Prospect Info: Mikael Wikstrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
He has just signed a deal until april 30 th 2016 with the Frölunda Indians (the team where Karlsson, Alfie, Loui Eriksson and Henrik Lundqvist used to play) in the SHL.

Having the the coach who won the WJC for Sweden (Roger Rönnberg, in a tournament where Wikstrand participated) will hopefully make him do even progress in his development. Frölunda is a perfect fit for him right now imo since they have become a top 2 team in the SHL while using young prospects like Alexander Wennberg and Andreas Johnson (drafted by the leafs :() where the latter has been one of their best players this season.

I really hope we get to see Wikstrand in Ottawa sometime during the next 1-2 years.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I hope he come over next year and plays with Binghamton to learn the NHL ice. I think he and Claesson will really push next year. Could be a crowded Dcorps with Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci et al

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
A year with Frolunda, a year in Bingo, and then Ottawa?

Two years in Frolunda, and then Ottawa?

One year in Frolunda, and then Ottawa?

I wonder what path he's going to take.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Initially it seemed as though he was going to take full year in SHL2 then SHL then Bingo/Ottawa or maybe Ottawa directly.

With the abrupt change in his plans, he could come to Bingo next year and get a couple games in a la Ceci.

Regardless, he was way too good for SHL2, this could be great move for his development.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
A year with Frolunda, a year in Bingo, and then Ottawa?

Two years in Frolunda, and then Ottawa?

One year in Frolunda, and then Ottawa?

I wonder what path he's going to take.

that path is the very likely path i see management taking with him.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Too much discussion over this player. He's a trading chip, nothing more.

I dont think hes a trading chip really, most 7th round picks dont get traded. Cause to other teams he really isnt worth much.

I understand ur point tho, you think everyone is overhyping him. Which could be the case but maybe he will pan out, but if he does I think it will be the team hes drafted by.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I dont think hes a trading chip really, most 7th round picks dont get traded. Cause to other teams he really isnt worth much.

I understand ur point tho, you think everyone is overhyping him. Which could be the case but maybe he will pan out, but if he does I think it will be the team hes drafted by.

His play style helps immensely. He is not succeeding like Rundblad. He is a cerebral, smart defender with offensive and defensive smarts, His game transitions extremely well.

I've never seen him live, just going by what I've heard, and the little I've seen of him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You can tell he watched a lot of Lidstrom as a kid. I'm not comparing his impact as player to that of a Hall of Famer but he has a similar style.

I assume his contract with Frolunda has an out clause for the NHL?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Never know, could be our next "Gryba" type of guy in the sense of how he gets into the NHL. Makes the pros at 21 in AHL for 4 years, after 4 years in college. Finalyl gets a gig in the bigs at 24-25ish and is a 6-7 defenseman rotated in based on needs.

Would be a great find out of a 7th rounder.

SenatorArmy*

That sounds like a cool name "Wikstrand". I like to project how good players are going to be based on their last names & the sky is the limit for the kid with a name like Wikstrand.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
When does he need to be signed by? Not familiar with when we have his rights until.

You have two seasons to sign a player to a contract, otherwise they re-enter the draft.

Then they have to play x games or reach the age of 27 (whichever happens first) to become UFAs.

Too much discussion over this player. He's a trading chip, nothing more.

He's a project prospect with intriguing upside based on his offensive production and two-way skillset.

SenatorArmy*

Rate late picks is sort of an antiquated stigma, look at some great players who were drafted in those late round? Alfredsson? Datsyuk/ Zetterberg?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Anyone have any info on this kidthat watches him?Producing well in the shl but still only 3rd most points for a dman on the team.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone have any info on this kidthat watches him?Producing well in the shl but still only 3rd most points for a dman on the team.

check out the swedish prospect thread in the prospect section or ask them there. Theres usually a lot of Swedes who are more then happy to discuss SEL play.

I've asled them about Wikstrand before and they seemed pretty indifferent about him. They all have their favorite SEL players though

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Here's a little something on Wikstrand from Friedman he did today in his ''30 thoughts''

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-flames-face-deadline-crossroads/

''26. Ottawa has eight defensemen under contract for next season, and it will be interesting to see how Mikael Wikstrand figures into their plans. The Swedish defender, a seventh-round pick in 2012, developed well and plans to be in North America. He’ll be 22 in November, and should get a good look in training camp. It’s no secret the Senators have looked at moving a defenceman, and he’s another reason they wouldn’t mind doing so. ''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad