Player Discussion Mike Condon (claimed off waivers by PIT)

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Could have gotten an asset for Condon. Leave Lindgren to play and develop in St. John's. Not ******* Carr and Sergachev in and out of the lineup.

I mean, right now, we are carrying the minimum number of players on the roster, are we not?

It was obvious that Condon could have been traded during the season (e.g. now)

Obvious to you - who is looking for any angle to slam management. Pittsburgh claimed him and they were the last team (having won the Stanley Cup) to talk. 29 other teams passed on him. But whatever....

MB cap management is perfect for this time of the year - everyone is healthy and we are building cap space for future - and you call this short-sided?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Hopefully Pittsburgh plays Ottawa in playoffs and Condon knocks them out....

hockey gods Jimmy .....

Obviously Bergevin wasn't goona trade Condon to the East ,teams like Boston or Ottawa.....The GM in Pittsburgh basically trolled Bergy.

He didn't want to put Condon back on waivers cause Montreal could reclaim him first.....

Yeah he got a 5th rounder....

We owe the Pens one .....

Wat? :huh:

The act of putting a player on the waivers allows for every single eastern team to put a claim on the said player. So if he didn't want Condon to play in the East that simply wasn't the right course of action to begin with. (Can't even said he played the odds since there's more eastern team than western one ;))

That just doesn't make sense.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No hindsight here.
I'm not bashing Bergy at all.
Check my old posts, IMO Condon is a viable NHL goalie as a back up at the very least and IMO still has potential to be a starter. I don't think it is a lot of potential but judging him on one year of NHL play in the $h!t storm the Habs went through last season is a little shortsighted.
Whether there are injuries or not, doesn't change the fact that Condon is a viable NHL option and asset. Injuries have just given him a chance (hopefully) to show what he can do.
Not getting anything for that asset, is 'poor asset management'. Spin it any way you like.
Also, all you members of the 'Lindgren is better than Condon' club, remember how high many on this board were with Condon after 1 AHL season? Maybe we can throw a $h!t storm at Lindgren this season and you can all hate on him next?
Bottom line is Bergy let an asset go for nothing. (he has brought assets in for nothing too). Big deal, some moves work out and some don't. It's one 5th rounder, but even that is an asset.

You know who's a viable NHL backup? Montoya.

We have different standards on NHL backup goalies. My benchmark is that they actually stop pucks.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
You know who's a viable NHL backup? Montoya.

We have different standards on NHL backup goalies. My benchmark is that they actually stop pucks.

Well in any given year, that definition wouldnt be Montoya as well. The story of backups, they have as many good years as bad years which is why they bounce around.

If MTL signed him after his first season in FLA, would you still consider him a viable backup? You are lying if you say you would

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
A 5th round pick is basically equivalent to a minor change in circumstances. So... a non-story.

A 5th round pick isn't much but it is still better than nothing
Considering Murray injury it was predictable that PIT would claim Condon.
Also we keep player that were exempt from waiver, so we exposed him for no reason.

PIT or no other team probably would have trade a 5th round pick to acquire Condon at the time he was waived but thing can change quickly with injuries and Condon isn't the worst backup option and is probably better than most 3rd goalie.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Obviously Bergevin wasn't goona trade Condon to the East ,teams like Boston or Ottawa.....The GM in Pittsburgh basically trolled Bergy.

I think he would have happily traded him to an Eastern team and not thought twice about it.

But no one offered and almost no one even bothered to claim him on waivers.

You realize you are saying "obviously" Bergevin wouldn't trade him to an Eastern Team when the next thing he did was offer him to all of the Eastern teams for free.

Doesn't make any sense.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It does not look good indeed, but the only thing Bergevin could do is call everybody and asked them if they needed Condon before he waived him. Do people think that Bergevin is so stupid that he is not doing the basics of calling people up and asking them if they need a player he is about to waive? Seriously?

Come on people...there's plenty of reasons to bash him, but this is not one of them. As tons of people also explained....things have changed since then. And there was no reasons to hold on to him in case goalies would got all injured so we could "eventually" get a 5th rounder....

Though, by the way, I don't undervalue that pick. We got Gallagher out of it and the day people believe we got one of the best head scout, is the day you want every pick you could. Not only you could choose somebody at that rank, but you could pair this with another pick to maybe pick in the 4th round etc.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why wouldn't we? Instead of ******* Carr and Sergachev around.

All I hear is excuses for Bergevin. Not bad, for a team whose slogan used to be "no excuses"

We're 9-0-1 though with Montoya starting 4 games. It's not like last season Condon started 13 and looked good when Habs went 18-4-3. :sarcasm:

Not that surprised to see a market for Condon, as far as backups go he's not as bad as the Habs made him out to be this offseason. Backup role is fine but not a lot of goalies can be a starter for Montreal. Plus Begervin probably decided to keep Sergachev and thought someone would claim Andrighetto. Carr made team fair and square but they like Flynn a lot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad