Recalled/Assigned: Mikael Granlund

Steve Cockburn

Feb 8, 2013
Mikaels thoughts referred (Finnish media):

- Of course it feels bad, but the best players get to play.

- When you think about it, maybe its better to get a lot of icetime and hockey feel in the AHL, than to sit in the stands in Minnesota.

- In my opinion, the last games i got to play, i was playing better. Unfortunately, everyone else was playing even better than that.

- Nobody doesn't want to go to AHL, but to be honest, i need some minutes now. That what the coach and GM said; they'll rather see me playing in AHL than sitting in the stands.

Last edited:

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
Mikaels thoughts referred (Finnish media):

- Of course it feels bad, but the best players get to play.

- When you think about it, maybe its better to get a lot of icetime and hockey feel in the AHL, than to sit in the stands in Minnesota.

- In my opinion, the last games i got to play, i was playing better. Unfortunately, everyone else was playing even better than that.

- Nobody doesn't want to go to AHL, but to be honest, i need some minutes now. That what the coach and GM said; they'll rather see me playing in AHL than sitting in the stands.

Don't agree with Mikael there.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Don't agree with Mikael there.

Me neither at least completely, but its exactly the attitude the player must have in this situation.. for he's own sake, that's absolutely how he must see it.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Former Calgary GM Craig Button thinks that Granlund wont develop much anymore in the AHL because the level of the league.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
lol like the GM of Calgary has any room to talk about anything with success right now. Being on the ice in Houston is going to only help MiG and I am really glad to see he has the right attitude about it and isn't pulling a Pouliot.

He has said that comment few weeks ago, thought, but still. How would it change now if he'd be honest.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Granlund won't develop much in the AHL. His last step in development is getting used to the speed and physical nature of the NHL. The speed and physical nature of the AHL was no problem for him. He is going there because its better to be playing somewhere then sitting in the press box.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
It'll help him get his confidence back some and work out some of the kinks anyone would get from just sitting.

We'll see him again soon enough, and I hope he gets top 6 minutes when we do.

He's more a victim of the situation right now than anything, which is not much of a stain on him or the team, it just is what it is.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I head at the coffeebreak room today, that Odin hasn't leave the kid behind: Wilds might bring him back as injury replacement..

For teams sake, probably Zuckers injury is worser than getting Granlund back, but again it is what it is, will the injury bring MG back or not, what you think minnesota people?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
coyle "earned" his spot by virtue of being a big strong winger.

This is exactly what I ment. Coyle dominated the ice with his physical play in AHL. Granlund was good on the PP only, and even there he could have produced more with the wingers he had (Coyle and Zucker). Granlund has a lot to learn of the 5 on 5 game in AHL.

On QnebO's question, I think they won't bring MiG back. They want him to play as a center. I kind of lean towards the same thinking that it's best for him to not be forced to make the adjustment twice in his NHL career. Of course they could just give up on the hope of him ever becoming the 2nd line center and just move him to wing. But I think bringing him in as a center and keeping him there is the best thing that can happen to Granlund.

Last edited:

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
This is exactly what I ment. Coyle dominated the ice with his physical play in AHL. Granlund was good on the PP only, and even there he could have produced more with the wingers he had (Coyle and Zucker). Granlund has a lot to learn of the 5 on 5 game in AHL.

Don't agree with any of that... :shakehead

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Of course they could just give up on the hope of him ever becoming the 2nd line center and just move him to wing. But I think bringing him in as a center and keeping him there is the best thing that can happen to Granlund.

Playing for him in wing now wouldn't mean giving up hope. In every hockey league, many times young center's are first adjusted in the league in the wing, because its easier spot to be, and then made centers only later.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Don't agree with any of that... :shakehead

Why not?

What did you see in the AHL that leads you to believe Granlund was dominant 5 on 5 in the AHL?

If people believe that a PPG=dominant, then I simply disagree with your definition of dominant.

Not to beat a dead horse but Granlund had some of the same problems in the AHL that he did in the NHL. He had a hard time cycling, he did not move his feet, he backchecked some games, and he was not in good position 5 on 5. He was deadly on the half-wall on the PP and on odd-man rushes.

I am not saying he is a horrible player at all. I just don't agree with anyone that asserts a player cannot improve playing in the AHL.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
Why not?

What did you see in the AHL that leads you to believe Granlund was dominant 5 on 5 in the AHL?

If people believe that a PPG=dominant, then I simply disagree with your definition of dominant.

Not to beat a dead horse but Granlund had some of the same problems in the AHL that he did in the NHL. He had a hard time cycling, he did not move his feet, he backchecked some games, and he was not in good position 5 on 5. He was deadly on the half-wall on the PP and on odd-man rushes.

I am not saying he is a horrible player at all. I just don't agree with anyone that asserts a player cannot improve playing in the AHL.

I actually do think Granlund generally played very well in the AHL. He was a constant threat in the offensive zone, imo even 5 on 5, with a good shot, good- to great play making and he still surprised many in the way that he took responsibility in the defense. Much more impressed with him than with Zucker and Coyle for as long as they all played together. Wished that Yeo would have given him more confidence and kept him as a wing in the top 6.

AHL is great for Larsson who gets to build confidence in his offensive abilities, for Phillips who can adopt to a speedier game, even for Coyle and Zucker if the team hadn't needed them. But I'm not a fan of the seemingly erratic handling of Granlund, hopefully at least that ends now.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I actually do think Granlund generally played very well in the AHL. He was a constant threat in the offensive zone, imo even 5 on 5, with a good shot, good- to great play making and he still surprised many in the way that he took responsibility in the defense. Much more impressed with him than with Zucker and Coyle for as long as they all played together. Wished that Yeo would have given him more confidence and kept him as a wing in the top 6.

AHL is great for Larsson who gets to build confidence in his offensive abilities, for Phillips who can adopt to a speedier game, even for Coyle and Zucker if the team hadn't needed them. But I'm not a fan of the seemingly erratic handling of Granlund, hopefully at least that ends now.

I respect your opinion. How many games did you see?

I thought that Zucker was easily the more "dominant" player while in the AHL together. I thought Coyle was the best at cycling and understanding of NHL positioning. We will just have to agree to disagree on our viewings of Granlund.

Not sure I am reading your last paragraph correctly. If you are asserting that Granlund is more NHL ready than Zucker or Coyle with this team at this team, I disagree. As for Larsson and Phillips, Larsson had played great the past two weeks. I believe he would be better in a bottom 6 role than Granlund due his board play and better defensive awareness. Phillips is a long way off.

In short, I still have a lot of faith in Granlund because of his intelligence, hands, and vision. I don't think him being sent down right now is going to have a negative effect on his development.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
I respect your opinion. How many games did you see?

I thought that Zucker was easily the more "dominant" player while in the AHL together. I thought Coyle was the best at cycling and understanding of NHL positioning. We will just have to agree to disagree on our viewings of Granlund.

Not sure I am reading your last paragraph correctly. If you are asserting that Granlund is more NHL ready than Zucker or Coyle with this team at this team, I disagree. As for Larsson and Phillips, Larsson had played great the past two weeks. I believe he would be better in a bottom 6 role than Granlund due his board play and better defensive awareness. Phillips is a long way off.

In short, I still have a lot of faith in Granlund because of his intelligence, hands, and vision. I don't think him being sent down right now is going to have a negative effect on his development.

Well, if that wasn't meant to discredit me, the honest answer is that I saw all Aeros games with Granlund and then most without him, although none live. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Imo Zucker wasn't dominant until about when Granlund got hurt.

Based on their AHL performance I definitely think Granlund was most NHL ready. He got scared by the situation though and underperformed. Coyle, and especially Zucker did the opposite. So if performing good from the start means they were more NHL ready, than yes. Otherwise no, I still see more skill in Granlund than I do in C&Z.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Well, if that wasn't meant to discredit me, the honest answer is that I saw all Aeros games with Granlund and then most without him, although none live. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Imo Zucker wasn't dominant until about when Granlund got hurt.

Based on their AHL performance I definitely think Granlund was most NHL ready. He got scared by the situation though and underperformed. Coyle, and especially Zucker did the opposite. So if performing good from the start means they were more NHL ready, than yes. Otherwise no, I still see more skill in Granlund than I do in C&Z.

Nope. I was just curious since most people have seen a few, if any, games.

I appreciate your insight.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
IIRC Coyle wasn't all that physical in the AHL. Coyle simply fit a line better than Granlund. That's it. Neither one was going to be expected to be anything more than a complimentary player this year, and Coyle found a slot that fit while Granlund didn't.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
This organization has done everything fine, I trust them and what they are doing with Granlund. Granlund has been better lately, but it's good to send him down and make sure he is getting playing time, Cullen's play is more of what is dictating his lack of ice time here. The kid will learn and grow and be a better player for it, I'm supremely confident in that and not worried. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad