Player Discussion Mike Condon (claimed off waivers by PIT)

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I had a feeling someone would say this. From the time Condon was waived to the time Ottawa picked him up things have changed. Hammond got hurt and Anderson's personal life changed. If Ottawa wanted to pick him up earlier they would have claimed him then but because of a change in their goalie situation they went out and got Condon.

Some people don't understand simple supply and demand.
I applaud you guys for having the patience to explain these basic notions to some people.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Condon was picked by Pittsburgh. It was the 30th team. It's too bad, but that's life. Bad timing for us. Really happy to have Lindgren and Montoya.

They were not the 30th team. It goes in order of regular season points, not playoff results.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I had a feeling someone would say this. From the time Condon was waived to the time Ottawa picked him up things have changed. Hammond got hurt and Anderson's personal life changed. If Ottawa wanted to pick him up earlier they would have claimed him then but because of a change in their goalie situation they went out and got Condon.

Some people don't understand simple supply and demand.

They sadly learned typing instead.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Once again overaction has taken over.

When Condon was waived there was no goalie market. Was bergevin supposed to foresee that quick and zatkoff would get hurt, as well as foreseeing that Andersons wife would be dealt this awful blow and hammond getting hurt in the first period he took over as stater.

Really guys common.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Once again overaction has taken over.

When Condon was waived there was no goalie market. Was bergevin supposed to foresee that quick and zatkoff would get hurt, as well as foreseeing that Andersons wife would be dealt this awful blow and hammond getting hurt in the first period he took over as stater.

Really guys common.

Injuries are common in the NHL.

Really, really shortsighted to think otherwise.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Just quit now :shakehead

I hesitated a lot whether to put a "sarcasm" emote or not. I'm very far from being a MB basher, quite the opposite - but I wanted to be the one to say it first. For the fun.

MB did not trade Condon for the simple reason that he wanted to keep him. And he almost succeeded (Pens picked 30, because of a particular injury situation). MB did his homework and took a good bet - he rolled a critical 1 though.

The one who failed on this trade is the Sens GM, who could have picked Condon for nothing and had to pay a 5th now to get him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
TBH, I didn't even know a player could be traded less than a month after being waived.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The love for Condon will always escape me. He's not a good goalie for now. A 5th round pick is nothing. That's what we paid for Flynn ...

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Trade aside, is anyone fearing that the arrival of Condon in Ottawa will turn them into a juggernaut ? He will get shutouts against the Habs ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Trade aside, is anyone fearing that the arrival of Condon in Ottawa will turn them into a juggernaut ? He will get shutouts against the Habs ?

Considering Condon starting means Anderson not starting, I fail to see how we lose here.

I'm curious about what they'll do when Hammond is back, considering Hammond's salary and all.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As poster montreal has repeatedly mentioned, Condon has no rebound control. Is he going to figure that out just because he's playing in Ottawa? He's a second-stringer who lucked out on NHL games last year -- he remains what he is, a project and a liability if played more than in a back-up capacity. There was no point holding on to three goalies in the hopes of landing a late pick. Good luck to Condon in Ottawa and many happy returns in the form of healthy rebounds for the Habs to pounce upon.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Also a 5th round pick has what, 2% chances of being an impact player?

Looking at previous NHL drafts, you're looking at 1-3 picks playing 300+ games. 3-10% of making the NHL full time, figure half of them are impact players so 1.5-5% per year.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Or because he has value? How about that for a reason?

Brendan Gallagher and Charles Hudon were both 5th round picks.

Maxim Trurev and Andrew Conboy were 5th round picks too. Also considering at the time he nearly made it past waivers his value wasn't that high. The only reason why his value went up is because of the amount of injuries and circumstances that have unfolded since. Sure injuries happen but you can't reasonably expect every GM to forsee certain types of injuries. GMs aren't fortune tellers, Habs had no use for Condon in the NHL and wanted him to play instead of wasting space on the sidelines.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Or because he has value? How about that for a reason?

Brendan Gallagher and Charles Hudon were both 5th round picks.

Hudon hasn't amounted to anything in the NHL. For all we know he could be a bust playing in Europe in 3 years. I hope that isn't the case, but until he is an NHL player, you can't really use him as an example in this case.

Obviously ill give you Gallagher, that was an excellent pick up. But that is honestly one case out of the hundreds of 5th round picks that never panned out.

There's no need to be mad about not getting a 5th. If Bergevin could have gotten something for Condon at the time, he obviously would have. There just wasn't a deal, and honestly no point in having him eat up a roster spot in the hopes of getting a 5th rounder.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Maxim Trurev and Andrew Conboy were 5th round picks too. Also considering at the time he nearly made it past waivers his value wasn't that high. The only reason why his value went up is because of the amount of injuries and circumstances that have unfolded since. Sure injuries happen but you can't reasonably expect every GM to forsee certain types of injuries. GMs aren't fortune tellers, Habs had no use for Condon in the NHL and wanted him to play instead of wasting space on the sidelines.

I'd even add that Condon wouldn't even have been the 3rd netminder, had he stayed here.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
I'm more worried about Condom selling out our game strategies and locker-room secrets to them. Sens already give us fits, now they'll be able to prepare for us even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad