Mike Babcock

Mar 26, 2010
Babcock got a lot of credit for winning one cup when he had a roster featuring three of the best 15-20 players in the league at the time. The guy loves grinders more than he loves his mother.
Babcock won a Cup 11 years ago. His coaching style is obsolete now.

#firebabcock

Reactions: AKAChip

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Babcock has now lost his last 6 playoff series and last 8 of 9[

Well it"s real simple ...he doesn't know how to process in-game situations...so he doesn't make adjustments. The evidence is clear...he overvalues hard working players that lack skill and talent and undervalues the skilled players by not playing them enough or even together in critical situations.

He isn't going to change,even though his 'method' has only worked once in all the years he has coached. Most of those teams had rosters capable of winning more than they did. I don't give him credit for International victory...those teams would have won without a coach.

I've seen enough of his act! I truly hope he is gone!

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
as good as Boston is...that performance from the Leafs was inexcusable for a game 7.... let alone a playoff game...
it,s gotta fall on the coach imo

question is who the &%@* do you replace him with?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Babcock got a lot of credit for winning one cup when he had a roster featuring three of the best 15-20 players in the league at the time. The guy loves grinders more than he loves his mother.
Basically,he is over-rated,by quite a bit. I believed in Shanny,plus Mike seemed a good choice at the time. Now it is all to clear that he isn't the right coach ,that he doesn't know how to help his players win.Three first round exits! It' isn't that they lost as much as the fact that he did nothing to try and out coach his opponents. He failed!

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Basically,he is over-rated,by quite a bit. I believed in Shanny,plus Mike seemed a good choice at the time. Now it is all to clear that he isn't the right coach ,that he doesn't know how to help his players win.Three first round exits! It' isn't that they lost as much as the fact that he did nothing to try and out coach his opponents. He failed!
Coaches like Babcock believe they have all the answers and will never adapt. It’s just reality. Granted, the Leafs have a number of holes, especially on defence but he makes things a hell of a lot harder on the team than he needs to with some truly insane roster decisions. He thinks he’s much smarter than he is.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Coaches like Babcock believe they have all the answers and will never adapt. It’s just reality. Granted, the Leafs have a number of holes, especially on defence but he makes things a hell of a lot harder on the team than he needs to with some truly insane roster decisions. He thinks he’s much smarter than he is.
He thinks keeping at something will eventually work. even though he keeps failing. this is a results oriented business...he hasn't tried anything new in 3 years...he should be shown the door.

Reactions: Mbraunm

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It's better than not making the playoffs, which is likely what would have happened to those wings teams or the Leafs last year (I think they squeak in this year under a different coach). Baudreau has the same problem, he makes a weak team look better than it is in the regular season, gets peoples hopes up and then gets blamed when he looses to more talented teams in the playoffs.
The players were line-dancing when Babcock left Detroit! Now we know why...his plans suck!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Babcock since winning cup has had some notable collapses in playoffs

2019 vs Leafs = Up 3-2 and lost in 7
2017 vs Caps = Up 2-1 and lost in 6
2015 vs Lightning = Up 3-2 and lost in 7
2013 vs Blackhawks = Up 3-1 and lost in 7
2009 vs Penguins = Up 3-2 and lost in 7 (In finals)

Also there is no defending this tonight

Game 7 ESTOI

John Tavares = 18:59
Mitch Marner = 18:33
Zach Hyman = 18:15
Austin Matthews = 16:28
Kasperi Kapanen = 14:37
William Nlander = 14:33

Can someone explain to me the love affair Babcock has with Hyman?
Hymans dad is actually paying Zachs salary? I kid,but your question is valid...I've not been shy about criticizing Babcocks choice of using Hyman with all-stars...he wouldn't be a top 6 player on any other team in the league...hard work really isn't a substitute for skill/talent/acumen. 3 years of this crap...I won't be watching next season if Zach is on a scoring line...I've seen enough Babcock 'genious'!

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

LOL I don't think so either....... I love when uncle june keeps repeating that line, and Tony loses his shit. "what? what did I do?"....:laugh:

I love how leaf fans call him "egocock", bc the guy is prob his own worst enemy in that regard.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The Wings teams he coached were far from the greatest of all time.
After Lidstrom retired, sure. But they could have easily won more than 1 Cup in the seasons he coached prior to that.

Babcock has good qualities as a coach, and give him a championship-level roster and he'll do well with it. Not all coaches can say that. But he is also extremely stubborn, and has several frustrating quirks. Saddling skilled players with 'workhorse' plugs, being far more lenient with vets over youth, etc.

All that said, you can certainly do much worse than him. So unless the Leafs have a quality replacement in mind they're better off sticking with Babcock and focusing on improving their roster.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a note in terms of game 7 here.
I thought the Leafs played a good game, and really if you replay the chances/shots in a simulation, I think the Leafs would probably win over half the time.

I thought it was wise to keep rolling the lines, they were all working hard and having some success; maybe not the 4th line... because I don't think it's really an NHL caliber 4th line... but I'm also not sure when the last time I saw the 4th line out there, but I don't recall it being with like 2 minutes to play or anything.

A note in terms of TOI. Worth noting that two guys that people were a bit upset about not playing more time (Kap and Matthews) were both 0-2 GA on 5v5 and were the only two Leafs players not on the 4th line that had a negative shot attempt ratio on the team. And it's not even close, there's a 20% gap between Kap/Matthews and the worst of the positive, Marleau. I thought Matthews had a bad game. That all being said. Even if Matthews isn't 'on' the dude's an elite level scorer and should get some more time, especially in the offensive zone.

In terms of Babs. I think he got the Leafs ahead of where they were expected to be, especially in the last two years (including this one). Give him a defensive Stud, give him some size with skill and you'll be happy. I don't think the GM and coach are on the same page in terms of what this team should look like and play like, hence guys like Hyman getting some primo minutes.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
as good as Boston is...that performance from the Leafs was inexcusable for a game 7.... let alone a playoff game...
it,s gotta fall on the coach imo

question is who the &%@* do you replace him with?

If they fire him, the obvious answer is Keefe

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He took an old broken down Wings team to the playoffs multiple times after it had no business getting there anymore and did the same with a young Leafs team that had no business getting that far yet.

Meh, even Jeff Blashill was able to take the Wings to the playoffs his first season after replacing Babcock. And that was with the oldest and most broken down versions of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs will never amount to anything with him. He’s a dinosaur that needs a super team to do anything signicant. I also beleive he and Dubas/Shanahan simply have completely different ideologies when it comes to hockey. So he will be gone eventually. It’s likely he sticks around for next season, but if they have a poor start or get booted in round one again, he’s gone.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Mike Babcock is the most overrated coach in sports. His accomplishments? 1) Got carried by one of the best playoff goaltending performances ever. 2) Won one stanley cup with an absolutely loaded Detroit team. 3) Won a gold medal on home ice with a loaded team Canada. He's treated like a galaxy brain but he is mediocre.

When all is said and done with this buffoon Babcock, people will wonder how they got played by him so hard and for so long. That's how it is with narcissists. He cultivates malleable little sycophants in the media and other useful idiots to perpetuate the myth that he is some kind of legendary coach. Shanahan hired him and Dubas is a rookie GM--good odds Babcock manipulates them for at least another season. Another wasted season.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He should have benched the Marleau line and ran the First PP unit the whole f***ing time. His "Earn it" mentality with guys like matthews and tavares is beyond a mystery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad