Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That collision with Bergeron may have cost us some history this season.

Zibanejad's current pace would have him breaking Jagr's single season goal scoring record.

A healthy Zibanejad also might've given us out first season with two players scoring more than 100 points in 28 years. It would've marked only the third time in franchise history.

and possible the Rangers would be in a playoff spot instead of chasing one

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Zibanejad was a high risk pick .

A high risk pick, really? Dominating in the JWC, winning gold for Sweden including scoring the gwg, a high risk project, you are right. :help: I could list many players that draft being a higher risk than Mika, that's for sure.

Ottawa Senators s***s though but that's another story, perhaps worst management in the history of NHL, a bit like Maple Leafs during their worst era.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A high risk pick, really? Dominating in the JWC, winning gold for Sweden including scoring the gwg, a high risk project, you are right. :help: I could list many players that draft being a higher risk than Mika, that's for sure.

Ottawa Senators s***s though but that's another story, perhaps worst management in the history of NHL, a bit like Maple Leafs during their worst era.

You realize all of those things happened AFTER he was selected right?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Zibanejad was a high risk pick and Ottawa even reached a little IIRC. He had great tools but didn't even score PPG in SuperElit and only had 11 P in 33 GP in the SHL in his draft season. He scored at about the same rate as Lias' draft season in his D+1 year and Lias had 61 P in 38 GP in SuperElit in his D-1 season.

Strome OTOH was one of those guys piling up a million points in the CHL that are hard to predict if they become stars in the NHL due to a little too low quality of competition, but they are safe bets to become productive players.

Whats crazy is how good the centers who went 6-7-8 in that draft turned out.

Is anyone taking RNH over any of those guys?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Remember earlier in the year when Panarin moved to the right side when Mika came back from injury?

It was met with deserved criticism. However, in this game when the Caps started cheating Panarin hard we moved Panarin to that side which opened up Ziba. We didnt score. But man the flexibility to mess up with a teams defensive strategy by rotating the two is nice. Now imagine if Kaako or Kratsov can develop into a weapon on the opposite side.

The Caps announcers were saying how the Rangers power play looked like the Caps power play.

Highest degree of a compliment by Caps’ announcers to compare our PP to Washington’s.

Joking aside we need to acknowledge that Panarin and Zibanejad can do well in practically any spot on the PP so that’s they only need to keep moving and Quinn just need to figure out other pieces around them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That first unit is just stupidly loaded. Strome is the only guy you can kind of sleep on when defending them, the other 4 are ruthless. Hopefully Kakko can take Strome’s spot there before too long and be dangerous.

Do you forget now Strome’s high shooting % and vision to find star players with his passes? The PP got better after Quinn inserted Strome into the first unit, got to admit.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
The “Around the NHL” thread on the Sens board is a hell of a read tonight.
when the trade happened i questioned it. I thought it was weird because whenever he played us he impressed me and showed flashes of something amazing. I’m not saying I knew but it didn’t hurt to trade brassard at the time.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
when the trade happened i questioned it. I thought it was weird because whenever he played us he impressed me and showed flashes of something amazing. I’m not saying I knew but it didn’t hurt to trade brassard at the time.
Also we wanted him forever. I feel like I remember there being a rumor that we asked for Zib for MDZ back when we were looking to trade him.

Reactions: Cmox

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
As an interviewee, sure, but I’m sure he wouldn’t be boring to go clubbing with lol

Oh and f*** Michael Kay. Hate that guy. Franceser 4 lyfe @NYSPORTS

The Michael Kay show is garbage, it's a show about nonsense disguised as sports talk radio.

Humpty Rothy and Canty is the best show in all of NY right now

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Found one more...

66188F2E-8C24-41BE-A54A-3B5133BAC304.png

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
You realize all of those things happened AFTER he was selected right?

Ahh............. :-D a good one

Well, I don't consider Zibanejad a particular high risk pick anyway.

Ottawa is a high risk team going to though, for sure, but Mika survived.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Ahh............. :-D a good one

Well, I don't consider Zibanejad a particular high risk pick anyway.

Ottawa is a high risk team going to though, for sure, but Mika survived.

Why? Drafting good young players and developing them might be about the only thing the Senators are actually good at.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Zib is on the Michael Kay show right now. I love him but damn is he boring lol
Not as a person though, only when he's interviewed in traditional media and has to be formal. When he can be himself he's chill, down to earth and funny as f***. When he's showboating, it's to entertain.

When I or some other Swede has the energy, we can try to translate it. It basically starts with Mika having a parking ticket, being interviewed by another former hockey player. Mika only rents the place, he jokes he thought some James Bond character owns the place when he also saw the computer on the wall, that doesn't work. They talk a bit of him taping his sticks so far down and that he did it during a good game and couldn't stop. They also talk about white skates and that Mika actually played with white skates, until the assistant general manager ordered him to switch to black, which he thought was ridiculous. Zibanejad is also planning to build a house in Sweden.

Z is a huge Manchester United fan and he shows it by both having the T-shirt and "kitting up" when he visited Manchester. When they're exiting, the interviewer asks if he would've rather been a football star than a hockey star Mika answers: "Yes, but only for a day.". The interviewer mocks him that he's perfect as a football star, with the haircut and everything.

They had a penalty duel, where the loser would have to stand in the sun roof of the car on the way back, while the other could choose the music. Zibanejad happily laughs he accepts that challenge every day of the week.

Mika won and told him he wouldn't exactly take the shortest route home. Then there's a segment where Mika jokingly says he's more nervous being a DJ than playing hockey, because when his performance sucks, he can at least point fingers on someone else in hockey.

If you're fluent in Swedish, this is awesome and Mika is far from a boring person. I would love to have him as a friend, even if he wasn't a hockey star. That's why Quinn says both he, the staff and the players recognize Zibanejad isn't only a great player, but a great person. Very low maintenance.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He also said in his interview that he felt he made decent progress while in Ottawa, the trade served as a wake up call that nothing is guaranteed. He said he didn’t have the ‘best summers’ before the trade and really buckled down after it. Guess the Ottawa fans were right about his lack of commitment to training and being all in on hockey before the trade. Pretty interesting

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The Michael Kay show is garbage, it's a show about nonsense disguised as sports talk radio.
There’s only so much repetitive hot take sports cliches I can take. I personally appreciate the Michael Kay show going off topic and enjoy the silliness of it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad