Prospect Info: Mikael Wikstrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He played one period of hockey at the rookie camp.

Why do we need to downplay the fact that Wikstrand was good? The organization certainly thought he was an NHL player in the near future. For a team like the Sens, desperately in need of competent defencemen, that is a loss.

Exactly. He played one period of hockey at the Rookie camp and pulled himself out of the game. Not the trainers. He removed himself.
There just isn't much here to go on. Maybe he had potential but right now, he hasn't proven anything to anyone.
The only reason we even know his name is because he bailed and it became a story. Lots of other players. I don't see the big fuss is all. I'm not attacking the kid. Just wondering why everyone is freaking out like Ottawa just lost their best chance at Top pairing dman.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seems like he enjoyed himself.

Unt.png

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Exactly. He played one period of hockey at the Rookie camp and pulled himself out of the game. Not the trainers. He removed himself.
There just isn't much here to go on. Maybe he had potential but right now, he hasn't proven anything to anyone.
The only reason we even know his name is because he bailed and it became a story. Lots of other players. I don't see the big fuss is all. I'm not attacking the kid. Just wondering why everyone is freaking out like Ottawa just lost their best chance at Top pairing dman.

You do realize that he's played in other hockey games in his career, right? Other games that people have seen? Other games that were far more competitive than an rookie tournament game?

If you want to get into the "he hasn't proven it in the NHL, therefore he has no value" argument, I'm not going to bother with this. Look at every single player in the NHL today. At one time, they weren't.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You do realize that he's played in other hockey games in his career, right? Other games that people have seen? Other games that were far more competitive than an rookie tournament game?

If you want to get into the "he hasn't proven it in the NHL, therefore he has no value" argument, I'm not going to bother with this. Look at every single player in the NHL today. At one time, they weren't.

He skipped his chance to show his skills amongst his peers. Rookie camp is an evaluation amongst others in similar circumstances. These are the young men that teams have chosen to consider to develop and he has not demonstrated what he can do there so we don't really know what his value is. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying he's at the bottom of the list of consideration among prospects. A 7th round pick. He has not proven anything yet. So this is why I wonder why people are so concerned about him.
I'm not knocking him. Just wondering why everyone is freaking out and assuming he's a sure thing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Which someone? He mentioned two someones... will you not be the someone that updates stats, or the someone that cares?

Stop being so damn cryptic Bonk.

ae8nO6.gif

... but for the record, I will be neither the person who updates the stats, nor the person who cares about Mikael Wikstrand as anything more than a trivia answer to some Sens-themed pub quiz in 5 years time.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
ae8nO6.gif

... but for the record, I will be neither the person who updates the stats, nor the person who cares about Mikael Wikstrand as anything more than a trivia answer to some Sens-themed pub quiz in 5 years time.

What would the trivia question be?

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Maybe we let him play in SWE so we could try him again next year in Ottawa?

I never prescribed to the hatred part of this, its a business and a poor investment but in the end we all knew this was going to happen.

I like that Murray let him play but I wouldn't let him play in the final year of the ELC. At that point he's worthless to me unless he reports and I'd suspend just to see if that works. Otherwise let him rot who cares.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
My guess is that they are beyond done with this kid after the way he conducted himself at camp and over the course of the suspension. He's dealing with some heavy issues but he's also incredibly immature and obviously can't be relied upon.

I found it hilarious how the Sens got so much flak from Sens Twitter for suspending him. The kid basically robbed the team blind.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Every time I see a new post in here I expect to see a link to 'Wikstrand on plane to Ottawa'.
Or traded.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope Wikstand burns up the SEL during the remainder of this year and becomes "the best defenseman outside the NHL"! Then Murray can trade him for a top center prospect!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah that's worrying. Should see some improvement.

Well, he was sitting on his butt for several months. Chances are he was pretty rusty for a while.

At this point, I hope we can just have him as part of a package in a trade. We don't want to be like Tampa that allows an elephant to camp out in the room for too long.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, he was sitting on his butt for several months. Chances are he was pretty rusty for a while.

At this point, I hope we can just have him as part of a package in a trade. We don't want to be like Tampa that allows an elephant to camp out in the room for too long.

Can he be considered a prospect for us? Does he even want to play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad