Confirmed with Link: Mike Bales resigns as goaltending coach

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
IIRC Bales' departure from Pittsburgh was also weird, abrupt, and oddly timed. so maybe it's just a thing with this guy. maybe he's forthright with management about his professional goals and has the respect with his colleagues to be granted amicable severance of his contract. orrr, maybe something nefarious is afoot. but the former seems like the more likely scenario.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sign Ward for 1 year (as a 3rd NHL goalie) to be a mentor to and offer an insurance policy for Nedeljkovic. Transition him to an official coaching staff position the following season.

Ward is a bit of a weird case of bad metrics, good record the last 2 years.

2017/18: 41 games of Cam Ward - Canes won at a 100 point pace. 41 games of Scott Darling - Canes won at a 66 point pace: SV% .906
2018/19: 32 games of Cam Ward - Hawks won at a 92 point pace. 37 games of Crawford - Hawks won at a 73 point pace: SV% .897

EDIT: That said, I think we've moved on from Ward and should probably stay moved on.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sign Ward for 1 year (as a 3rd NHL goalie) to be a mentor to and offer an insurance policy for Nedeljkovic. Transition him to an official coaching staff position the following season.
Ew, no. I'll take Tokarski over Ward for insurance, and that's not saying much. If he wants to get into coaching, cool I guess. He can start with Charlotte.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Looking more and more like he's headed to Buffalo. If so, they have Krueger (ex Canes scout), Smith (ex. D coach), Bales (ex Goalie coach) and there are some rumblings they have interest in Vellucci as an assistant...though not sure how valid those rumblings are.

Stockpiling coaches who were a part of the 'systemic acceptance of mediocrity', as Brindy pretty much put it with CanesCountry last week doesn't worry me. More power to them, actually. Especially now that they've signed Skinner as long as they have.

We'll be fine. Only one who may hurt is Vellucci, but he needed an opportunity to grow his resume, and he was probably blocked from doing that here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Stockpiling coaches who were a part of the 'systemic acceptance of mediocrity', as Brindy pretty much put it with CanesCountry last week doesn't worry me. More power to them, actually. Especially now that they've signed Skinner as long as they have.

We'll be fine. Only one who may hurt is Vellucci, but he needed an opportunity to grow his resume, and he was probably blocked from doing that here.

I really don't see it that way.
- Brindy said he wanted Smith to stay, but Smith chose to leave. Saying he was part of the systematic acceptance of mediocrity would be like saying RBA was.
- Krueger was a scout here AGES ago, so can't lump him into that category
- Bales was only here for 2 years and was part of the turn-around so can't lump him into that category
- Vellucci clearly can't be lumped into that category.

I'm not sweating losing Smith (clearly) and Bales, but Brindy relied heavily on Bales.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Since he’s walking away from a contract this smells a little, unless he’s locked into a long term contract that pays poo and after a year like he just had he has much improved value and merely wishes to capitalize.

If you guys are right about management wanting their own guy and this was a Peters “firing not firing” then it still smells a little. Couldn’t ask someone to do a better job....

But it's offseason. What fun would that be to just sit back and watch things play out?

Exactly this @Boom Boom Apathy . Otherwise I wouldn't be able to comment on Bleed's post and ream him for being such a negative nelly/conspiracy theory monger. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Exactly this @Boom Boom Apathy . Otherwise I wouldn't be able to comment on Bleed's post and ream him for being such a negative nelly/conspiracy theory monger. :sarcasm:
Hey!

I prefer negative Nancy. Nelly was that bitch from Little House on the Prairie, and I wanted a house to fall on her.

And Bales probably would get more money in Buffalo! He just did a kick ass job on a team seemingly on the up and he just quit, Rita Skeeter would be all over this. The off season is all about the soap opera, and I love this shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad