Proposal: Mike Green for Jeff Petry

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The last thing Montreal needs is a defenseman who plays lousy defense -- especially one becoming a UFA. Makes no sense for the Habs... or the Wings.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I see you haven't paid any attention to Green. The guy is a very good top 4D.

It's actually quite the opposite. I know Green very well. Sure he can be a #4 but so is Petry, just a better one.

And when you factor in the fact Petry is two years younger, will get paid less than Green starting next season (Green will surely want a raise on his 6m salary this summer), and the fact that Greens new contract will likely be longer than the balance of Petrys contract- the value is poor and the logic just isnt there.

If we are trading Petry, it means we decided to go for a rebuild- which then means we would be much better off getting futures. (ie young players, prospects, picks).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd rather have Petry than Green, and it isn't really a hard decision (just talking about as players, haven't checked into contracts).

Reactions: Vachon23

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Greens defensive game has improved over the last few years. He's a respectable top 4 defensemen.

That said this deal makes no sense for anyone. Detroit needs prospects and picks for Green.

Habs need to hold onto Petry unless they are rebuilding. If they are rebuilding they have no use for Green

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
green makes 6 million and petry makes 5.5 million. how is montreal getting green saving them money? unless im reading something wrong, montreal loses a half million in this deal.....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry for 3 more years after this year is worth more than a UFA rental in Green. I counter with this... Petry, Scherbak, McCarron, for Mantha. You can trade Green to the Leafs or Kings for a 1st or 2nd.

See how it works. A low ball offer countered with another low ball offer. Wings get two Michigan boys! Great deal for the Wings ;)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
green makes 6 million and petry makes 5.5 million. how is montreal getting green saving them money? unless im reading something wrong, montreal loses a half million in this deal.....
green is a free agent at the end of the year.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Petry for 3 more years after this year is worth more than a UFA rental in Green. I counter with this... Petry, Scherbak, McCarron, for Mantha. You can trade Green to the Leafs or Kings for a 1st or 2nd.

See how it works. A low ball offer countered with another low ball offer. Wings get two Michigan boys! Great deal for the Wings ;)

Pretty bad when a Habs fan counters a Habs fan. OP definitely ain't no Wings fan.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It'd be nice to get Kronwall to hang them up and save the 4.75 million for next season.
Since he's only making $1.75 million next season it could be possible that he hangs it up. Like Zetterberg probably hangs it up his last two years when his real money dips to $1 million per for 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 seasons just depends on how he feels next fall .

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah because a 20 point Petry is so much better then a 40-50 point Green i will take Green over Petry any day of the year Petry has always been meh since his Oilers days.
a) Green hasn't hit 50 pts since the Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" was at the top of the charts. They aren't hitmakers any more, he's not a 50 pts dman any more.

b) "Yeah because" points is all that matters for defensemen.
c) I'm neither a Habs fan or Red Wings fan. I'm just saying who I prefer. Glad you disagree. You guys should definitely keep Green then. Extend him. He's awesome... BOOM BOOM POW!!!!

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
a) Green hasn't hit 50 pts since the Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" was at the top of the charts. They aren't hitmakers any more, he's not a 50 pts dman any more.

b) "Yeah because" points is all that matters for defensemen.
c) I'm neither a Habs fan or Red Wings fan. I'm just saying who I prefer. Glad you disagree. You guys should definitely keep Green then. Extend him. He's awesome... BOOM BOOM POW!!!!
You sir have made my day. I'm now going to listen to "Boom Boom Pow" all night

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Sounds about right. It'd be stupid to sign either of them to bridge deals.

But yeah, if we make any trade it's for our future and most likely using the draft.
Yea but, the players and their agent might think otherwise. With another good season after this one Larkin and Mantha could get a lot more money.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know what compelled you to even think of this awful proposal but both teams easily say no.

This is absolutely atrocious even by HFBoards standards.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah because a 20 point Petry is so much better then a 40-50 point Green i will take Green over Petry any day of the year Petry has always been meh since his Oilers days.

They are 2 different type of defenseman. Green is all offense and Petry is more 2-way. +/- is bad because it doesn't show if the player is responsible for the goals for/against. In Petry's case , he played with an anchor all year named Karl Alzner.

Wouldn't do the trade because Green is UFA at the end of the year. No reason for Detroit to do this either, they are rebuilding/retooling

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why would Montreal trade their second best D for an expiring contract free agent.

No, just no.
Yeah they wouldn't don't see either team doing this, If Detroit truly wanted Petry we could've have dealt for him instead of Montreal. But we didn't want him and trading a pending UFA in Green for Petry makes zero sense as Petry would cost us $5.5M for 3 more years eating any salary increase plus needing to give Larkin and Mantha big deals plus inking AA as well we just can't afford him.

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN
Holy crap this is bad for Detroit.

1) Doesn't fit Detroit's needs, we downgrade on the blueline.
2) We get no futures for our most valuable piece that is moving on.
3) Petry is really nothing special, I honestly view him as a 5-6 d, which we have many of.
He’s actually more of a 4th D. And he’s Detroit’s beloved. His dad’s a fan favourite there and his family is loved there. Having those fans there and his family living there would be A. Motivating to him; and B. Easy on him, because he has someone to take care of his kid (his parents), who would also be raised seeing his/her grandparents. That would lead to C. Good performances, because he’s happy there and has less to worry about.

Now, let’s look at the benefits for the Habs getting Mike Green:
- Star power
- Better Weber replacement (hard slap shot)
- Alzner playing alongside former teammate.
- Alzner making his self useful alongside former teammate (he has room to do his thing)
- Mentor and idol for Mete (they’re both offensive defence-men unlike Shea Weber)

Petry could potentially be a top 2 D. No one is etched as a go-to right-hander in Detroit, so if he outplays DeKeyser, it’s all his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad