Mike Augello Grades Our Centres...

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
I agree with this, however I think Statsny and Bozak would see the most minutes. I don't think there's much market value for Holland and there's really no sense in trading him unless you're somehow improving the team with the return. For this reason I see Kadri as the more likely target to be moved (help on D?).

Bozak
Statsny
Holland
McClement

Agreed. There are a few teams out there that could use the offensive potential of Kadri up the middle, that have some decent young defensemen Nonis could target: Winnipeg & Nashville instantly come to mind. There's also young D men out there like Adam Larsson in Jersey that may be quite attractive as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What kind of center do we need to be our no. 1 and who is available.
We have 2 choices, either we make a move for a very young player who could have the potential to be that no. 1 center that you can't trade for later. A player like Strome, which would give the Leafs 2 chances with Strome/Kadri to see who takes that next step.
Or if we want an established center for the core who is out there?
We need a center who has a solid 2-way game and can be a leader. Can put up 60 points and play in all situations.
As I look through the league, there are the centers we are not getting under any circumstances. Also, we need to find a team that has good center depth and a need that we might be able to provide.
Going team by team, the only choices I see that might be available to us and fit the needs above are: O'Reilly(COL) and Pavelski(SJ). Thats about it for top line C.

Probably like most good teams, you have to draft them. I don't think teams are willing to part with quality Centers.

I look back at the 2011 draft, many teams passed on Jenner. It's possible to get them later in the draft.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I hope they don't re-sign Bolland even though we lack any kind of depth at C
Even his scouting report is a red-flag:

Assets: Owns plenty of two-way ability. Is versatile, polished and plays a very solid all-around game. Can be used in all game situations. Likes to play an in-your-face style and can be a pest to play against.
Flaws: Extremely defensively responsible, that part of his game will take away from getting high point totals--because he is needed more for his defensive work. Must avoid more serious injuries.
Career Potential: Quality two-way center.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
the Leafs?

Yes, he provides good secondary scoring here, absolutely. But if you want to improve through trade, you have to give up value to receive some back. As jmart21 pointed out, Kadri would gain more attention than Holland would at this point.

ForSpareParts*

What kind of center do we need to be our no. 1 and who is available.
We have 2 choices, either we make a move for a very young player who could have the potential to be that no. 1 center that you can't trade for later. A player like Strome, which would give the Leafs 2 chances with Strome/Kadri to see who takes that next step.
Or if we want an established center for the core who is out there?
We need a center who has a solid 2-way game and can be a leader. Can put up 60 points and play in all situations.
As I look through the league, there are the centers we are not getting under any circumstances. Also, we need to find a team that has good center depth and a need that we might be able to provide.
Going team by team, the only choices I see that might be available to us and fit the needs above are: O'Reilly(COL) and Pavelski(SJ). Thats about it for top line C.

Good post. I like your thought process. It could take Kadri to make that deal happen, or it could be Bozak for all we know.

I wonder if St. Louis could be a team to give up some or their centre depth. They could use a little more offensive flair in their line-up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I hope they don't re-sign Bolland even though we lack any kind of depth at C
Even his scouting report is a red-flag:

Assets: Owns plenty of two-way ability. Is versatile, polished and plays a very solid all-around game. Can be used in all game situations. Likes to play an in-your-face style and can be a pest to play against.
Flaws: Extremely defensively responsible, that part of his game will take away from getting high point totals--because he is needed more for his defensive work. Must avoid more serious injuries.
Career Potential: Quality two-way center.

I would be surprised if Bolland ever plays more than 50 games in an NHL season again. Plus that injury really worries me.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Good post. I like your thought process. It could take Kadri to make that deal happen, or it could be Bozak for all we know.

I wonder if St. Louis could be a team to give up some or their centre depth. They could use a little more offensive flair in their line-up.

But the guy we'd need back from St. Louis would be either Backes or Steen, and those 2 aren't going anywhere.

And Pavelski? Not a chance San Jose moves him or Couture, unless Nonis offers the moon.

ForSpareParts*

But the guy we'd need back from St. Louis would be either Backes or Steen, and those 2 aren't going anywhere.

And Pavelski? Not a chance San Jose moves him or Couture, unless Nonis offers the moon.

Isn't Steen a winger?

Well the blues aren't getting any younger. Their window is only open for a limited time. They better think of some way to win.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Isn't Steen a winger?

Well the blues aren't getting any younger. Their window is only open for a limited time. They better think of some way to win.

He's still listed as a Centre on the HFBoards lineups thread. I think he's a Winger when there are no injuries as they have Backes, Roy, Berglund, Sobotka, and Lapierre as centres. Steen has played alot of Centre in his career. I'd absolutely LOVE to see David Backes in Blue & White, but that isn't happening anytime soon; at least not cheaply.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Then there is really no player to trade for. Which leaves you with the option to draft your own. We never finish in the top 3 (with a 1st round pick) to get that player. Maybe you can draft him at 8-12 or in the 2nd round but those are heavy odds if the draft is not stacked. Will we find this piece and a D before Kessel and Phaneuf are 35?
Unless you think Kadri will be a Duchene or Barkov down the road.
Or you have the 2nd option, you package a deal for a Strome/Hamonic, or Laughton/Morin, Bjugstad/Gudbranson add that to Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly increasing your chances that someone hits it big and you can establish the core around that player and move the others for the easier to acquire pieces.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Then there is really no player to trade for. Which leaves you with the option to draft your own. We never finish in the top 3 (with a 1st round pick) to get that player. Maybe you can draft him at 8-12 or in the 2nd round but those are heavy odds if the draft is not stacked. Will we find this piece and a D before Kessel and Phaneuf are 35?
Unless you think Kadri will be a Duchene or Barkov down the road.
Or you have the 2nd option, you package a deal for a Strome/Hamonic, or Laughton/Morin, Bjugstad/Gudbranson add that to Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly increasing your chances that someone hits it big and you can establish the core around that player and move the others for the easier to acquire pieces.

Oh it's much more preferable to draft that #1 guy, but the Leafs are the kings of the mediocre no man's land: Just bad enough to miss the playoffs every year, but never bad enough to get a top 3 pick. SO, it would have to be through trade.

Who knows, maybe Nonis will move up in the draft. Should be interesting.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

St. Louis doesn't have centre depth to give up... We make bad trading partners as their biggest need are high-end centres as well.

Unless we're wanting to trade Kadri for Shattenkirk (which I don't think we should)...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
St. Louis doesn't have centre depth to give up... We make bad trading partners as their biggest need are centres as well.

Unless we're wanting to trade Kadri for Shattenkirk (which I don't think we should)...

I would consider that. Yes we need the center. We are also dying on defense and need that top 4 RHD. Kadri/Shattenkirk are similar age, Kadri put up 50 points and Shattenkirk put up 45 playing 20 minutes a night. Shattenkirk is miles better than Franson allowing him to be moved. He is also signed to a 4.25 million deal for the next 3 years. Kadri will be finished his bridge. If we can get another D like Daley(maybe) or Orpik, we can even move Gardiner if necessary. We have to support Bernier more.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I would consider that. Yes we need the center. We are also dying on defense and need that top 4 RHD. Kadri/Shattenkirk are similar age, Kadri put up 50 points and Shattenkirk put up 45 playing 20 minutes a night. Shattenkirk is miles better than Franson allowing him to be moved. He is also signed to a 4.25 million deal for the next 3 years. Kadri will be finished his bridge. If we can get another D like Daley(maybe) or Orpik, we can even move Gardiner if necessary. We have to support Bernier more.

I just don't see the need for Shattenkirk on this team with Franson, Gardiner, and Rielly.

Shanttenkirk actually played some of the most sheltered minutes on the Blues blue line, and he isn't going to help our defensive deficiencies. I would rather keep Kadri, although if it's a bigger deal than that I would consider it.

Something like...

Kadri & Franson for Shattenkirk & Berglund.

If we could somehow steal the rights to Sobotka that would be excellent too! I don't see that happening though.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011

Personally, I'd rather Nonis target a more veteran Defenseman for the Top 3 and move Franson for sure, and possibly Gunnarsson. I feel quite confident that we have some absolute hidden gems on the blue line in the system. Finn, Percy, Granberg, MacWilliam, Nilsson, even Knodel all have varying degrees of potential. None will be a top pairing guys, but certainly potential for a few steady #3-#5 guys.

However, if Nonis could get a young Defenseman with high upside, I'd be all for that as well. I'd presonally love Jacob Trouba from Winnipeg, but I don't think that would happen anytime soon.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

That's a ridiculous case of shiny new toy syndrome that a ton of Leafs fans would fall victim too.

WHY the hell would we need Shattenkirk? An offensive D-man who gets sheltered minutes on a stacked blue-line? No thanks. He plays against weak competition man, Pietrangelo and Polak take the hard defensive assignments on the right side while he's left with the scraps.

If we're trading Kadri it better be a strong 2-way D-man coming back.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's a ridiculous case of shiny new toy syndrome that a ton of Leafs fans would fall victim too.

WHY the hell would we need Shattenkirk? An offensive D-man who gets sheltered minutes on a stacked blue-line? No thanks. He plays against weak competition man, Pietrangelo and Polak take the hard defensive assignments on the right side while he's left with the scraps.

What you just said about Shattenkirk is what another team is going to say about Kadri. They will never give you a strong 2-way D-man.
Another fanbase:
WHY the hell would we need Kadri? A small offensive center who gets sheltered O-zone starts and is questionable defensively. What strong D man did you have in mind?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Exactly!

For St. Louis defenseman, other than Cole, Shattenkirk played the most sheltered minutes in terms of QoC, and Offensive Zone starts %. Go read some of the GDT of the Blues vs Hawks, blues fan we're hating on Shattenkirk HARD. We do not need another defenseman like this.

The grass isn't always greener...

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
What you just said about Shattenkirk is what another team is going to say about Kadri. They will never give you a strong 2-way D-man.
Another fanbase:
WHY the hell would we need Kadri? A small offensive center who gets sheltered O-zone starts and is questionable defensively. What strong D man did you have in mind?

You just took the argument completely out of context :shakehead What I asked was HOW does Shattenkirk fit our current roster? He doesn't, it's an extremely poor fit. I actually really like Shattenkirk as a player but he has no place on our team.

Definitely have no D in mind, because I don't advocate trading Kadri, I've made my position on it very clear in other threads.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Another fanbase:

I think, considering our need, swapping Kadri for Tanev would be better for us.

But I would prefer to let Kadri continue developing here, and acquire these needs through another player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad