Mike boone against fighting

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How many people shell out hundreds of dollars to go watch a hockey game with the expectation of watching a fight? I mean, it's a nice sweetener for some but people who want to watch fights watch fighting sports. Hockey fights generally are pretty boring, short, quick wrestling matches with a majority of punches to the helmet and a take down. People would probably whine at first but it's hard to imagine a lot of paying customers giving up watching NHL hockey over it, even if they say they would. People whine about all kinds of changes, a lot of people were going to stop watching if the NHL adopted the shootout.

I'm not even necessarily making an argument AGAINST fighting in the league, just that I don't believe the bottom line will be impacted too much. It's pretty inevitable with everything we're learning about concussions and what headshots are doing to these guys after the fact that fighting will be out of the NHL, whether we like it or not IMO. TBH it's harder for me to enjoy fights or big hits than it was just from some of the things I've learned about the effects of head trauma in sports.
I think that's the kicker for me...

90% of fights are terrible, no punches landed, just a lot of tugging and grabbing that ends with a takedown.

It's rare you'll see the type of fight that we saw last week with Lucic/Rechliz where two guys are just going toe to toe.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Different sports have different physical logistics which makes fighting more difficult to engage in consistently.

But fighting is actually quite tame in most cases compared to the beatings the body can take "just playing the game". Fighters can be eliminated from the league, and crusaders would parrot it as a great victory, but that too is mere spectacle, as there always will be players who lose it and exact vengeance, regardless of their skill level; even Lady Byng winner Alfredsson didn't mind shooting the puck directly at someone.

Analyzer*

Maybe the fact that the stakes in those games are raised considerably is what lends to it being the "best hockey", not the fact that there's no fighting?

I mean, it stands to reason Olympic hockey is going to be more exciting than a regular old hockey game in December, fighting or no fighting.

No, it won't. Olympic hockey is pretty lame. The only good/interesting games in there are when a power house team is upset by a non- powerhouse country.

Top 5 team Vs a bottom 5 team usually ends up in a blowout. Not only that, it's seen coming, so not that interesting.

Top 5 team Vs. another top 5 team is a close game. Kind of like any top team in the NHL vs another top team.

Fighting is too dangerous ? Why, because 1 person out of every 10 on the IR are hurt during a fight ? If you want to make the game safer, take out hitting.

Parros went flying over Orr and hit his chin. People want fighting gone because of the changes a player, without a helmet, falls and hits his head on the ice ?

Slew foots can cause the same thing. Hell, a normal, clean hit can cause a player to smash his head on the ice.

I know, let's take out any and all physical contact and make the players well full cages with 6 pillows mixed with foam to protect their heads.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
You mean some fans like fighting in hockey and some like skill.

So your defense of fighting in hockey is because the popularity of UFC is on the rise? That's an interesting argument. Do you really go the games to see if there will be a fight or do you go to watch the guys like Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane.

It seems to me that if fighting was the driving force behind hockey's popularity, then John Scott and Colton Orr would be the highest paid players in the league and the four players I just mentioned would be sidebars to the main event

The most popular sport in the world is soccer and basketball is right up there, too. If you want to drag other sports into the analogy, drag them all in.

Did you read my post and the post I was replying to? I had an opinion as to why fighting will not be taken out of hockey any time soon, I didn't defend it or say it was all that makes hockey popular.

I have common sense improvements that could be applied to Soccer and Baseball, but most fans would disagree with me. The heart wants what the heart wants in more than love. Enough people love the game the way it is that the minority will never change aspects of it that seem to make sense.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
How many people shell out hundreds of dollars to go watch a hockey game with the expectation of watching a fight? I mean, it's a nice sweetener for some but people who want to watch fights watch fighting sports. Hockey fights generally are pretty boring, short, quick wrestling matches with a majority of punches to the helmet and a take down.

People would probably whine at first but it's hard to imagine a lot of paying customers giving up watching NHL hockey over it, even if they say they would. People whine about all kinds of changes, a lot of people were going to stop watching if the NHL adopted the shootout.

I'm not even necessarily making an argument AGAINST fighting in the league, just that I don't believe the bottom line will be impacted too much. It's pretty inevitable with everything we're learning about concussions and what headshots are doing to these guys after the fact that fighting will be out of the NHL, whether we like it or not IMO. TBH it's harder for me to enjoy fights or big hits than it was just from some of the things I've learned about the effects of head trauma in sports.

hey arent you that guy who pisses people off on twitter??

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fighting is too dangerous ? Why, because 1 person out of every 10 on the IR are hurt during a fight ? If you want to make the game safer, take out hitting.

And then what? Take out sticks because some players get high sticked??

If you can't make the difference between fighting and hitting, then as much as it sucks to say, you shouldn't have an opinion on the matter.

The true essence of hitting is to knock the guy off the puck. That's why hitting is part of the game. It's not to decapitate your opponent or send him to the ER.
The point of a fight is to hurt your opponent and literally KO him.

Can't believe you can't make a difference.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The "fighting stops x from happening" is the lamest justification to keep fighting in the game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The true essence of hitting is to knock the guy off the puck. That's why hitting is part of the game. It's not to decapitate your opponent or send him to the ER.

Unfortunately, the spirit around this has been completely lost amongst the players. Hitting is now done to hurt, not to separate the puck; it's one of the biggest problems in today's game.

Analyzer*

And then what? Take out sticks because some players get high sticked??

If you can't make the difference between fighting and hitting, then as much as it sucks to say, you shouldn't have an opinion on the matter.

The point of a fight is to hurt your opponent and literally KO him.

Can't believe you can't make a difference.

So, you're telling me the point of fighting is to send people to the ER ?

You do know that everyone target unsuspecting people and puts everything they have behind the hit, including many of them jumping to hurt someone.

Apparently you think fighting is the main cause for injuries and taking it out would make the game safer ? What kind of deluded, idiotic opinion is that ?

How many players have received concussions from fighting ? Now, think about how many people have received concussions from being hit.

How many players have received broken bones from fighting.
How many players have received broken bones from being hit ?

If you and others want the game to be "safer", then target the right thing. Personally, I'd be against that, too.

Instead of telling people to go watch MMA, or boxing, or whatever to see fights, how about those who want it gone, go watch Soccer. Oh wait, fighting, yet rare, does occur in soccer, too. Hell, massive brawls between the teams and fans occur. I guess you can't watch that.

There's basketball. Oh wait, there's fighting in that, yet rare, as well. Sorry, sorry. I'll think of a sport for you sensitive types that doesn't have any fighting...

Baseball ? Hah, no.

Football ? I think they try to fight, but it never gets that far. I guess you could watch that ?

Worst comes to worst, you can become avid fans of bowling, or darts.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'm for fighting.

Yesterday was an unfortunate accident. For example, it could have happen if Parros would have been hit with a body-check and, with the whoop-lash effect, hitting his head on the ice. Same thing. Would we be talking about banning hit? Don't think so.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm for fighting.

Yesterday was an unfortunate accident. For example, it could have happen if Parros would have been hit with a body-check and, with the whoop-lash effect, hitting his head on the ice. Same thing. Would we be talking about banning hit? Don't think so.

I'm okay with fighting, not crazy about staged fights though.

Still, there's a huge difference between a hit and a fight in terms of hockey.

Not every hit is deemed illegal. Interference, charging, etc.. are illegal and get a penalty but most hits are legal. Every single fight is 'illegal' and is penalized.

And the easiest and most logical answer. If fighting were part of the game, the clock wouldn't stop. A hit happens during a play. The play stops when a fight happens.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Football ? I think they try to fight, but it never gets that far. I guess you could watch that ?

American football has very stringent rules. But even without them, the players are far too well protected with their helmets and "body armor" for any fight to go far. Even without the rules, the players are focused on the next play immediately after the previous play was done and the coach is telling the signal caller some long string of words and numbers that everyone has to understand.

If anything, if football did have an environment conducive to fighting, it'd be between the WRs and CBs because they have the biggest mouths.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
"I see more players get hurt from hits, collisions, from pucks, than I do from fights," said Gorges.

"I don't think saying because a player got hurt in a fight that now we have to talk about taking fighting away. And I bet that if you ask George (Parros), he'll be the first to agree with me on that one too."

I agree with Josh

Analyzer*

American football has very stringent rules. But even without them, the players are far too well protected with their helmets and "body armor" for any fight to go far. Even without the rules, the players are focused on the next play immediately after the previous play was done and the coach is telling the signal caller some long string of words and numbers that everyone has to understand.

If anything, if football did have an environment conducive to fighting, it'd be between the WRs and CBs because they have the biggest mouths.

That's what I meant with try. Those helmets seem to be well done up, too. Even if you attempted to take it off, you'd be mobbed by everyone. I believe I've seen on tsn people throw body shots. Also saw a coach punch a player in the throat.

I guess Gorges doesn't know the difference between hitting and fighting.

:shakehead

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I love this hilariously low-brow commentary by the OP, I can't tell if he's serious or not. Some people like the sport, some people like the violence. We can all have differing opinions.

I'd prefer to watch hockey with less fighting and more space for players with skill. I think it's more exciting.

Claiming Boone is classless? :laugh

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
If they take fighting out of hockey (I don't think they should), refs need to start calling more penalties.

Hockey is the only sport I know of where refs aren't expected to call every penalty they see. While soccer has the advantage rules, etc. most sports expect their refs to call what they see and not to be some kind of "conductor" for the flow and mood of the game. It's due to this in part that fighting developed a place in hockey.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I like fighting
I like hockey

There is no need whatsoever for the two to be together... Different sports entirely.

NHL "fighting" isn't a part of hockey, it's a part of the entertainment business that is the NHL.

Completely unnecessary to the game... But obviously a very much enjoyed part of the spectacle.

People would enjoy fighting in any sport.... Our collective appreciation of violence shouldn't be mistaken for anything more than that.

Someone will eventually die as a result, then the lawyers & politicians will get involved, shame that it will have to come to that.

that's a flat out lie. The players don't fight to sate some sort of fan based vampirism, they fight because its the most effective way to enforce a collective standard of acceptable conduct.

I've played, was never very good but have played enough to see lawyers ( never played with a politician) drop the gloves in a beer league with more guys on the benches than in the stands when an opponent has been deemed to be taking liberties. Who, precisely, are the targets for this entertainment ?

I don't have any problem with people being against fighting or those that think the game would be " better" without it. Different strokes for different folks. But when you ask the people who are the ones who will suffer the consequences of more, or less fights and it comes back unanimously in support of fighting, what does that say ?

Is your position that because you really don't like fighting or are ignorant of its role that your position should supplant the collective opinion of more than 95% of all players past and present ? Really ?

I like fights, I have no problem saying so. My support for fights dies the day the players say they dont need it anymore. If your waiting for this day to come, you might want to pull up a chair.

I like hockey a lot, have followed it as long as I can remember but I'm willing to listen to the opinion of the players on how they think is the best way to ensure their safety. The players, not some fans sitting on a barcalounger eating bon bons who can make proclamations as to how the game should be without EVER having to face the consequences for this improvement.

And I dont see why you need to put fighting in quotations. Are you suggesting its staged in order to sate the non existent vampire fans you imply the league is chasing ?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
"I see more players get hurt from hits, collisions, from pucks, than I do from fights," said Gorges.

"I don't think saying because a player got hurt in a fight that now we have to talk about taking fighting away. And I bet that if you ask George (Parros), he'll be the first to agree with me on that one too."

I agree with Josh

Me too. Murray got injured ( twice) in practice, should we ban practices in the pursuit of "absolute player safety" ?

I hope big George makes a speedy recovery.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

I agree with Josh

Duh? Why would Parros want fighting out of hockey. It's how he earns his living.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/about-last-night-123

I wont be reading anymore mike boone..

Cant stand the against fighting some non hockey playing folk try to preach.

Fighting is part of hockey, if u dont like it dont watch hockey.

How did u fall in love with hockey in the first place if u dont like hockey fights

I won't be reading anymore Toro, correctly spelling "you" and using proper punctuation is a part of writing- if you don't like it, don't write on hockey message boards.

Did I do this right?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So, you're telling me the point of fighting is to send people to the ER ?

You do know that everyone target unsuspecting people and puts everything they have behind the hit, including many of them jumping to hurt someone.

Apparently you think fighting is the main cause for injuries and taking it out would make the game safer ? What kind of deluded, idiotic opinion is that ?

How many players have received concussions from fighting ? Now, think about how many people have received concussions from being hit.

How many players have received broken bones from fighting.
How many players have received broken bones from being hit ?

If you and others want the game to be "safer", then target the right thing. Personally, I'd be against that, too.

Instead of telling people to go watch MMA, or boxing, or whatever to see fights, how about those who want it gone, go watch Soccer. Oh wait, fighting, yet rare, does occur in soccer, too. Hell, massive brawls between the teams and fans occur. I guess you can't watch that.

There's basketball. Oh wait, there's fighting in that, yet rare, as well. Sorry, sorry. I'll think of a sport for you sensitive types that doesn't have any fighting...

Baseball ? Hah, no.

Hmmm, where did I say that I think fighting is the cause for most injuries?? What? :huh:

I said if you can make the difference between hitting and fighting, you shouldn't be talking about the matter.

And yes, the point of a fight is to punch the other guy until he drops or gives up. So ya, the point of fighting is to hurt your opponent. You're gonna actually contradict that??

Again, why would anybody compare fighting to hitting is a mystery to me. How many hits do you have in a game?? 40-60?? Sometimes even more? How many fights? 1-3? Sometimes none?..So ya, no freaking wonder there are more injuries out of hits if all you do is count without looking at ratios.

But my point isn't even about injuries. I don't care if Parros wants to drop the gloves a fight, that's his decision, he's a grown ass man, he's entitled to do whatever he wants.

My point is that it has no effect on the game, none at all. You want fights in the game because you're entertained, because you like them, because it's always been there, Fine. But don't freaking argue it's a necessity to the actual game, and don't compare them to hits.

I seriously have no freaking clue what you're talking about with other sports. Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, none of them allow fights. When they do, players are severely punished.

And that's what it's come down to you? Anybody that says they don't want fighting in the game should go watch....bowling...
Jesus man, get a grip on yourself.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I agree with Josh

Well of course, there's about 50+ hits in a game as opposed to 1-3 fights, sometimes 0, in a game. No freaking wonder players get hit more from hits.
Shots? Shall we go over how many time the puck is being tossed around??

It's a pretty ignorant statement.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't really care - I love that fighting's in the game. Sometimes there are too many fights (like the second scrap between Parros-Orr last night was not really needed) but on the rare occasion that there's a full out brawl, it is a sight to see and I truly believe it keeps some players honest. Especially bigger, dirtier players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->