Confirmed with Link: Mike Bales resigns as goaltending coach

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Right, but that's different than the "he got a promotion" explanation coming from DW.

But he did get a promotion. He went from being a goalie coach to an assistant coach. One, I imagine, pays more than the other. And since we apparently don't want to/don't care enough to pay him as an assistant coach, he moved on

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
But he did get a promotion. He went from being a goalie coach to an assistant coach. One, I imagine, pays more than the other. And since we apparently don't want to/don't care enough to pay him as an assistant coach, he moved on

I guess it depends on what you consider a promotion. To me, a promotion means you move up in the organization, and get more money and responsibility in the process. Since Bales is likely to continue to function as a goalie coach, despite the change of title, it's a lateral move. Since he got more money to do the same job, what he got was a "raise" and not a promotion. The Hurricanes framed it as a promotion so they could avoid the narrative that they cheaped out, yet again. But when you consider the facts that Bales is doing the same job, with the same responsibility, but with more money, it's pretty obvious that's what they did.

In other words, the change in title wasn't the Hurricanes' issue. They clearly could have made him an Assistant Coach in charge of goaltending. Where the Hurricanes balked was with the extra money.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Are there rules about a maximum number of assistant coaches on an NHL team? I know there are such rules for the NFL and other pro (and college) sports, but I'm not sure about the NHL.

Point is, if giving Bales an assistant coach position means getting rid of one of the assistant coaches, I'd rather promote Vellucci than Bales.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm gonna go ahead and get on the record here as saying that I didn't even know this guy's name three days ago, and I don't actually give a shit.

Yes, that's right. I'm bragging about my ignorance and indifference.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Are there rules about a maximum number of assistant coaches on an NHL team? I know there are such rules for the NFL and other pro (and college) sports, but I'm not sure about the NHL.

Point is, if giving Bales an assistant coach position means getting rid of one of the assistant coaches, I'd rather promote Vellucci than Bales.
No rules on the number of coaches or coach pay. If the Sabres want to have an assistant coach as a personal skills coach for each player, that's entirely their right. And with that roster, they might need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad