Mike Brown Appreciation (Not Traded)

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Brown is a little better than Burish. At least brown brings actual physical play and agitation, rather than just diving and chirping, Brown has actually caused Quick to meltdown. In addition, Brown is far better offensively, and no, I am not basing this off of his goal last night. Brown is not the best point getter, but when compared to Burish, Brown can actually create offensive zone pressure and the play does not completely die when the puck is on his stick. No, he's not going to score a lot of points, but his hockey IQ is far better than that of Burish. Burish is better defensively, but the difference is not very significant as some may think. Burish is an awful PK'er, usually on the 3rd PK unit. Burish is better defensively at ES but he isn't that much better, he would still be hemmed in by top competition.

And stop complaining about Doug Wilson saying good things about his players. Jesus Christ, some of you just need to find every excuse possible to bash DW. What do you think Wilson would say? "Brown is a pretty bad hockey player but Burish is injured and not gonna be back for a while so we need some insurance"? No, Wilson will say nice things about his players. This just proves that all you do is look at Wilson and complain, did you watch him at all with Edmonton or any other team? Or did you honestly think he was gonna be a good PK'er?

Historically, Burish has been a better player than Brown in just about every way. Hey, I'm absolutely elated with Brown's play (even changed my avy to him and have a nod to his epic quote of strikes being better than spares), but historically Burish is better than Brown. This year.... not so much.

I will agree with you that Brown > Burish simply based on contract and cap hit though... that we can agree on :p:

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
You know what's really crazy? If we get rid of the dead weight like Burish and Kennedy, we'd be saving $4 million in cap space. 4 ****ing million.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, he's been brutal. I don't want him on this team, but I don't want Brown either. I'm happy that he's had two good games but TK should be in over him.... but that's not saying much. Don't take me as a TK fan... more of a I value someone who can skate fast and handle the puck a moderately bit better (again terrible shot, terrible puck handler, but better than Brown).

At home, I can see us running with the 4th line as Torres - Desi - Brown. Away, I'd prefer Torres - Desi - TK/Havlat

If you think brown is bad defensively. Tk is worse. He also makes terrible choices with the puck and turns it over constantly. Havlat should get a spot long before tk. Tk has yet to find his role or commitment to the way the sharks/coaches want him to play . Brown on the other hand although only a couple games looks like he found his. He deserves a road game at least. He has earned that opportunity

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
If you think brown is bad defensively. Tk is worse. He also makes terrible choices with the puck and turns it over constantly. Havlat should get a spot long before tk. Tk has yet to find his role or commitment to the way the sharks/coaches want him to play . Brown on the other hand although only a couple games looks like he found his. He deserves a road game at least. He has earned that opportunity

When trying to judge how a player does I often look at Corsi Relative to QoC. TK (-3.9) ranks ahead of Havlat (-7.5), Burish (-8.8), and Desi (-10.6). In fact, Mike Brown has the worst Corsi Rel QoC (-14.6) on the team aside from Freddie Hamilton's -20.5.

Could someone who looks at advanced stats more in-depth point me in the right direction to see how much linemates had to do with this? In other words, TK spent some time with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. Brown has almost exclusively been on the 4th or 3rd line.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
True, but what happens if one of our forwards gets hurt? The current depth of the Sharks forwards is great for the playoffs.

I think keep Kennedy as our replacement and get a 5M dman instead of Havlat. We would be so deep. Our weakness is lack of depth at D and that would make up for it.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I think keep Kennedy as our replacement and get a 5M dman instead of Havlat. We would be so deep. Our weakness is lack of depth at D and that would make up for it.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of TK and Havlat in the offseason. Give a chance for our prospects to fill positions when needed.

Think about it, next year we would still be able to roll:

Hertl - JT - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto/Wingels
Torres - Pavs - Nieto/Wingels
Shep - Desi - xxx (Hayes, Burish, or some other 4th line grinder)

It's weird though how sparse left side TWD are. I'd love Campbell (only if they took Havlat back (and he waived his NTC), or at a reduced salary), Edler, Gardiner (minus a king's randsom), potentially Garrison (though his mobility scares me and I'd want them to take Stuart back if that happened, which again has NTC issues) as his shot is something we lack and I can see him and Braun making an interesting pairing, and finally, my this is dream target, Error for 50% salary retained! (which some BUF fans are advocating for as the 50% helps to reduce the cap penalty).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
What prospects are ready to contribute as full time NHLers? 0 in Worcester. They are ok for spot duty but hardly guarantees to be full time NHL players.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What prospects are ready to contribute as full time NHLers? 0 in Worcester. They are ok for spot duty but hardly guarantees to be full time NHL players.

I would say one could be ready in Freddie Hamilton. He has the talent to jump in to a bottom six spot and contribute.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

You're wrong. TK is bad, but Brown is worse. In fact Brown leaks shots more than anyone on the team historically.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I don't think anyone would've counted on Nieto either but it happened.

Side not - I am SO pumped about Nieto and Hertl. We have them for two more years at a combined cap hit of ~1.7mil.

One Burish cost more than Hertl and Nieto..... we're actually in very good cap shape moving forward I think.

I mean for the next 2 years we can roll with:
Hertl - JT - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Nieto/Wingels
Torres - Pavs - Nieto/Wingels

...that's damn solid.

Last edited:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
You can count on him about as much as Kennedy, He's been freaking worthless. He just doesn't fit here, if we can trade him to another team for another struggling tweener we should.

Kennedy is at least an nhl player. TK's been brutal defensively (thanks, bylsma), but he's still got the speed and physical edge to at least be a 4th line rw for us. and considering we gave up a 2nd for him less than a year ago, i expect him to stay at least another season

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA

Isn't Petter Emmanualson supposed to be available next year? That Swedish forward they signed who was supposed to be a energy forward? I also have to wonder if they think one of Goodrow, Tierney, or Kuraly might make the jump directly to the NHL.

Just wondering. I actually would not want to be forced to play a rookie in the bottom 6. But I would want a cheap forward who could be sat out frequently so that rookies could be given a shot. Like Brown.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think anyone would've counted on Nieto either but it happened.

Nieto is much more skilled and talented than Freddie Hamilton. It was a surprise he made the team but also he forced the coaches to keep him with his skill level. The injuries also helped his cause. Hamilton would have to do the same.

Kennedy is at least an nhl player. TK's been brutal defensively (thanks, bylsma), but he's still got the speed and physical edge to at least be a 4th line rw for us. and considering we gave up a 2nd for him less than a year ago, i expect him to stay at least another season

Exactly. Kennedy has had a bad year but I wouldn't count him out so quickly.

Isn't Petter Emmanualson supposed to be available next year? That Swedish forward they signed who was supposed to be a energy forward? I also have to wonder if they think one of Goodrow, Tierney, or Kuraly might make the jump directly to the NHL.

Just wondering. I actually would not want to be forced to play a rookie in the bottom 6. But I would want a cheap forward who could be sat out frequently so that rookies could be given a shot. Like Brown.

Kuraly is still in school. Goodrow is an unknown, Tierney has another year of junior left. Goodrow will be in the AHL next year. If the rookies want a chance, beat someone out for a job. Make the coaches keep you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Kuraly is still in school. Goodrow is an unknown, Tierney has another year of junior left. Goodrow will be in the AHL next year. If the rookies want a chance, beat someone out for a job. Make the coaches keep you.

Yet to do that, the rookies have to be given a chance first. This is among the first years in recent memory where the Sharks have given rookies a legit chance at winning an NHL job. So it's nice to say that, but even when rookies have outplayed veterans in the past the rookies usually seem required to be at least twice as good, with twice as few mistakes, to even get consideration.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nieto is much more skilled and talented than Freddie Hamilton. It was a surprise he made the team but also he forced the coaches to keep him with his skill level. The injuries also helped his cause. Hamilton would have to do the same.

But we're not asking Hamilton to be that skilled to replace someone like Kennedy or Burish at the 4th line level.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yet to do that, the rookies have to be given a chance first. This is among the first years in recent memory where the Sharks have given rookies a legit chance at winning an NHL job. So it's nice to say that, but even when rookies have outplayed veterans in the past the rookies usually seem required to be at least twice as good, with twice as few mistakes, to even get consideration.

I vehemently disagree. I think the Sharks have been guilty of the opposite...pencilling youngsters into the lineup before they've proven anything, and trading proven veterans or sitting on their hands only to watch those youngsters fail to deliver.

Really the only example of youngsters, in recent memory, who had a short leash are Sheppard and Demers...both players with injury issues amongst other issues. No different from the leash a proven vet like Havlat gets.

Jul 10, 2010
Mike Brown has almost signle handidly gotten into Quicks head by getting in his face and bumping him every now and then, and honestly i believe thats alot of whats wrong with Quick is the bumps hes taken from Brown.

People here will still tear him apart cause his advanced stats arent good, but forget that his contributions dont show up in stats...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad