Mike boone against fighting

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
"I see more players get hurt from hits, collisions, from pucks, than I do from fights," said Gorges.

That's the truth.

Dirty stuff or even accidental stuff mid-game is far more dangerous than fighting. Hockey is not only a physical game it is a physical game played at a high speed with big people. And it is during the play that there is the greatest potential for injury. What happened last night was unfortunate. Parros landed in the worst way at the end of the fight.

And the thing is I wouldn't cry if fighting left the sport. But that would mean there would be a lot of other changes too. The refs would have to step it up discipline wise. And the whole physical aspect of the game would change. But while it's a part of the game I support having a fighter. Because if it's allowed and other teams have them, that means they can beat us up.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm slowly sliding to the "anti-fighting" crowd.

How many cheap shots do we see in the NFL exactly? American football is one of the toughest contact sport out there, and a lot of the players in that league (I'm trying to be politically correct here) come from some "harsh" neighborhood. And yet... You don't see fights all that often out there, nor cheapshots. It's about the culture of the sport.

I think the NHL should make a move sooner than later to ban the fighting out of this game.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm slowly sliding to the "anti-fighting" crowd.

How many cheap shots do we see in the NFL exactly? American football is one of the toughest contact sport out there, and a lot of the players in that league (I'm trying to be politically correct here) come from some "harsh" neighborhood. And yet... You don't see fights all that often out there, nor cheapshots. It's about the culture of the sport.

I think the NHL should make a move sooner than later to ban the fighting out of this game.

The fact that players have a stick, the game is fast and there is a big difference in weight classes and roles between players, makes it alot harder to compare it to any other sport for both sides of the arguments. The game is very emotional, thus those factors really come into play... which tends to create cheap shots and fights etc.

I dont think they'll ban fighting, they might restrict the rules eventually. However I don't think they'll ever ban it. I wont be surprised if we ever see a 'One fight per Game' rule. You fight more than once in a game, you get suspended for x amount of games

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Well of course, there's about 50+ hits in a game as opposed to 1-3 fights, sometimes 0, in a game. No freaking wonder players get hit more from hits.
Shots? Shall we go over how many time the puck is being tossed around??

It's a pretty ignorant statement.

I think you're being very ignorant here. Need a bigger sample size? How's about how many players get injured from fighting in a season? Or how many players have ended their careers due to fighting?

Fighting won't hurt anybody for very long unless there's an accident.

Heck if John Scott fights Brian Gionta he'd get a couple of bruises but he'd get up.

Everybody just tries to bubble wrap everything these days.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
That's total ********.

It's the rules that allow these guys to run wild.

If the league put its pants on and wanted to clean up the league, these guys would be out of a job in a heart beat.

It's simple: suspend a guy 20 games for a cheap shot the first time, 50 games the second time, a full season the 3rd time and banned for life a fourth time.

When the consequences to a cheap play are heavy enough, players will think twice about playing like idiots. It's as simple as that.

But sadly, the league has no intentions of evolving to protect it's players. Instead it's trying to work around the problem in all kinds of lukewarm ways (see hybrid icing).

Fighting in no way stops cheap shots.

Penalties and the threat of punishment does not deter any more.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The fact that players have a stick, the game is fast and there is a big difference in weight classes and roles between players, makes it alot harder to compare it to any other sport for both sides of the arguments. The game is very emotional, thus those factors really come into play... which tends to create cheap shots and fights etc.

I dont think they'll ban fighting, they might restrict the rules eventually. However I don't think they'll ever ban it. I wont be surprised if we ever see a 'One fight per Game' rule. You fight more than once in a game, you get suspended for x amount of games

Do you guys play other sports? Hockey isn't the only sport that is emotional. This what I hate most about hockey fans, they always walk around with their nose high and think things like emotions and adrenaline is unique to hockey. Have you guys ever played a soccer game? It gets chippy and emotional. Oh and despite the narrative of hockey fans, soccer is physical in its own way.There are cheap shots as well (try going in for a header and getting an elbow into non-protected ribs), but no one is killing each other. Football is also extremely emotional and very chippy, no one is running around with their helmets bashing opponents rib cages in.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Who cares what mike ****ing Boone says. He's a old print media monkey who was given a computer and blog site and told to bang at the keyboard. Hes horrible as a messenger , and the timing makes him look like an angry sore loser.

That concussion was a freak accident like when Boones typing actually produces something coherent.

Best post. :handclap:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Do you guys play other sports? Hockey isn't the only sport that is emotional. This what I hate most about hockey fans, they always walk around with their nose high and think things like emotions and adrenaline is unique to hockey. Have you guys ever played a soccer game? It gets chippy and emotional. Oh and despite the narrative of hockey fans, soccer is physical in its own way.There are cheap shots as well (try going in for a header and getting an elbow into non-protected ribs), but no one is killing each other. Football is also extremely emotional and very chippy, no one is running around with their helmets bashing opponents rib cages in.

I've played basketball games that are just as physical as hockey games.

Rugby? Football? Lacrosse!?! Same thing and more.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I've played basketball games that are just as physical as hockey games.

Rugby? Football? Lacrosse!?! Same thing and more.

I know a few guys who've played basketball, they all talk about how it doesn't enough credit for how physical it is. They also talk about the amount of cheapshots you can get in a game.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Unfortunately, the spirit around this has been completely lost amongst the players. Hitting is now done to hurt, not to separate the puck; it's one of the biggest problems in today's game.

The idea behind a hit was always to hurt, finishing checks on players without the puck has been going on for a lifetime, the speed/equipment have made it worse, separating the player from the puck was never the sole purpose for hitting, people believing this are simply naive and filled with an agenda, hitting is 100 times more dangerous than fighting.

CTE is big in football and they never fight, you can't stop the game from taking place, quite frankly I'm getting tired of the anti-fighting crowd pushing their agenda every time a one off incident occurs.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sure basketball and soccer are underrated in terms of how physical they can be, but you'd be grasping at straws to say its on the same level as football or hockey.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Sure basketball and soccer are underrated in terms of how physical they can be, but youd be gtasping at straws to say its on the same level as football or hockey.

Sure, but another instance of grasping at straws is saying hockey needs fighting because of cheap shots and emotions.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you're being very ignorant here. Need a bigger sample size? How's about how many players get injured from fighting in a season? Or how many players have ended their careers due to fighting?

Fighting won't hurt anybody for very long unless there's an accident.

Heck if John Scott fights Brian Gionta he'd get a couple of bruises but he'd get up.

Everybody just tries to bubble wrap everything these days.

I'm the ignorant one yet you say 6'8 enforcer fights 5'7 skilled player would lead to nothing...
Wow, way to make a case.

And wasn't it clear in my post?? I don't even care about injuries.
What I'm saying is comparing hits to fights is Pejorative Slured, and that fighting does not change a thing to hockey.

Penalties and the threat of punishment does not deter anymore.

True, except that's probably because there's a huge double standard applied, a lot of contradictions, and the punishments were never harsh enough to begin with.

Another thing that is for sure, fighting does not prevent anything.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sure, but another instance of grasping at straws is saying hockey needs fighting because of cheap shots and emotions.

Thats fine. I didnt say anything in regards to that. Just pointing out how football and hockey are in their own universe.

I hate all the people who are using this Parros incident as a platform to voice their opinions on fighting. This could have hapenned in a scrum or in a corner. Fluke.

Analyzer*

Hmmm, where did I say that I think fighting is the cause for most injuries?? What? :huh:

I said if you can make the difference between hitting and fighting, you shouldn't be talking about the matter.

And yes, the point of a fight is to punch the other guy until he drops or gives up. So ya, the point of fighting is to hurt your opponent. You're gonna actually contradict that??

Again, why would anybody compare fighting to hitting is a mystery to me. How many hits do you have in a game?? 40-60?? Sometimes even more? How many fights? 1-3? Sometimes none?..So ya, no freaking wonder there are more injuries out of hits if all you do is count without looking at ratios.

But my point isn't even about injuries. I don't care if Parros wants to drop the gloves a fight, that's his decision, he's a grown ass man, he's entitled to do whatever he wants.

My point is that it has no effect on the game, none at all. You want fights in the game because you're entertained, because you like them, because it's always been there, Fine. But don't freaking argue it's a necessity to the actual game, and don't compare them to hits.

I seriously have no freaking clue what you're talking about with other sports. Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, none of them allow fights. When they do, players are severely punished.

And that's what it's come down to you? Anybody that says they don't want fighting in the game should go watch....bowling...
Jesus man, get a grip on yourself.

Baseball has bench clearing brawls quite frequently. Fights do come out of it.

Fighting does nothing... I guess the crowd going from slight cheers to full on yelling and screaming is nothing ? I guess the team getting motivated does nothing ? I guess sending a message that this pansy ass of a ****ing team will actually defend its self this year is nothing ? Or for that matter any team trying to make a statement that they won't be intimidated ? To me, that shows fighting says a lot.

To say fighting prevents nothing is like saying suspensions prevent nothing. Might as well get rid of those then.

Seriously, if you think fighting doesn't add, or do anything you're free to go somewhere else and enjoy another sport.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The idea behind a hit was always to hurt, finishing checks on players without the puck has been going on for a lifetime, the speed/equipment have made it worse, separating the player from the puck was never the sole purpose for hitting, people believing this are simply naive and filled with an agenda, hitting is 100 times more dangerous than fighting.

CTE is big in football and they never fight, you can't stop the game from taking place, quite frankly I'm getting tired of the anti-fighting crowd pushing their agenda every time a one off incident occurs.

Wrong. Finishing your checks is a saying coaches have come up with. Matter of fact, there are rules in place that will penalize you from hitting someone without the puck.
The only reason it is sometimes permitted is because they judge that the player was already engaged in checking the player that got rid of the puck. That's the only reason.

Hockey being a physical sport, and guys being competitive and aggressive, hitting has turned into ''I wanna hurt the guy''. It turned into a kind of strategy where you try to hit the opponent as hard and as often as you can as it'll make them tired.
But at the root of it, the point of a check is to knock someone off the puck.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Fighting does nothing... I guess the crowd going from slight cheers to full on yelling and screaming is nothing ? I guess the team getting motivated does nothing ? I guess sending a message that this pansy ass of a ****ing team will actually defend its self this year is nothing ? Or for that matter any team trying to make a statement that they won't be intimidated ? To me, that shows fighting says a lot.

To say fighting prevents nothing is like saying suspensions prevent nothing. Might as well get rid of those then.

Seriously, if you think fighting doesn't add, or do anything you're free to go somewhere else and enjoy another sport.

Momentum is a myth too according to some.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

No, I won't go somewhere else, and I do enjoy other sports. But thanks for that suggestion I guess..

Fighting makes the cheer go ''Yay''...wow...Solid, Solid argument..:facepalm:

So you're happy we weren't intimidated yesterday? Me too. I'm glad we had guys beat on the Leafs for a change. That was neat.
Unfortunately though, Prust still got hit from behind twice, MaxPac got injured by a goon, Parros left on a stretcher (granted, accidental), Subban was a target all night, and MOST IMPORTANTLY we lost.

But ya, thanks for proving that fighting changes so much..:laugh:

Fighting is there for entertainment value only. That's it that's all. We're in 2013, use your brain a little.

And suspensions do not work. They shouldn't remove them, they should make them harsher.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm the ignorant one yet you say 6'8 enforcer fights 5'7 skilled player would lead to nothing...
Wow, way to make a case.

And wasn't it clear in my post?? I don't even care about injuries.
What I'm saying is comparing hits to fights is Pejorative Slured, and that fighting does not change a thing to hockey.

True, except that's probably because there's a huge double standard applied, a lot of contradictions, and the punishments were never harsh enough to begin with.

Another thing that is for sure, fighting does not prevent anything.

This is not for sure, injuries still happen and the game continues on, no one ever suggested otherwise and it was never the intention of enforcers to prevent hockey from happening.

I get a kick out of the anti-fighting crowd, they want fighting gone under the guise of player safety, yet 99% of them don't give two ***** about Mr. Parros, most prefer he were gone and they certainly don't give a **** about his well-being, pulling on peoples heart strings to get what you want.

You don't give a **** about george, lets stop the charade.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Wrong. Finishing your checks is a saying coaches have come up with. Matter of fact, there are rules in place that will penalize you from hitting someone without the puck.
The only reason it is sometimes permitted is because they judge that the player was already engaged in checking the player that got rid of the puck. That's the only reason.

Hockey being a physical sport, and guys being competitive and aggressive, hitting has turned into ''I wanna hurt the guy''. It turned into a kind of strategy where you try to hit the opponent as hard and as often as you can as it'll make them tired.
But at the root of it, the point of a check is to knock someone off the puck.

Hitting players without the puck is lower than its been, Scott Stevens wouldn't make it through the season, ever, if he were playing under todays rules.

Hitting has always been about trying to hurt the guy. You're hugely naive if you think otherwise.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Penalties and the threat of punishment does not deter any more.

The only true deterrence is losing. If cheapshots were penalized such that they significantly hurt your chances to win the game then players would either stop or coaches would no longer play them. Make the punishment actually punishing and it will work as a deterrent. For example, let's say for every game that a player is suspended for, his team loses 1 point in the standings. Do you think guys like Cooke/Kaleta will still go around throwing cheap shots if it was the difference between making the playoffs and not. And if they didn't adapt, do you think GMs would still sign them or coaches would play them. They would either clean up their act or be out of the NHL.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
But ya, thanks for proving that fighting changes so much..:laugh:

Fighting is there for entertainment value only. That's it that's all. We're in 2013, use your brain a little.

And suspensions do not work. They shouldn't remove them, they should make them harsher.

Do you miss the thousands of players who say x fighting x really gave us some energy? Or are they lying for entertainment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad