Mike Brown Appreciation (Not Traded)

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Brown is the best trade Wilson made this year. Easily worth more than the 4th rounder we gave up for him.

And people wanted Havlat over Mike Brown. HA!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He's not the best defensive player, or the best offensive player, but dear god, he has stuck to his role. His goal was actually while he was out against Kopitar's line. That's just amazing. His performance in these 2 games has been worth more than that 4th round pick.

He really shouldn't play in Los Angeles though. I'm worried he will get hemmed in his own zone.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Yes... Mike Brown and Raffi Torres are the 2 types of players that Clowe and Doug Murray should have been. They are clearly making a difference in this series.

Now only if we still had Jody Shelley. :sarcasm:

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Mike Brown is the modern goon--where you need to skate fast atop of getting dirty.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
TK should be in over him, but much appreciated first two games anyways!

What has he proven? I have been nothing but disappointed with him, Brown and Havlat however offer more than he does.

Happy to see this guy doing well. He has taken quite the beating for the team this year (albeit he would for whoever he played for) he deserves some love from the fans and team.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
I've really enjoyed the bowling frame from Mike Brown. Two frames, two strikes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Just goes all out. The guy spent the last 4 years on terrible teams after breaking in with good ones. He doesn't want to go back to a losing team.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Shades of Scotty Nichol. I was one of the only ones glad to see him picked up. The playoffs have been night and day. He's come to play, along with his line mates. This is a joy to watch.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
It's just funny to me that he was pimped by DW as someone who could come in and help on the penalty kill. He had a total of 1:29 of PK time in the total regular season. Is he a decent energy guy who can seemingly fight? Yeah. But I'm still not thrilled with him.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's just funny to me that he was pimped by DW as someone who could come in and help on the penalty kill.

When was this? The only quote I could find is

"Mike plays a speed game and fits the fast, hard and supportive mantra that our team wants to play with," Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said. "He is a player with tremendous character, knows the Western Conference well and brings a tough, physical ingredient to our lineup."

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It's just funny to me that he was pimped by DW as someone who could come in and help on the penalty kill. He had a total of 1:29 of PK time in the total regular season. Is he a decent energy guy who can seemingly fight? Yeah. But I'm still not thrilled with him.

That;s okay. The Sharks could win 4 straight cups and you would think DW was terrible as a GM because he traded away a 25 year old prospect who hasn't made it out of the AHL.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
TK has been brutal this year. We got gypped by Pittsburgh.

Gf got a TK mystery puck. First thing she said to me: "Who's that? Is he cute?" Lets just say she was thoroughly disappointed when I showed her his picture. She gave the puck to a little kid.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
TK has been brutal this year. We got gypped by Pittsburgh.

Yes, he's been brutal. I don't want him on this team, but I don't want Brown either. I'm happy that he's had two good games but TK should be in over him.... but that's not saying much. Don't take me as a TK fan... more of a I value someone who can skate fast and handle the puck a moderately bit better (again terrible shot, terrible puck handler, but better than Brown).

At home, I can see us running with the 4th line as Torres - Desi - Brown. Away, I'd prefer Torres - Desi - TK/Havlat

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
When was this? The only quote I could find is
"

I remember it mostly from the video comments by DW, but I also knew it was picked up by some of the outside reporters. So here you go:

"Wilson also indicated that Brown should help on the penalty kill as well."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-piece-of-the-puzzle-for-cheap-in-mike-brown

"However, his aggressive, energetic style is tailor-made for support on the penalty kill, and fans can definitely expect him to contribute depth there."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/san-jose-sharks-add-mike-brown-heavy-mix-190300699--nhl.html

"many people have been talking about Brown’s ability to kill of penalties and his speedy skating,..."
http://www.sjsharksnews.com/#!The-Newest-Shark-Mike-Brown/c15nx/0470DE79-4049-4091-B7E4-067C42DC2278

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That doesn't sound like DW pimping his PK tires at all. Aren't those last two quotes by reporters, not DW?
From Doug Wilson's quotes, it just sounds like he got Brown for a 4th line energy role with Torres/Burish out, and maybe he could help on the PK.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
That doesn't sound like DW pimping his PK tires at all. Aren't those last two quotes by reporters, not DW?
From Doug Wilson's quotes, it just sounds like he got Brown for a 4th line energy role with Torres/Burish out, and maybe he could help on the PK.

Those reporters got the PK thing from DW's press interviews. I remember DW saying that Brown could replace Burish on the PK.

It's immaterial at this point. I just found it funny.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Those reporters got the PK thing from DW's press interviews. I remember DW saying that Brown could replace Burish on the PK.

It's immaterial at this point. I just found it funny.

FWIW I remember DW making comments about the PKing as well.. though I just figured he was trying to grab at any positives at all for getting Brown - the real reason for it was Burish going down long term. That's how I view it at least.

Maybe here's a better question: Burish vs Brown if Salary was the same? I think I'd still go Burish though his injuries are a little concerning... although this latest one is a freak accident.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I love how in his post game interview of game 2 Brown mentioned that the 4th line can't be a liability in the Playoffs. That reassures me that our 4th line is truly going to play their guts out... which is something we have lacked that has been tearing me apart these past few years. Yes I am the dude who always mentions and values hockey intangibles. I think Brown should stay in. He knows, accepts, and thrives in the role he is playing. The guy has heart and will take a puck to face if needed be. My type of dude... I haven't appreciated this much intangibles in a player since Nichol.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Brown is a little better than Burish. At least brown brings actual physical play and agitation, rather than just diving and chirping, Brown has actually caused Quick to meltdown. In addition, Brown is far better offensively, and no, I am not basing this off of his goal last night. Brown is not the best point getter, but when compared to Burish, Brown can actually create offensive zone pressure and the play does not completely die when the puck is on his stick. No, he's not going to score a lot of points, but his hockey IQ is far better than that of Burish. Burish is better defensively, but the difference is not very significant as some may think. Burish is an awful PK'er, usually on the 3rd PK unit. Burish is better defensively at ES but he isn't that much better, he would still be hemmed in by top competition.

And stop complaining about Doug Wilson saying good things about his players. Jesus Christ, some of you just need to find every excuse possible to bash DW. What do you think Wilson would say? "Brown is a pretty bad hockey player but Burish is injured and not gonna be back for a while so we need some insurance"? No, Wilson will say nice things about his players. This just proves that all you do is look at Wilson and complain, did you watch him at all with Edmonton or any other team? Or did you honestly think he was gonna be a good PK'er?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad