Confirmed with Link: Mike Bales resigns as goaltending coach

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Oh, I mean there's a few things to discuss....

STM select-a-seat is this week, the draft is rapidly approaching, the first stage of what will likely be a multi-year process to renovate the arena has begun with the replacement of the scoreboard, Canes Open House is in a couple weeks, we're going to be unveiling a new road uniform that has potential to effectively rebrand the franchise, and we just made it to the ECF after missing the playoffs for 9 straight years. I mean, there's a lot going in a positive direction with this franchise to continue to get roped into the "why is the sky falling today" comments we tend to see.
The most important thing to discuss is my son (draft eligible 2031) is getting fitted for his first hockey equipment in approximately 10 minutes.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Oh, I mean there's a few things to discuss....

STM select-a-seat is this week, the draft is rapidly approaching, the first stage of what will likely be a multi-year process to renovate the arena has begun with the replacement of the scoreboard, Canes Open House is in a couple weeks, we're going to be unveiling a new road uniform that has potential to effectively rebrand the franchise, and we just made it to the ECF after missing the playoffs for 9 straight years. I mean, there's a lot going in a positive direction with this franchise to continue to get roped into the "why is the sky falling today" comments we tend to see.

Did you get an email about when the select-a-seat is? I haven't gotten anything yet, although I am a 22 game plan guy, not a full STM, so maybe those go out later.

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do imagine that regardless of whether we pinch pennies on coaches and front office personnel, that an assistant coach gets more money than a goalie coach in most cases. I could be wrong, but it seems like that would be the case. So perhaps that's the easiest way to get a raise for Bales is to technically be an assistant coach even if he will mostly handle goalies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I do imagine that regardless of whether we pinch pennies on coaches and front office personnel, that an assistant coach gets more money than a goalie coach in most cases. I could be wrong, but it seems like that would be the case. So perhaps that's the easiest way to get a raise for Bales is to technically be an assistant coach even if he will mostly handle goalies.

Yes, but the point is, if it's the same job, different title/salary, then surely the Canes could have done the same thing, no? Nobody had to be hired/fired or shifted around. All I'm saying is that the "official" explanation doesn't really clear anything up. It only makes it sound even more like the guy left over a couple of bucks, which, considering the results he had this past season, seems unfortunate and unnecessary.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean, if they wanted to, sure. Perhaps they just didn't care? His goalies were poor one year (certainly might have been out of his control) and very good the next (certainly might have been out of his control). He wasn't hired by them. Maybe they just didn't care enough to do so when they can bring in just a goalie coach that they pick for cheaper.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I mean, if they wanted to, sure. Perhaps they just didn't care? His goalies were poor one year (certainly might have been out of his control) and very good the next (certainly might have been out of his control). He wasn't hired by them. Maybe they just didn't care enough to do so when they can bring in just a goalie coach that they pick for cheaper.

Right, but that's different than the "he got a promotion" explanation coming from DW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad