Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm excited to see what Zibanejad can bring to the team.

Right-handed and a strong shot will be pretty good, I think. Wonder how it'll pan out on the powerplay, assuming he's used there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now our top two centers are right handed, and our third line center is one of the worst FO men in the NHL, even though he's left handed. Jooris who we signed is also right handed. There's going to be a lot of responsibility on JT Miller, Marek Hrivik and Oscar Lindberg to win FO's.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Levitate said:
On a team that was loading up to be a contender for a few years and needed to fill a hole, sure I'd go 2 years with him. For the Rangers purposes, he's 32 and I wouldn't commit multiple years and money to him...he'd be a great sign and trade at the deadline guy.

This. If Gorton doesn't make any more big moves, I hope at the very least he can sign a couple role players who will have value come the trade deadline. Let's keep the 2nd and 3rd round picks coming this way for a change.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Now our top two centers are right handed, and our third line center is one of the worst FO men in the NHL, even though he's left handed. Jooris who we signed is also right handed. There's going to be a lot of responsibility on JT Miller, Marek Hrivik and Oscar Lindberg to win FO's.

Perhaps Stepan and Hayes found Faceoff Jesus and got consistently good at them during the offseason. Like Brass did last offseason.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Ziba took just over 1300 draws last season and won more than half of them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Perhaps Stepan and Hayes found Faceoff Jesus and got consistently good at them during the offseason. Like Brass did last offseason.

My point is that you probably want some right/left balance from your face-off men, so Stepan doesn't really matter for that point. Hayes does, but I'm not really optimistic about him becoming better on FO's. He's so so so bad on them.

Ziba took just over 1300 draws last season and won more than half of them.

Yeah, I'm not worried about that, he can win FO's, I'm worried about the balance from FO's. We are losing our two best lefty FO men, and replacing them with two right FO men.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
My point is that you probably want some right/left balance from your face-off men, so Stepan doesn't really matter for that point. Hayes does, but I'm not really optimistic about him becoming better on FO's. He's so so so bad on them.

Yeah, I'm not worried about that, he can win FO's, I'm worried about the balance from FO's. We are losing our two best lefty FO men, and replacing them with two right FO men.

I mean, We're probably set on the top 3 Cs being Stepan-Zibby-Hayes. That's R-R-L.

Now, we have Jooris likely to start out as 4C. Righty. But what happens when Lindberg comes back? Does he become 4C? He's a lefty.

Will be interesting to see what happens once he's back. We could end up R-R-L-R or go R-R-L-L down the center.

And yes, players like Miller and one of Jooris/Lindberg (whoever is winging) could sub in and take faceoffs.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think R/L on faceoffs is one of the most unimportant and overused things in the game. AV is all about it and it burned us so many times when he would use Stepan on a draw in the defensive zone on the right side because he didn't want to have Moore or Brassard win it towards the net.

I think it's good as a tiebreaker but when there's a huge skill difference between the two guys you can't be making decisions like that. At least now we should see Zibanejad take many of those key faceoffs instead of Stepan. In all likelihood they will both be on the ice and Zibs will take them and if he gets thrown out Stepan will be the guy who comes in - which is still better than having a winger take it.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Thinking this through I'm pumped. We happen to have a really young group still.

Stepan - 26
Kreider - 25
Miller - 23
Hayes - 24
Buchnevich - 21
Zibanejad - 23
Lindberg - 24
Fast - 24

McDonagh - 27
McIlrath - 24
Clendening - 23
Skjei - 22

Edit: need to get younger on defense. I love Klein but he is the most moveable piece to recoup some prospects.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
thinking this through i'm pumped. We happen to have a really young group still.

Stepan - 26
kreider - 25
miller - 23
hayes - 24
buchnevich - 21
zibanejad - 23
lindberg - 24
fast - 24

mcdonagh - 27
mcilrath - 24
clendening - 23
skjei - 22

edit: Need to get younger on defense. I love klein but he is the most moveable piece to recoup some prospects.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
All I wanted this off-season was to get younger. And faster. But the priority was to improve upon our league-worst farm. Well we just got our best young player and most valuable asset under the age of 25.

It just sucks it had to be one of the few players who wasn't a part of a rather large problem that had to go.

That 2014 team has been totally dismantled. And yet Staal and Girardi still wear blue shirts. Sather decided to keep literally the worst players he could've kept.

But while we are at it, I'd like to see similar deals for Zuccarello and Klein. There is no reason to keep them. The longer we wait, the older they get, the more they depreciate. No sense in waiting 2-4 years when we totally bottom out.

But we keep Nash though. For now. His value is probably not that great. But if he gets off to a good start, he would be an attractive piece at the TDL. We'd probably have to retain a bit.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Losing Boyle alone probably helps that number out a lot

Boyle and Moore brought the average up, for sure.

But even when looking at just the forwards, it's young. The only forwards above 30 are Nash and Glass. Gerbe and Grabner are both 28.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I just wish we had a legit prospect pool and the future would he so bright in Manhattan

If you can trade Nash and SOMEHOW get rid of Girardi and Staal, were an extremely young squad. And if we're seriously going down the rebuild road and trade for picks and spects, you trade Hank, sign or trade for a decent starting goalie and bring over Igor to backup.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m not sure about this deal to be honest.
2nd. round pick is neat next year, but this player is far below Derick Brassard current skill level - so it`s a downgrade even though he is 23.
If we are rebuilding - I hope they consider to move Lundquist, Nash, Zuccarello, M. Staal, Klein, & Girardi within (2-3) seasons.

KreiderHouseRules*

Boyle and Moore brought the average up, for sure.

But even when looking at just the forwards, it's young. The only forwards above 30 are Nash and Glass. Gerbe and Grabner are both 28.

But this is HF.

HF: Where being 25 is ancient and you're declining fast and must be traded!

KreiderHouseRules*

I`m not sure about this deal to be honest.
2nd. round pick is neat next year, but this player is far below Derick Brassard current skill level - so it`s a downgrade even though he is 23.
If we are rebuilding - I hope they consider to move Lundquist, Nash, Zuccarello, M. Staal, Klein, & Girardi within (2-3) seasons.

I think they're pretty even right now with Z having better hands to finish and a better shot (wrist and one-timer and slap too)- Brass probably a better playmaker right now but Zibby is only getting better

This guy was a 6th overall pick. He could've gone top-5. He oozes with talent.

I can't wait to see which wingers he develops chemistry with.

But mostly I'm excited to see him used on the PP. I want him in that Ovechkin/Stamkos spot blasting one-timers but he can also make a play from that spot by drawing attention. He's amazing at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and at zone entries with his speed and long reach to hold the puck away from his body while still maintaining crisp control so it can't be taken away. He's really one of the best young centers on the rush as well. He hasn't had the best teams or linemates on a consistent basis and he's only 23 so I expect his numbers to go up. He's a legit top-5 talent that we're always clamoring about how we never get those guys in their prime. Well now we did.

Nash is a 1st overall but we got him at the end of his peak and the middle-end of his prime it appears. The jury is still somewhat out, but Zibanejad is a legitimate elite player skill-wise. If he can figure out how to bring that intensity and confidence on a consistent basis (which depends on a number of factors including but not limited to linemates, how he's used on the PP, luck, and how quickly he adjusts to the new team and gains confidence), I still think his potential of that of a shoot-first Jason Spezza or even Nathan MacKinnon-lite. We shall see but this trade is fantastic. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Brassard but you can't turn this trade down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All I wanted this off-season was to get younger. And faster. But the priority was to improve upon our league-worst farm. Well we just got our best young player and most valuable asset under the age of 25.

It just sucks it had to be one of the few players who wasn't a part of a rather large problem that had to go.

That 2014 team has been totally dismantled. And yet Staal and Girardi still wear blue shirts. Sather decided to keep literally the worst players he could've kept.

But while we are at it, I'd like to see similar deals for Zuccarello and Klein. There is no reason to keep them. The longer we wait, the older they get, the more they depreciate. No sense in waiting 2-4 years when we totally bottom out.

But we keep Nash though. For now. His value is probably not that great. But if he gets off to a good start, he would be an attractive piece at the TDL. We'd probably have to retain a bit.

Nothing we can do about that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad