Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There goes our first round sweep of Montreal. :help:

I really don't think this is going to be a problem. It'll be figured out. I'd put it as less than 1% that Mika misses any games because of this.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers are an employee relations machine. Best in pro sports. Well known around the league that they treat their players like absolute gods.

If anything happened to Mika, the Rangers would sue so many people so fast that the tremors would be felt back in Sweden.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
It appears that the current administration hopes to prioritize the acceptance of religious minorities (i.e. Christians) from the 7 Muslim-majority countries in question. Even if Mika does hold dual citizenship, maybe the fact that he is a Christian means he'll be unaffected by the current ban. :dunno:

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
So what if he was born in Sweden?

So he holds dual Finnish and Iranian citizenship. In Sweden you "inherit" the citizenship of your parents.
This doesn't matter anyways. The ban is on immigration, it has no effect on current residents.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Rangers are an employee relations machine. Best in pro sports. Well known around the league that they treat their players like absolute gods.

If anything happened to Mika, the Rangers would sue so many people so fast that the tremors would be felt back in Sweden.

Reading this makes me happy my team is this powerful...

Unlike the devil's who had to move to Newark :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So he holds dual Finnish and Iranian citizenship. In Sweden you "inherit" the citizenship of your parents.
This doesn't matter anyways. The ban is on immigration, it has no effect on current residents.

From Reuters:

"New restrictions on immigrants and refugees in an executive order signed by President Donald Trump will mean legal permanent residents who have passports from the seven countries have to be cleared back into the United States on a case-by-case basis, an official told reporters in a briefing."

So, yeah it does.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
From Reuters:

"New restrictions on immigrants and refugees in an executive order signed by President Donald Trump will mean legal permanent residents who have passports from the seven countries have to be cleared back into the United States on a case-by-case basis, an official told reporters in a briefing."

So, yeah it does.

Cleared back in. He hasn't left the country so it's not an issue.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
From Reuters:

So, yeah it does.

Mika is certainly a special case. He won't have a problem playing games in Canada and getting back in to the U.S.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cleared back in. He hasn't left the country so it's not an issue.

So everything will be fine unless he the Rangers have a game in Canada. :laugh:

Look I seriously doubt this would impact Zibanejad in any way, but I felt compelled to correct you. You can't just run around claiming what these types of things do and do not affect without knowing what you're actually talking about. That's how we ended up where we're at.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mika is certainly a special case. He won't have a problem playing games in Canada and getting back in to the U.S.

Yes, I made the point about him being a special case earlier in this thread. Just correcting an incorrect statement that the order only affected new immigrants.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
So everything will be fine unless he the Rangers have a game in Canada. :laugh:

Look I seriously doubt this would impact Zibanejad in any way, but I felt compelled to correct you. You can't just run around claiming what these types of things do and do not affect without knowing what you're actually talking about. That's how we ended up where we're at.

Lol fair enough. Agreed, can't possibly see the NHL/NHLPA allowing this to effect any players.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol

The executive order only mentions diplomats as "special cases," the Iraq-born British MP was told he can't come here, that Iranian director can't make it to the Oscars. There are scientists and PhDs that got caught up in the air, aren't they objectively as important to the country as a good second line center? Obviously it's all a moot point if he doesn't have that citizenship.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The executive order only mentions diplomats as "special cases," the Iraq-born British MP was told he can't come here, that Iranian director can't make it to the Oscars. There are scientists and PhDs that got caught up in the air, aren't they objectively as important to the country as a good second line center? Obviously it's all a moot point if he doesn't have that citizenship.

Honestly, yeah, a professional athlete would probably draw more media attention and outrage from your "average Joe" than any of those aforementioned cases, sad as that is. And that's really what matters, is how big of a story it is.

Those other guys do science and smart guy things and are bad.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

This is untrue. Neither of them have been told by anyone representing the US gov't that they will be denied entry. What you are reading is undoubtedly knee-jerk "woe as me" statements made by upset people and special interest groups. Neither of these people know for sure what will happen...and they always have the ability to apply for special exemption. In my mind, if it came down to that, people like this would be exempt due to their exceptional status.

All you are reading now online is tons and tons of websites looking for clicks. Calm down.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
This is untrue. Neither of them have been told by anyone representing the US gov't that they will be denied entry. What you are reading is undoubtedly knee-jerk "woe as me" statements made by upset people and special interest groups. Neither of these people know for sure what will happen...and they always have the ability to apply for special exemption. In my mind, if it came down to that, people like this would be exempt due to their exceptional status.

All you are reading now online is tons and tons of websites looking for clicks. Calm down.

If they wanted to write in an exception for O and P-visas I'm sure they would have. They had enough time. If they couldn't fathom the possibility that people from the Undesirable Nations might be famous, that's on them

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
If they wanted to write in an exception for O and P-visas I'm sure they would have. They had enough time. If they couldn't fathom the possibility that people from the Undesirable Nations might be famous, that's on them

I'm going to repeat myself.

The Iranian Director has been told by NO ONE connected with the US gov't that he will not be let in.

The Iranian British MP has been told by NO ONE in the US gov't that he will not be let in.

What HAS happened is that we have been told that things will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

ALL FACT.

Now you can sit here and make assumptions all day...and believe all the rhetoric being put out by people upset with the policy...but I'll wait for things to actually happen.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol

The Iranian Director has been told by NO ONE connected with the US gov't that he will not be let in.

The Iranian British MP has been told by NO ONE in the US gov't that he will not be let in.

What HAS happened is that we have been told that things will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

ALL FACT.

Now you can sit here and make assumptions all day...and believe all the rhetoric being put out by people upset with the policy...but I'll wait for things to actually happen.

They were all already accepted into this country on a case-by-case basis. But if you have to pay a bribe to this third-world government, yeah, I'm sure the famous people will be able to do that.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

ALL FACT.

It's possible they were told by their respective countries that legally they fall under the ban. I doubt anyone thinks all several million people received an individual text.

What's the big deal anyway? Zibanejad will be fine. The rangers will be fine. And as long as our favorite athletes and foreign language film directors are taken care of everyone will be happy. I mean outside of a those with a shred of human decency and/or a basic understanding of the Immigration and Nationality act, who's going to care?

Go Rangers!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Political discussion on this topic is inevitable for the time being.

Moderators will be in here watching the thread closely and reserve the right to address content that is off topic, offensive, or inaccurate. Please exercise tact, and remember that people do not come to HFNYR to talk politics.

For political discussion, please see the board specifically reserved for that purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad