he played 49, 32, 35, 70 games. He has been hurt regularly. Prior to 2010-11, Green had a terrific shot from the point but also got lots of points jumping in all of the time and joining rushes. Ovie used to say he wasn't a D but the 4th forward. Green has some skills but not worth what he gets now IMHO. I wouldn't trade much for him

Brandel*

Green is playing really well in the pre-season. Can't see him being traded unless WSH flames out by the deadline. Niskanen is crap lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad