Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Iranian law dictates that Mika is an Iranian citizen, since his father was born in Iran. Whether customs sees it the same way has yet to be determined. I can't imagine it will be an issue. Still, what a disgraceful episode.
Anyways, federal judge has blocked deportations in emergency ruling on Trump's immigration order, so Mika can return:
" A federal judge in Brooklyn came to the aid of scores of refugees and others who were trapped at airports across the United States on Saturday after an executive order signed by President Trump, which sought to keep many foreigners from entering the country, led to chaotic scenes across the globe.

The judge’s ruling blocked part of the president’s actions, preventing the government from deporting some arrivals who found themselves ensnared by the presidential order. But it stopped short of letting them into the country or issuing a broader ruling on the constitutionality of Mr. Trump’s actions."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/...l-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html

JOL

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To be clear, Jol

Based on my understanding of the law (Economist, not law guy)

This ruling prevents deportations but not border purgatory. People can still be held at the customs, just not sent back.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
To be clear, Jol

This ruling prevents deportations but not border purgatory. People can still be held at the customs, just not sent back.

That's a good point, could happen.
Anyways, it seems that airlines, outside of US, already are doing pre-emptive strikes, i.e. would not let possible visa violators to fly back to US.
But in theory Mika would be facing US immigrations in Turks & Caicos (one rumor) and would have to stay there or later on in Canada(all canadian airports have a preclearance?)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't think it's an issue. First and foremost he's born in Sweden and lived his entire life there. Second, James Dolan and the Rangers have access to the best lawyers, agencies, services in the country and he probably also has Trump's cell # considering they're part of the NYC millionaires club. Rosasco is probably already on this. Remember, the club got Prucha's parents into the US back in the day.

Also, if commercial airlines are gonna give Mika problems for any reasons, Dolan has used his private jets to get players to and from games before (remember all the CBJ guys in 2013) to speed up the process.

There would be so much negative press, a PR nightmare ,not to matter Mika would be entitled to sue the heck out of someone for damaging earnings.

If he missed even 1-2 games it would be the most ridiculous thing to happen since the time Renney had to leave the game in CBJ because he got hit by a stick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm going to repeat myself.

The Iranian Director has been told by NO ONE connected with the US gov't that he will not be let in.

The Iranian British MP has been told by NO ONE in the US gov't that he will not be let in.

What HAS happened is that we have been told that things will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

ALL FACT.

Now you can sit here and make assumptions all day...and believe all the rhetoric being put out by people upset with the policy...but I'll wait for things to actually happen.

It's very good to be critical about these things and you raise a lot of good questions.

But this dual citizen thing is an issue that might affect Sweden more than any other country other than maybe Canada and Germany, and the reports so far havebeen worrying.

This is an informative article, should be Google transplantable:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Lb7xJ/usas-ambassad-i-stockholm-vi-vet-inget-an

On the first flight two people did not get a green light when customs ran their passports towards the central database. One got on board but was detained at JFK (although as I understand it he flew from Stockholm but wasn't a Swedish resident).

The U.S. personal stationed in Sweden are saying that they are awaiting information/clarification on dual citizens on Monday. They are on record saying that it's unclear.

Also, while I also in the end share your optimism and yet not really is worried, just acknowledging the risk, there really is no "case-by-case" situation that is workable in a situation like this. What is Mika supposed to do, travel to Canada and hope that the individual in customs let him back in again? If there is any risk -- he will stay in the U.S.

UD (Forign Affairs) and airlines refer questions about the travel ban in the US to the Embassy in Stockholm. But the press attache Mark Cameron has no clear answer to the travelers.
- We are still waiting for guidelines from the Department of Homeland Security in Washington. We will be approached by them, we know nothing yet, says Mark Cameron.
He does not want to give any advice to Swedes on their way to the United States.
- This is something we are working closely on with Washington. We'll get guidelines on how the new rules will be implemented soon. Hopefully by tomorrow but for sure on Monday, said Mark Cameron.
What should you do if you are Swedish citizens with dual citizenship on the way to the US? Or if it is in the pass that you was born in one of these countries?
- I'll be honest and say that you put your finger on the most difficult issue right now, that of dual citizenship. I dare not say anything about it right now. It would be wrong of me to give you a statement at the moment, says Mark Cameron, US press attaché in Sweden.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To be clear, Jol

Hahaha, after Blackburn and Cherepanov this is step three, Mika caught like Tom Hanks in that movie the next five years at JFK.

I can see the news segments, his teammates visiting him while he sits there on an uncomfortable sofa eating potato ships with dark rings under his eyes. "I am fine", says Mika, "Avis is letting me take a shower once a month in their personnel zone." "Mika is with us even if he is not playing", say captain Ryan McDonagh, "he is with us in his spirits. He is a true inspiration to all of us." Although the busy NHL players cannot visit him as much as they want to, they all enjoy it when they get the time. Mats Zuccarello tells a story to the Post about how he, Henrik Lundqvist and Ex-Ranger Sean Avery loves to play a prank with Mika every time they are at NFK that they call Kick the Bum. "It's all fun", says Henrik Lundqvist, "although at times Sean [Avery] gets a bit carried away." Mika admits that he enjoys everything that breaks the monoton lifestyle at an airport, but he also says "I wish there was a dentist in here after the guys kicked in my teeths. But I can still eat potato ships."

Last edited:

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Iranian law dictates that Mika is an Iranian citizen, since his father was born in Iran. Whether customs sees it the same way has yet to be determined. I can't imagine it will be an issue. Still, what a disgraceful episode.

I don't think it would be an issue as long as the place of birth is listed in his passport as Huddinge, Sweden. He shouldn't really have any issues on the border coming in from Canada.

But there's no doubt this EO will affect MZ to some degree. His father won't be able to visit or attend the dads trip.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Current information is, that also people with double citizenships are included to the ban. Apparently Zibanejad has triple citizenship. His Swedish and Finnish citizenships are of course not a problem, but if he has Iranian citizenship too, as has been reported earlier, that would be an issue.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Current information is, that also people with double citizenships are included to the ban. Apparently Zibanejad has triple citizenship. His Swedish and Finnish citizenships are of course not a problem, but if he has Iranian citizenship too, as has been reported earlier, that would be an issue.

That's not the case according to IATA (International Air Transport Association). Mika can enter the US even if he has double citizenship as long as he is traveling with his Swedish passport.

Source: (Swedish) http://www.svd.se/sas-ett-par-personer-nekades-ombordstigning

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's not the case according to IATA (International Air Transport Association). Mika can enter the US even if he has double citizenship as long as he is traveling with his Swedish passport.

Source: (Swedish) http://www.svd.se/sas-ett-par-personer-nekades-ombordstigning

Could be the case, but IATA is not an authority on this subject which the article also said. IATA is in its turn referring to Custom Border Control whatever that is and in which country is unclear.

There should be more news soon, today or tomorrow. This is concerning a lot of people and like the U.S. Embassy said this issue is currently being processed by the proper U.S. authorities that has promised to give a decision later today or at the latest tomorrow.

If it's unclear or negative for Mika, he can still play home games. Right? He won't be deported, right? If he can stay in the US, lets hope that we don't draw Ottawa or Montreal in the POs later on...

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Zibanejad is a professional athlete who isn't even iranian born, who would be backed up by the rangers, the nhl and as already seen on the news, several federal judges to fight against trump's stupidity

zero reason to worry.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm comfortable in thinking Mika is fine, but it would be cool if someone like Larry Brooks recognizes this as a hot topic and gets the Rangers' FO to talk about it. I'm sure the FO knows what the deal is (that Mika has nothing to worry about). C'mon Larry...talk to some higher ups and lay this to rest for us! :)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think it's an issue. First and foremost he's born in Sweden and lived his entire life there. Second, James Dolan and the Rangers have access to the best lawyers, agencies, services in the country and he probably also has Trump's cell # considering they're part of the NYC millionaires club. Rosasco is probably already on this. Remember, the club got Prucha's parents into the US back in the day.

Also, if commercial airlines are gonna give Mika problems for any reasons, Dolan has used his private jets to get players to and from games before (remember all the CBJ guys in 2013) to speed up the process.

There would be so much negative press, a PR nightmare ,not to matter Mika would be entitled to sue the heck out of someone for damaging earnings.

If he missed even 1-2 games it would be the most ridiculous thing to happen since the time Renney had to leave the game in CBJ because he got hit by a stick.

I agree with your first point, just to be clear--there's no reason for concern.

The point about commercial vs. private airlines isn't really valid though, since it's an issue with Customs and not the airlines themselves. You don't just get to (legally) bypass customs by flying on private airlines.

And as far as suing someone, he and others might be able to sue the government over the constitutionality of it, but he's not going to get a cash award for lost wages.

Anyway, Mr. Trump was pretty clear as far back as a year ago that his friends would be allowed to move around regardless of any travel restrictions, so no worries here. :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So there's this article where the Milwaukee Bucks are concerned about Thon Maker, who is from South Sudan, being able to travel across the border:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cks-concerned-thon-maker-travel-order-enacted

I'm not going to argue that the circumstances between Maker and Zibanejad are exactly the same, because they're not. However there is absolutely legitimate concern about this in the realm of professional sports at the moment, particularly because the order was incredibly rushed and the agencies involved in enforcing it don't even understand what they're supposed to do.

So again, while I seriously doubt that this will have any impact on Zibanejad, it's not totally inconceivable and you better believe the Rangers are at least looking into it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So there's this article where the Milwaukee Bucks are concerned about Thon Maker, who is from South Sudan, being able to travel across the border:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cks-concerned-thon-maker-travel-order-enacted

I'm not going to argue that the circumstances between Maker and Zibanejad are exactly the same, because they're not. However there is absolutely legitimate concern about this in the realm of professional sports at the moment, particularly because the order was incredibly rushed and the agencies involved in enforcing it don't even understand what they're supposed to do.

So again, while I seriously doubt that this will have any impact on Zibanejad, it's not totally inconceivable and you better believe the Rangers are at least looking into it.

South Sudan is not on the list

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know if it would be or not. Probably not. I know Leslie needs permission to post her links for NYSportsday (I don't know why). Wasn't sure if that applied to competing forums, too.

You're only allowed to post links to your own content if you're a partner of HF, which explains Leslie's situation. No self-advertising unless it's reciprocated.

There's no prohibition on posting links to "rival" sites. There was a prohibition on one, but it wasn't because it was a rival site, but because of the NSFW stuff and "leaks" from here. The site basically existed to rip this one.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
South Sudan is not on the list

I guess the concern with him was that he was born in a region that was originally Sudan (which is on the list) but later became South Sudan. So again, lots of confusion and concern about the interpretation and implementation of the order.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I agree with your first point, just to be clear--there's no reason for concern.

The point about commercial vs. private airlines isn't really valid though, since it's an issue with Customs and not the airlines themselves. You don't just get to (legally) bypass customs by flying on private airlines.

And as far as suing someone, he and others might be able to sue the government over the constitutionality of it, but he's not going to get a cash award for lost wages.

Anyway, Mr. Trump was pretty clear as far back as a year ago that his friends would be allowed to move around regardless of any travel restrictions, so no worries here. :laugh:

I brought up the flight issue solely because customs would probably be easier for him if it was a small or one man flight in terms of processing, etc.

His g/f or wife is also Canadian and he owns property in Ottawa and NY. He should be fine.

I don't think Larry or anyone would bring this up with the Rangers. Remember, under Dolan the Rangers have the "Everything is magical and perfect in the land of MSG" PR motto. Rosasco is at every press conference to pretty much ensure this.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I agree for sure, would not bet that there will be any problems.

But, Zibanejad de facto has Iranian Citizenship (since they use the jus sanguinis (right of blood) principle). WJS is reporting the ban covering dual citizenships according to state sources:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-v...-nationality-state-department-says-1485628654
"Citizens of the seven countries identified by President Donald Trump for a 90-day visa ban who hold dual nationality also will be barred from entering the U.S., State Department officials said Saturday."

Being a lawyer, I tend to see risks. In this one, I don't for a second believe in either (i) any case-by-case strategy being used or (ii) the ban not covering people with dual citizenships.

In the first instance, it doesn't work like this. There will be attention on this, you can't count on buddy buddy some guard. You can't expect Zibanejad to get any kind of pre-clearance. There will be 1,000s effected.

In the second instance, what is the rule supposed to be? Is it OK to enter the US if you have citizenship in both Afganistan and Iran but not only Iran? No, but Sweden and Iran is ok?

If anything, I think it might become a matter of documentation and proof. MZ has his passport and Visa when passing the customs. If someone is going to stop him, they of course need a ground for it. What will that ground? That his father is Iranian and hence he per automatic gets citizenship there? How would they know?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Guys..none of these pro players are going to be shipped back. It's absolutely crazy to think they will. They will be vetted in 10 seconds IF they are even considered to be from these banned countries.

This was put into place to keep people who might have terrorists ties out of our country.

Again, all this commotion over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad