Prospect Info: Mikael Wikstrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I was referring more to next year's development/training camps...

But if Bingo were making the playoffs and he was willing to come over, I'd say yes to that too.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Claesson/Wikstrand gives us that upgraded bottom pair for nothing. I am baffled/livid that Claesson has been seemingly axed because he had a couple rookie moments when being played on the top pair!

Back on topic, yeah I'm all for bringing Wikstrand back, if he'll come over. But unless SEL playoffs are way shorter than ours, he will still be playing there when our guys hit the links. So we are looking at next year.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
But will this team play him over Boro? Granted they may try Boro on his off-side, but he needs to come in and dominate in camp to be able to guarantee a spot.

The only reason I suggested a trade, is because a team like Edmonton could guarantee him a spot, regardless of how he performs. Ottawa certainly wouldn't give him that luxury. Edmonton can't wait for defensemen to develop, they need some players who should be able to play now. If I were them I would certainly take a gamble if it were available...especially with 3 3rd round picks.

Huh? Edmonton is one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL...and they're just going to guarantee a 22-23 year-old kid with 0 games of NHL experience a job? Give me a break.

The Sens would be foolish not to try bringing him over one last time.

Nothing to lose at all.

They did bring him over. He left on his own accord against team wishes. Face it: He doesn't want to pay his dues and play in the AHL.

Agreed. Bring him over. Hopefully he's got a bit of a personal chip on his shoulder and some of his pride hurt for how things worked out this year... give him a chance to prove everyone wrong, or at least that he's matured a little and wants to impress with hard work...

If not, wash your hands of him, trade him for a pick, move on...

Don't even think he's tradable at this point. No sense in trading for a guy who is unlikely to report to North America.

Boston waited years for Soderberg... If that's what it takes then that's what it takes.

Anton Rodin too went back to the SEL after coming over abd has quietly transformed into a wicked hockey player being named SEL MVP this season.

There should be no issue letting players develop in Europe

No one is saying that late-bloomers can't develop properly in Europe. It's just that, given he's signed a contract with Ottawa, how and where he develops is no longer up to him. He signed a contract and will have taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Sens by this summer without ever having played a game for the organization. The team has ponied-up and lived up to their end of the bargain, it's time for him to be a goddamn professional and do the same for them. They also have some pretty smart people in this organization who know a thing or to about developing professional hockey players. I mean, I guess they could just let him play overseas and hope that the guys who are coaching him over there know what they're doing, but guess what? There are idiots that are head coaches in EVERY league. John Tortorella still has a job in the NHL ffs. If I'm Ottawa, I want to make sure that this guys is learning the North American game under the coaches I've hired so we can monitor and tweak his game on a nightly basis. They want to take ownership of their asset's development.

From the Sens perspective, it's also about not setting a precedent. The team likely invests millions of dollars into scouting, developing (on and off-ice), signing-bonuses etc. When they invest so much time and money into a guy like Wikstrand it's completely fair for them to want to see a return. They don't want players giving them the middle finger and bolting to their European club every time Bingo comes calling.

Never an issue with development; where I hope things have changed is with how Wikstrand will communicate with the team, etc. I'm sure he's learned from this whole experience, much like the Sens have as well.

I really don't think the Sens need to learn much. What Wikstrand did was completely inappropriate and uncalled for. Murray's "grocery store clerk" comments were a little cringeworthy and unprofessional but other than that they were well within their rights to suspend him. Had it been another player--say, Freddy Claesson--who wanted to go home, I think the Sens might have obliged. Claesson is a guy who's played multiple seasons in Bingo without ever getting a sniff of the bigs (before this season). He's paid his dues and it would b ****** of the organization not to do right by him if they weren't willing to give him an opportunity to advance his career. Wikstrand has done nothing but stab this team in the back. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Huh? Edmonton is one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL...and they're just going to guarantee a 22-23 year-old kid with 0 games of NHL experience a job? Give me a break.

Guaranteeing one of the top defensemen outside of the NHL a role as a depth defenseman? With the crap they currently have? It's thinking outside the box. People don't sign with Edmonton unless they overpay. You could trade for one, but you'll have to give up something valuable. Or, you take a chance on a disgruntled player from another franchise..if he doesn't pan out after half a season, you cut him. It's not like they are making the playoffs anyway.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Claesson/Wikstrand gives us that upgraded bottom pair for nothing. I am baffled/livid that Claesson has been seemingly axed because he had a couple rookie moments when being played on the top pair!

Back on topic, yeah I'm all for bringing Wikstrand back, if he'll come over. But unless SEL playoffs are way shorter than ours, he will still be playing there when our guys hit the links. So we are looking at next year.

Claesson being sent down might have been a result of waiver rules. After a certain amount of games, he would have to clear waivers to be sent back down. It might even be the reason Kostka is up right now if Boro will be back by the end of the season.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Guaranteeing one of the top defensemen outside of the NHL a role as a depth defenseman? With the crap they currently have? It's thinking outside the box. People don't sign with Edmonton unless they overpay. You could trade for one, but you'll have to give up something valuable. Or, you take a chance on a disgruntled player from another franchise..if he doesn't pan out after half a season, you cut him. It's not like they are making the playoffs anyway.

Top dmen outside of the NHL? I honestly can't find anything from a reputable source that lists him as an elite talent. I've seen a couple things that say he's high on Ottawa's defensive prospects depth chart, but that's understandable considering how depleted our farm system is. We also have a terrible prospect pool so the fact that he's high doesn't really say much.

The crap they have in Edmonton is still leaps and bounds better than a guy with 0 games of NHL experience who likely still needs a year or two of seasoning at the AHL level just to become a bottom-pairing guy. Edmonton is in year 6 of a re-build and is still like dead last in the league. They don't need project players. They need legit NHL defensemen who can play top four minutes immediately.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Top dmen outside of the NHL? I honestly can't find anything from a reputable source that lists him as an elite talent. I've seen a couple things that say he's high on Ottawa's defensive prospects depth chart, but that's understandable considering how depleted our farm system is. We also have a terrible prospect pool so the fact that he's high doesn't really say much.

The crap they have in Edmonton is still leaps and bounds better than a guy with 0 games of NHL experience who likely still needs a year or two of seasoning at the AHL level just to become a bottom-pairing guy. Edmonton is in year 6 of a re-build and is still like dead last in the league. They don't need project players. They need legit NHL defensemen who can play top four minutes immediately.

According to? Everyone who has followed this board for a long time knows that the Sens prospects are ALWAYS underrated... And yet, we produce players like Smith, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, etc. They weren't considered much at first.

Prospects pools are more judged based on draft position than anything. When you are an informed Sens fan, you know it doesn't mean much

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
According to? Everyone who has followed this board for a long time knows that the Sens prospects are ALWAYS underrated... And yet, we produce players like Smith, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, etc. They weren't considered much at first.

Prospects pools are more judged based on draft position than anything. When you are an informed Sens fan, you know it doesn't mean much

Those guys were all drafted between 08-'11. Also, they were all drafted during the Tim Murray era.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those guys were all drafted between 08-'11. Also, they were all drafted during the Tim Murray era.

Is he supposed to show you draft picks from the last 4-5 years that developed beyond expectations? 2012 has 2 players outside the top 2 rounds with 100 games played. It's too early to judge a draft year that recent. Also, everything but the last 2 drafts was the Tim Murray era. Again, far too early to judge 2014 and 2015.

Our prospect pools generally aren't ranked well because we have had 1 top 15 pick in the last 4 drafts, and have either traded (Silf, Noesen, and now Lindberg) or graduated all out top prospects (Stone, Hoffman, Lazar, Prince, Paul, Puempel, Wier, Cowen, Ceci ext).

Point is, god only knows if our prospects will turn into anything at this point, particularly ones drafted outside the first two rounds.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Is he supposed to show you draft picks from the last 4-5 years that developed beyond expectations? 2012 has 2 players outside the top 2 rounds with 100 games played. It's too early to judge a draft year that recent. Also, everything but the last 2 drafts was the Tim Murray era. Again, far too early to judge 2014 and 2015.

Our prospect pools generally aren't ranked well because we have had 1 top 15 pick in the last 4 drafts, and have either traded (Silf, Noesen, and now Lindberg) or graduated all out top prospects (Stone, Hoffman, Lazar, Prince, Paul, Puempel, Wier, Cowen, Ceci ext).

Point is, god only knows if our prospects will turn into anything at this point, particularly ones drafted outside the first two rounds.

Who? As far as I know, Cody Ceci is the only player from that draft to successfully transition to the NHL.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Who? As far as I know, Cody Ceci is the only player from that draft to successfully transition to the NHL.

It's actually 4 across the whole league (Tierney, Severson, Paquette, Andersen). And Andersen is an overager.

The point being prospects take time to make the league, especially after the first round. The 2011 class for Ottawa just started to play games this year in the league.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think the Sens brass have their hopes on Chabot over both those guys. I'm guessing that Wiercioch will not be qualified this summer & allowed to walk which will pretty much open up one spot on defence that should be fought over by Chabot & Claesson & IMO Wikstrand if he does come over will likely start the yr in Bingo where he doesn't seem to want to go. If last season is any indication Chabot outplayed Wikstrand in the development camp, the rookie tournament & in training camp where he also outplayed Claesson.

On another note: Ottawa has approximately 15 players on the roster this yr that they drafted, I'm not sure if that's the highest number in the NHL but it must be right up there. Add to that, that Puempel & Paul should be pushing for spots next yr, Chabot could challenge for a spot & if White leaves school he could also challenge in the next yr or two. Whoever they draft this yr in the first rd could challenge in a few yrs & O'Connor, Englund & others could also start challenging in a few yrs.

Ottawa has approximately 2 to 3 guys challenging for positions on the roster every yr & that is because they draft & develop so well & I believe right near the top of the NHL in that respect. I'm not quite sure what more people could want besides them drafting the #1 overall pick three out of four yrs & still sucking like Edm has & I wouldn't be surprised if they get Mathews too. :laugh:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
It's actually 4 across the whole league (Tierney, Severson, Paquette, Andersen). And Andersen is an overager.

The point being prospects take time to make the league, especially after the first round. The 2011 class for Ottawa just started to play games this year in the league.

Oh, I thought he was talking about Ottawa draft picks from that year.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Anton Rodin signed with the Canucks. Good example of a forgive and forget scenario but I don't get that feeling from our team however, on both sides.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Good job, you were able to get me confused... I was not talking about draft years at all. I was talking about draft position.

And wth is "Tim Murray" era, BM's padawan? TM was part of the management but he wasn't the be all and end all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I said outside the first 2 rounds, so Tierney and Severson were not included, but you are bang on about the point being made.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Anton Rodin signed with the Canucks. Good example of a forgive and forget scenario but I don't get that feeling from our team however, on both sides.

I don't think I'd compare what Rodin has gone through over the past 8 years to where Wikstrand is now.

They're both Swedish - that's where the comparisons end, IMO.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Mikael if you are reading this....we need you, we want you, we will support you, you will be happy here.
There is a spot for you if you want it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he stayed he wouldn't have been in Bingo very long... This team needed him early.

This coming season actually looks as though there is a legit opening on the roster (7th D) with no obvious candidate to fill it.

We have: Methot, Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci, Boro, and Wideman holding down 6 roster spots, and then there's Claesson and Chabot in the system that look as though they are potential options.

I imagine management will be reluctant to have Chabot sit in the press box so I expect him to be left to develop unless he really blows everyone away.

Claesson is the obvious front runner, but doens't really have a strong hold on the slot by any stretch. God I hope we don't re-sign Kostka unless it's with the sole intent of him playing for Bingo.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
This coming season actually looks as though there is a legit opening on the roster (7th D) with no obvious candidate to fill it.

We have: Methot, Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci, Boro, and Wideman holding down 6 roster spots, and then there's Claesson and Chabot in the system that look as though they are potential options.

I imagine management will be reluctant to have Chabot sit in the press box so I expect him to be left to develop unless he really blows everyone away.

Claesson is the obvious front runner, but doens't really have a strong hold on the slot by any stretch. God I hope we don't re-sign Kostka unless it's with the sole intent of him playing for Bingo.

It always amazes me how Andreas Englund is often forgotten in these discussions. Captain of the Swedish team at the world juniors and named to team Sweden for the Euro hockey tour against Finland. 6'3 and tough. Is it because he's a shut down defenceman rather than a point producer? Gawd knows we need that type of guy.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Another point for him on the powerplay in Färjestads loss tonight. His season seems to be pretty much over considering them being down 3-1 in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad