Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Thank you Filthy...thank you for setting our boy straight.
tJHNMN2.jpg

SO much this.

Reactions: haveandare

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
After the second 6-point game in 9 days Mika is answering questions about Covid in an interview with Expressen (my translation):

You had a rough start of the season and struggled to score points, especially goals?
Correct. I got Covid as I travelled over from Sweden to New York in december for the training camp and only managed to do one practise on ice before the season premiere. That was far from an optimal start for me.

How sick were you?
I have choosen not to release any details but it was not the funniest experience I had. It was quite a struggle. It took quite a while to get going.

You managed to score at a great pace the last few weeks, are you back to normal now?
I have been pleased with my own performance since the last three and half weeks factoring all my game, not only the production. Sometimes it's easy to just look at the production, but I try to count everything I do and contribute with on the ice. From here on I just want to continue to work hard an focus on my game.

Full interview:
Upprepar rekordmatchen: ”Det känns overkligt”

Very interesting, I missed this, thank you.

I guess we will have to accept this excuse for his slow start then, it's valid, nothing to discuss, let's go on with our lives (and try to avoid Covid).

Mika, you are excused, 12 points in two games vs the Flyers, it's ok.

His potential is scary good, terribly streaky but amazing capacity, top class, world class or whatever you say, elite, best of the best maximum-level, a freaking record beating level.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Someone needs to slip a Gritty stuffed toy into Mika's locker for consultation before every game.

Haha, stealing Gritty from the Flyers, now it's a symbol of Mika's success, this is voodoo. ;-) Future games may vs the Flyers may turn out a bit rough. I am guessing the Flyers are a bit tired of being humiliated. Somebody like Bobby Clark would be furious (understatement) but this is a new soft era for the Flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Looking at the board there and saw Strome went one pick before. Can't imagine that a team gets their top 2 centers with back-to-back picks too often. Especially when they end up trading for both players later on.

The only others I can think of are Kessel and Brassard now in Arizona and Ladd and Wheeler in Winnipeg

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, he seems to be healthy now. His two-way mentality has always been there and he has hustled his way to so many goals now by outworking the D-men. But now he also ends up on the score sheet regularly. Can he help the Rangers steal a playoff spot against terrible odds? The fact that he's so good defensively as well as a center is so important for a team that wants to win games.

First he mugged that D-man against the Caps, now he created the SH goal for Fox, with some help from Strome, but he did most of the work. Imagine if he goes on another crazy spring run where everything just ends up in the net.

It's this play I'm raving about, what a great play by Zibanejad:

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
To all of you being of the opinion that NYR should trade Zibanejad, you're out of your minds. He's good enough to be on a team to win the Cup. Yes, as the #1 center. To trash him because of the difficult start he had while you excuse rookies and younger players for not performing as well as they could due to the lost training camp, are you kidding me?

Mika was inactive from hockey for as long as the rest and then he got the virus while the others scrambled to get ready. Feeling lingering issues after getting healthy, with next to no practice before going in, are you kidding me with the expectations what this guy is supposed to deliver? Who wouldn't struggle in that kind of situation? I can think of no one.

He's paid $5.3m and is a bargain. So what if he's paid about $7m in the next contract? He's dangerous offensively with his playmaking, hustle, hockey IQ, deking and shot. Defensively he's a #1 center playing on the PK. That should say enough about that. Do you think Matthews or McDavid plays on the PK? Nope. But Bergeron does. Neither should Mika play there, but he's just that strong at it so you have to put him out there. He's just as good defensively as offensively. That's a pretty good quality in your #1 center if you want to win games. His 200 feet hustle to create turnovers is commendable to say the least.

Heck, the team holstered up the cash to keep Kreider and he's not nearly as important enough for this team as Zibanejad. I don't even understand the issue? Sign the man. If we dump Zibanejad to keep players like Kreider instead, the team could just as well fold and officially proclaim a second rebuild.

And here's the damage he did last season, just for the candy:

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
To all of you being of the opinion that NYR should trade Zibanejad, you're out of your minds. He's good enough to be on a team to win the Cup. Yes, as the #1 center. To trash him because of the difficult start he had while you excuse rookies and younger players for not performing as well as they could due to the lost training camp, are you kidding me?

Mika was inactive from hockey for as long as the rest and then he got the virus while the others scrambled to get ready. Feeling lingering issues after getting healthy, with next to no practice before going in, are you kidding me with the expectations what this guy is supposed to deliver? Who wouldn't struggle in that kind of situation? I can think of no one.

He's paid $5.3m and is a bargain. So what if he's paid about $7m in the next contract? He's dangerous offensively with his playmaking, hustle, hockey IQ, deking and shot. Defensively he's a #1 center playing on the PK. That should say enough about that. Do you think Matthews or McDavid plays on the PK? Nope. Neither should Mika, but he's just that strong at it so you have to put him out there. He's just as good defensively as offensively. That's a pretty good quality in your #1 center if you want to win games. His 200 feet hustle to create turnovers is commendable to say the least.

Heck, the team holstered up the cash to keep Kreider and he's not nearly as important enough for this team as Zibanejad. I don't even understand the issue? Sign the man. If we dump Zibanejad to keep players like Kreider instead, the team could just as well fold and officially proclaim a second rebuild.

And here's the damage he did last season, just for the candy:

If Zibanejad returns to form next year, then 7m is an insanely team-friendly contract. It’s probably more like 8.5m+. Three years into that contract, is he still productive enough to justify that cap hit? That’s been my concern.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Mika’s age and injury history are more of the concern than his abilities as a player. You assume he’ll want a long term deal, so you have to be concerned over how effective he’ll be towards the end of the contract, which you assume will have a high aav

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If Zibanejad returns to form next year, then 7m is an insanely team-friendly contract. It’s probably more like 8.5m+. Three years into that contract, is he still productive enough to justify that cap hit? That’s been my concern.
His biggest concern has been injuries. He plays a very intense style of play which can decrease durability. In my first draft of my previous post I wrote $7-8m as a salary, so yes, I'm also aware he can end up at a bigger price tag. That was just my hopeful discount number.

The question is if NYR can convince him to take a small discount to help the team be more competitive. That all hangs on management not signing albatrosses anymore and actively change the culture and thinking among the players. Trouba was an overpayment, but he's not an albatross. That's acceptable. Panarin being paid the heaven has also panned out very well, as he's clearly the best and most skilled player on the team. That sells tickets and he has lived up to his contract on the ice as well. That's very positive towards changing the salary demands within the team. Zibanejad is Swedish, culturally we're less concerned about cash than actually feeling happy. That's also a big plus and I think Mika really likes to play in the team he's currently at. Here's another Swedish trait; we're typically very loyal towards our group. If we have connections with people, we don't easily break our commitment unless forced to - like being traded or being insulted at the money table. Hence Hank crying his eyes out when Zuccarello was traded. It was beyond money.

Anyway, in my mind, you want a very intense #1 center and take a chance on the injury lottery if you want to be competitive. I can guarantee you no team likes to play against Zibanejad, because he's like a pest without the talking. He's always breathing down your neck when he wants the puck. His gap control is splendid. And he doesn't shy away from throwing a hit either, it's not just the stick play, he knows he's a big guy and he throws that weight around.

He has all the tools to be an important piece on a cup winner. The only lingering question is his competiteveness lowers his durability. You see, he's one of those "I hate to lose" guys, quoted from his girlfriend when he played against her in Uno, where he considered her to be cheating while she claimed he clumpsily held the cards open for her to see. He was apparently quite grumpy for hours after that (source, which can't be understood unless you know Swedish:

Anyway, his girlfriend said his only bad side as a human being is that he's such a bad loser. That's the kind of player you want.

Reactions: 21

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Mika’s age and injury history are more of the concern than his abilities as a player. You assume he’ll want a long term deal, so you have to be concerned over how effective he’ll be towards the end of the contract, which you assume will have a high aav
So give him a $7-8.5m deal for, let's say, 3-4 years if you don't want to take a chance? That's enough term without being disrespectful.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So give him a $7-8.5m deal for, let's say, 3-4 years if you don't want to take a chance? That's enough term without being disrespectful.

rangers sign that in a heart beat but why would he sign that? he could get double the length as a UFA. he's not getting another deal like that at 33 so thats alot of $$ left on the table...

I think to convince him to keep the term short you will need to overpay on salary

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
rangers sign that in a heart beat but why would he sign that? he could get double the length as a UFA. he's not getting another deal like that at 33 so thats alot of $$ left on the table...

I think to convince him to keep the term short you will need to overpay on salary
Maybe, maybe not. I think that depends on how much he holds on to the group and how much he likes them. That can cut off a bit on high numbers and that's the enviroment a cup winning team needs. We'll see. I think he will accept a small discount.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe, maybe not. I think that depends on how much he holds on to the group and how much he likes them. That can cut off a bit on high numbers and that's the enviroment a cup winning team needs. We'll see. I think he will accept a small discount.

thats true but you have him giving a discount in both years and money. I'd sign him to that kind of deal in a heartbeat if he's on board

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Are there any comparables for his next contracr ? I can't see him getting any less than 8 millions per year.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
If Mika is willing to take 5 years he will be signed.

I don't know too many people who would have an issue with that either. It's not risk free (no deal is) but Mika would be conceding 2 years vs what he'd get on the open market which isn't a small deal.

Yep, that would solve a big head ache for the Rangers. Not sure he will though, this is his money contract to set him up.

I concur Mika is good enough 1C for a contender, but Mika, Strome, and Chytil is not really strong enough as a spine. Strome and Chytil are not well rounded enough. It will be interesting to see what if anything the FO does about this. I'm still certain that if there is any possibility for the Rangers to pursue Eichel they will, for better and worse. Eichel seems to fit the vision of Quinn and the FO to a t, and that changes the equation if so.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad