Mike Gillis Discussion Thread - Part II

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
On one hand Gillis gets lambasted for not addressing the Luongo, Ballard and center situation (keep in mind the center situation going into the season was somewhat assuming malhotra would be fine).

On the other hand had he simply let such assets go for a weak return he'd be lambasted for moving them and harming the depth of the team.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You are right of course we do not know what has been offered. However, anything for Ballard would be an improvement. Any center better than Ebbet would be an improvement. Gillis should have known Manny was likely done, and he did know Kesler was hurt so he should have prepared better for that. That said Vancouver was okay until Kesler got hurt the second time. I support Gillis i have faith he will resolve these issues. If he does not than he deserves some critizism for a poor year, which it will be if we do not get another centerman this year.
Sometimes the perfect trade does not come along. Trading Luongo is necessary. It has got to happen, you make the best trade possible under the circumstances and move on. Of course if Luongo vetoed that trade all bets are off. If Bozak a back up and a draftpick were offered that is not a bad trade. We would have 4 NHL centers a viable backup for this and next year and a draftpick to get help at the trade deadline. Not to mention capspace. The Canucks do not have a problem attracting UFA's so that space would be used. I still have faith but his patience may cost the Canucks the division this year.

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
On one hand Gillis gets lambasted for not addressing the Luongo, Ballard and center situation (keep in mind the center situation going into the season was somewhat assuming malhotra would be fine).

i know you used the word "somewhat" in there but gillis was apparently not sold on malhotra being able to play the game safely last year and wanted to give him time this year after a full offseason of training to prove himself. so given that, i'd say that relying on malhotra and not having a plan b of any kind is pretty uncharacteristic of him and also unforgivable. it's been months since malhotra was shut down and there is still no replacement for him, not to mention the fact that kesler was known to be out for the first month of the season and there is no replacement for him either.

the center situation on the team right now is biggest black mark on gillis' record this season imo, and i think he's a good gm and don't want him fired.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I don't believe Botchford knows much in regards to whether or not such things are true to tell you the truth. And there is NO doubt that ownership had a hand in the deal....there isn't an ownership group in the NHL that wouldn't be personally involved in such a deal.

This is the only reason I'm not as scathing towards Gillis for that deal - who could forget Aquaman waiting in the dressing room after Game 5, practically begging to french kiss Luongo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad