Mike Colligan: The Quiet Decline of Brooks Orpik

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Orpik used to clear the crease and win board battles. He doesn't anymore. That's a huge problem because he isn't good enough with his stick or positioning to make up for it. Add that to his decision making problems and you get the current version of Orpik. If he was on our 3rd pairing, he'd seem fine. But he's playing 20+ minutes against top opponents. Its a problem.

If he were playing fewer minutes then he'd be fine. However him seeing that much ice time is ridiculous.

Master Shake*

article is nonsense. There is no decline in Orpiks game. Hes a little banged up and sore sometimes. Get used to him being here another 5 years.
Man I do not understand Penguins fans sometimes. Never satisfied.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
article is nonsense. There is no decline in Orpiks game. Hes a little banged up and sore sometimes. Get used to him being here another 5 years.

If he hasn't declined, then he's been bad all along.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

okay

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Does an article like this affect his trade value at all? Before it just seemed to be fans noticing the drop in play, but it was widely thought that the league still held his play in high regard.

It seemed like before the article we thought his value (to Toronto at least) was around Kulemin, maybe Kulemin+. Does this article make the value for a trade to the Leafs maybe make the value more like Orpik+ for Kulemin?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does an article like this affect his trade value at all? Before it just seemed to be fans noticing the drop in play, but it was widely thought that the league still held his play in high regard.

It seemed like before the article we thought his value (to Toronto at least) was around Kulemin, maybe Kulemin+. Does this article make the value for a trade to the Leafs maybe make the value more like Orpik+ for Kulemin?

Is this a serious question? That can't be serious. Value is not based on articles written by writers.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

original.gif

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Is this a serious question? That can't be serious. Value is not based on articles written by writers.

20% serious. 80% wondering how an article like this would change Brooks' value/perception on the hypothetical HFBoards trade market.

I know that the real life GM of a NHL team won't make decisions based on something like that... well not now that Mike Milbury isn't running a team anymore. I understand that Ray Shero doesn't open up the USA Today, read a Kevin Allen article and make decisions based on that. At least I would hope not.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The Quiet Decline of Brooks Orpik

Thank God someone out there has some sense. I know a lot of these idiots covering the team think because message board posters don't have the same forum they do, that we don't know what we're talking about.

Mike Colligan knows what he's talking about:

http://******/tfG4K

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
" Orpik, 33, still ranks among the league leaders in hits, but this stat can be misleading for defensemen . . . A game with 60 hits doesn’t necessarily mean you played well. It means you finished your checks well as you chased the puck around the ice. "

That part can define why Orpik, Adams, and glass get ice time game after game... and grade out good in the eyes of the staff while having actual positional and puck possession weaknesses... the mentality that hits wear out teams by the third... that that takes precedence over burying them on the scoreboard or keeping them out of your zone

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
" Orpik, 33, still ranks among the league leaders in hits, but this stat can be misleading for defensemen . . . A game with 60 hits doesn’t necessarily mean you played well. It means you finished your checks well as you chased the puck around the ice. "

That part can define why Orpik, Adams, and glass get ice time game after game... and grade out good in the eyes of the staff while having actual positional and puck possession weaknesses... the mentality that hits wear out teams by the third... that that takes precedence over burying them on the scoreboard or keeping them out of your zone

:) ,,,

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

It's almost like our coaching staff makes their personnel decisions based purely off of stats like that one guy on here, and completely ignores what they see with their eyes.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
So what Orpik is too slow to maintain gap control, can't make smart outlet passes, and is best as a third pairing defensemen for physical ability, not a top four penalty killer. Is this a good summary?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So what Orpik is too slow to maintain gap control, can't make smart outlet passes, and is best as a third pairing defensemen for physical ability, not a top four penalty killer. Is this a good summary?

And we have two guys who are scratched or in the AHL when we are fully healthy who are better than him. That's key to the hate.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ooops. My bad.

Do you really think nobody would've posted that article for 36 hours? :laugh:

His whole 'do as I say, not as I do' brand of 'leadership' leaves a lot to be desired on a team that could use a REAL leader in his stead.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He lost me at the part about Orpik not being able to skate backwards as well. That sounds nonsensical and almost like something you'd hear on a sports call-in show. There's certainly a case to be made for Orpik's decline in overall effectiveness but there's literally nothing wrong with his skating and I can't imagine a scenario where only a player's backwards skating deteriorates. It wouldn't happen. So I didn't bother reading any further.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He lost me at the part about Orpik not being able to skate backwards as well. That sounds nonsensical and almost like something you'd hear on a sports call-in show. There's certainly a case to be made for Orpik's decline in overall effectiveness but there's literally nothing wrong with his skating and I can't imagine a scenario where only a player's backwards skating deteriorates. It wouldn't happen. So I didn't bother reading any further.

I think he's drawing that conclusion from his atrocious gap control.

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
Orpik should be paired with Scuderi and they should be the third pair.

Martin/Letang
Maata/Niskanen
Orpik/Scuderi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad