Player Discussion Mike Condon (claimed off waivers by PIT)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Bergevin is an idiot.

5th round pick? No thx, lets lose him on waivers. If Islanders could keep 3 goalies on the roster, why couldn't we?

Lindgren outplayed Condon in pre-season lol Condon wasn't even our #3 goalie.

Yeah the 3 goalie strategy is working out well for the Islanders, Halak/Berube's agent is creating a **** storm because of it and basically forcing them to make a trade.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm more worried about Condom selling out our game strategies and locker-room secrets to them. Sens already give us fits, now they'll be able to prepare for us even better.

...But...But... Apparently, the strategy is PRICER STOP DA PUCK!!!

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Tell that to Trevor Timmins.

Might as well forfeit all our draft picks then.

:laugh:

That's not what's he's saying at all. He is just stating that there's a greater chance of a 5th pick ending up being a nobody which can be backed up by statistics. Basically a 5th could get a good player but don't bet on it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ottawa currently has special circumstances, which is why they need an extra goalie.

A 3 goalie system in a normal situation is incredibly dumb.

Typical stupid reactions to this.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Habs/Sens meet in round 1 of the playoffs. Condon plays out of his mind and eliminates the Habs. HF Habs goes into total meltdown. :laugh:

Seriously though I hope Condon finds success except if/when he plays the Habs.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Or some people are just too shortsighted to think two moves ahead (e.g. Bergevin). But I don't think Bergevin even finished high school, nevermind his microeconomy and macroeconomy classes.

Good chess players think one move ahead, great players think five moves ahead

What are you even talking about?

Bergevin acquires Montoya and Lindgren, and lets go of Condon for nothing (a guy he gave up no assets for).

- Montoya is a huge upgrade over Condon right now
- Lindgren is probably already better than Condon now, and going forward is likely to be our backup once Montoya is gone

How is that "shortsighted"?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Habs/Sens meet in round 1 of the playoffs. Condon plays out of his mind and eliminates the Habs. HF Habs goes into total meltdown. :laugh:

Seriously though I hope Condon finds success except if/when he plays the Habs.

Then again... if it's not Condon, it's Craig Anderson.
I'd rather have the Sens use Condon against us instead of Anderson...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm more worried about Condom selling out our game strategies and locker-room secrets to them. Sens already give us fits, now they'll be able to prepare for us even better.

"Guys, the Habs still haven't figured out Pageau, so just play him 45-50 minutes a game."

As for the 5th round pick, well, to me a draft pick is a draft pick. I am not going to lose any sleep over this, but it would had been nice to get a pick but obviously timing had much to do with this.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
What are you even talking about?

Bergevin acquires Montoya and Lindgren, and lets go of Condon for nothing (a guy he gave up no assets for).

- Montoya is a huge upgrade over Condon right now
- Lindgren is probably already better than Condon now, and going forward is likely to be our backup once Montoya is gone

How is that "shortsighted"?

Could have gotten an asset for Condon. Leave Lindgren to play and develop in St. John's. Not ******* Carr and Sergachev in and out of the lineup.

I mean, right now, we are carrying the minimum number of players on the roster, are we not?

It was obvious that Condon could have been traded during the season (e.g. now)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Hopefully Pittsburgh plays Ottawa in playoffs and Condon knocks them out....

hockey gods Jimmy .....

Could have gotten an asset for Condon. Leave Lindgren to play and develop in St. John's. Not ******* Carr and Sergachev in and out of the lineup.

I mean, right now, we are carrying the minimum number of players on the roster, are we not?

Obviously Bergevin wasn't goona trade Condon to the East ,teams like Boston or Ottawa.....The GM in Pittsburgh basically trolled Bergy.

He didn't want to put Condon back on waivers cause Montreal could reclaim him first.....

Yeah he got a 5th rounder....

We owe the Pens one .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

We had 3 days off between games, no injuries and St. John's played last night and tonight.. we didn't have any reason to call anyone up and likely won't until tomorrow or Friday before our back to backs..

The plan was for Sergachev to learn from veterans and get some NHL experience, is it more important to help your #1 prospect develop? Or to wait/hope for goalies to get hurt so you could get a 5th round pick?

Carr won a spot on the third line in training camp, he lost it to Byron who played excellent and got moved up. If an injury occurred he would've been back in the lineup, meanwhile Flynn has been good on the fourth line so there hasn't been room for him to get back in yet.

Not sure how it was "obvious" that Condon could've been traded, if we had him still who knows maybe Ottawa trades for Berube on NYI instead?

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal

It's 100% sure that the Sens were not willing to give a pick for Condon, back when he was waived. They did not even want him for nothing back then !

Had we kept Condon in the line up, without playing him (I mean, Montoya was clearly better) the odds of getting a pick for him would still be very low. If only for Habs/Sens trade history.

We picked Byron from waivers. I bet we could get a pick for him right now. Does that make the Flames dumb ?

Maybe this would be an idea - let's have a strategy of picking players on waivers, making them look good, trading them for 3rd-5th picks then profit!!! Like they do with houses.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
This is odd: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2143033

The Habs couldn't get anything for Condon but now Pittsburgh is trying to trade him?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-condon-traded-senators-draft-pick/

It's called 'asset management' and the Habs didn't handle this one well. I know it was only for a 5th, but it is still an asset.

They can try as long as they want :laugh: still not going to get something for him.

So sure, even included a laughing face.

Last edited by a moderator:

eaglesmaster

Sep 20, 2008

It's called 'asset management' and the Habs didn't handle this one well. I know it was only for a 5th, but it is still an asset.

It's called "change in circumstances" and the Senators and LA Kings didn't have tremendous need for an extra backup goalie back on october 11. Otherwise, condon would have never gone to pittsburgh, since they would technically be dead last on the waiver priority having just won the cup (unless I am mistaken).

Unless you mean they should have kept 3 goalies in the hopes that opposing team goalies get hurt so that they can then maybe make a trade....

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It's called "change in circumstances" and the Senators and LA Kings didn't have tremendous need for an extra backup goalie back on october 11. Otherwise, condon would have never gone to pittsburgh, since they would technically be dead last on the waiver priority having just won the cup (unless I am mistaken).

Unless you mean they should have kept 3 goalies in the hopes that opposing team goalies get hurt so that they can then maybe make a trade....

You summed it up well People will use hindsight to say the Habs should have gotten a 5th round pick but that's neglecting the events that has transpired since the day Condon was waived.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Lol I can't believe people are ripping on Bergevin for not holding onto Condon for the possibility of eventually getting a 5th round pick.

There's a 95% chance the guy they draft never does anything. People are reaching so hard for reasons to hate Bergevin

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Injuries are common in the NHL.

Really, really shortsighted to think otherwise.

so what about the other 28 GM's why didn't they claim him and keep him on their roster and use their powers of clairvoyance to see that tons of goalies would get injured and they could get a 5th for him?

Might be time for MB to go out and get 4 or 5 goalies on the roster you never know another team might have an injury and trade us a 7th rounder.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Senators didn't claim Condon when he was available for free. Enough said. I'm far from a MB fanboy but he have no blame to take here..

LOL if you look at it that way Ottawa could of had him for nothing and instead they paid a 5th for him. I guess Ottawa's GM is shortsighted as well?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

don't agree, unless you mean they didn't handle him well because they hung him out to dry last year buy throwing him to the wolves and instead of paying for help they went and got Ben Scribbles who shouldn't even be an AHL goalie. But with the season he had last year, they went and got what looks like a major upgrade so it was clear he was going on waivers. I hope he does well with the Sens but there's nothing the Habs could do other then carry 3 goalies but that would be stupid since who would think that a team would want Condon after the season he had.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Holy...!!!!...you're a GM in the making.

Hurry, bring this evidence to Molson, maybe your dream of Bergevin getting fired will come true.

I'd even go to tsn, sportsnet, rds, tvasport, La Presse, Le Journal, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, NBC Sports......hurry hurry, I think you're on to something here.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
No hindsight here.
I'm not bashing Bergy at all.
Check my old posts, IMO Condon is a viable NHL goalie as a back up at the very least and IMO still has potential to be a starter. I don't think it is a lot of potential but judging him on one year of NHL play in the $h!t storm the Habs went through last season is a little shortsighted.
Whether there are injuries or not, doesn't change the fact that Condon is a viable NHL option and asset. Injuries have just given him a chance (hopefully) to show what he can do.
Not getting anything for that asset, is 'poor asset management'. Spin it any way you like.
Also, all you members of the 'Lindgren is better than Condon' club, remember how high many on this board were with Condon after 1 AHL season? Maybe we can throw a $h!t storm at Lindgren this season and you can all hate on him next?
Bottom line is Bergy let an asset go for nothing. (he has brought assets in for nothing too). Big deal, some moves work out and some don't. It's one 5th rounder, but even that is an asset.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No hindsight here.
I'm not bashing Bergy at all.
Check my old posts, IMO Condon is a viable NHL goalie as a back up at the very least and IMO still has potential to be a starter. I don't think it is a lot of potential but judging him on one year of NHL play in the $h!t storm the Habs went through last season is a little shortsighted.
Whether there are injuries or not, doesn't change the fact that Condon is a viable NHL option and asset. Injuries have just given him a chance (hopefully) to show what he can do.
Not getting anything for that asset, is 'poor asset management'. Spin it any way you like.
Also, all you members of the 'Lindgren is better than Condon' club, remember how high many on this board were with Condon after 1 AHL season? Maybe we can throw a $h!t storm at Lindgren this season and you can all hate on him next?
Bottom line is Bergy let an asset go for nothing. (he has brought assets in for nothing too). Big deal, some moves work out and some don't. It's one 5th rounder, but even that is an asset.

There's nothing to spin, the Habs got a much better goalie in Montoya so that meant Condon was going on waivers. They had to cut him, he wasn't even going to be our 3rd goalie as Lindgren has looked great. Condon did look very good in the AHL but as someone that watched just about every game, he had a better defense in front of him, as the IceCaps defense is terrible but Lindgren looks very impressive in the short stint. The fact that his numbers are night and day to the rest of the IceCaps starters this year, while a very small sample size also speaks volumes.

They got Condon for nothing, they lost him for nothing. They got Lindgren for nothing but he was miles better in the NCAA then Condon. We'll see how it works out, maybe management guessed wrong in bringing in Montoya, but so far it doesn't look like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad