(Might as well make this) D Pairings in Light of Trades?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Yeah, as the 2nd line center and eventually 1st line center after Tavares got hurt. No way does he replicate those #'s.

True, but it does showcase that the Isles have pretty good forward depth. I actually think it's one of the teams strengths. They have a ton of NHL quality depth... not a ton of superstars, but a lot of solid players. I think it compares favorably to say a team like the Blues, although I think the Blues are better.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
True, but it does showcase that the Isles have pretty good forward depth. I actually think it's one of the teams strengths. They have a ton of NHL quality depth... not a ton of superstars, but a lot of solid players. I think it compares favorably to say a team like the Blues, although I think the Blues are better.

I'd think more like Columbus. A pair of studs then a great 2 way center, and a bunch of young guys with promise.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Should be:

de Haan-Hamonic
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Visnovsky

It's going to be interesting to see who gets waived tomorrow. We could be looking at Carkner, Donovan, or Strait as our extra

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Should be:

de Haan-Hamonic
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Visnovsky

It's going to be interesting to see who gets waived tomorrow. We could be looking at Carkner, Donovan, or Strait as our extra

With Carkner, De Haan and Visnovsky potentially on the IR they might be able to hold off sending somebody down

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
As most have said, the best pairings would probably be:
de Haan - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Visnovsky
Scratched: Strait

I like Donovan more than Strait, but I'd rather have Donovan get AHL playing time than ride the pine every night. Strait sucks but he's fine as a 7th d-man and I don't mind if he never gets to play.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Yeah, as the 2nd line center and eventually 1st line center after Tavares got hurt. No way does he replicate those #'s.

How is having a guy playing on the third line who is capable of playing a 2nd line offensive role, and even a 1st line role in stretches when necessary, not indicative of forward depth?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Should be:

de Haan-Hamonic
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Visnovsky

I like everything but the size of the 3rd pairing. I know they played well together in the past in stints, but they are both very much undersized. I would feel a lot better if each of them were paired with a Boychuk/Reinhart. If Viz is out to start the season, a Hickey/Reinhart pairing works well.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Was watching Hockey Night Live last night that had a preview to the Eastern Conference and when they came up to the Islanders and talked about the Islanders defense, they mentioned the top 4 of Boychuk, Leddy, Hammer and Vis being as good as anyone in the league and then mentioned CdH, Hickey and Carkner as nice pieces in addition....CdH as a throw in, really? Just goes to prove that there are alot of talking hockey heads who have no idea about the NY Islanders. :shakehead

KanetoToews2883

Sep 14, 2011
I don't know much about the Islanders, but in Chicago Leddy was played in sheltered minutes against the teams bottom lines. He's also had really poor partners (Rozsival / Brookbank) so this could partially be the issue. He's really good with the puck and is a guy who prefers to carry it in, he has the speed through the neutral zone to do this. That said, he will need a partner that will allow him this flexibility. Boychuk/Hamonic/Reinhart might be the better suited partners for him.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Any Islander fans have a guess at which D will be used on the powerplay? Leftwinglock says Donovan was used quite a bit back there last year but obviously with fresh faces and no injuries theres quite a few options back there going into this season

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Any Islander fans have a guess at which D will be used on the powerplay? Leftwinglock says Donovan was used quite a bit back there last year but obviously with fresh faces and no injuries theres quite a few options back there going into this season

IF everyone is healthy.... Visnovsky and Leddy should see the most time on the Powerplay.

Boychuk hasn't been used too much on the Powerplay in Boston but with that shot and him being Right handed, I could see them giving him chances there. (depending on how much ice time he is getting at even strength and PK (which I would presume to be a lot)

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY

As long as he's healthy, Visnovsky will be the #1 option. Staple tweeted this morning that Boychuk practiced with the first PP unit and Leddy witht the second.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
As most have said, the best pairings would probably be:
de Haan - Hamonic
Leddy - Boychuk
Hickey - Visnovsky
Scratched: Strait

I like Donovan more than Strait, but I'd rather have Donovan get AHL playing time than ride the pine every night. Strait sucks but he's fine as a 7th d-man and I don't mind if he never gets to play.
Donovan is a train wreck is his own end. I hope he stays in BP.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Classic Capuano. Leddy should be the teams #1 option at PP (maybe tied with Viz). And Boychuk should be the #1 option on the PK..... but......you know

I haven't seen much of Leddy's shot but I do know that Boychuk has a mega cannon so not too pissed about him being #1 PP. I do agree that Boychuk should be the #1 option on the PK. With our train wreck of a PK, we need all the defensively sound players and the fact he can move bodies should be used so in order to not have him playing 28 min a game, Leddy should be the first option on the PP.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen much of Leddy's shot but I do know that Boychuk has a mega cannon so not too pissed about him being #1 PP. I do agree that Boychuk should be the #1 option on the PK. With our train wreck of a PK, we need all the defensively sound players and the fact he can move bodies should be used so in order to not have him playing 28 min a game, Leddy should be the first option on the PP.

That's my thinking. It's not too complex, its basically common sense.

The more I think about it, the more I would like a de Haan - Boychuk pairing. Just staple those two guys together, have them be the shutdown tandem on even strength and first pairing PK. Both are nice options on PP in a reserv role but wouldn't want to burn either out, they are both too important at ES and PK.

I think Leddy is ready to emerge as a #1 PP option. Plus, I wouldn't want him getting much burn on the PK, so you can load him up all you want on the PP. (Same could be said for Viz.

Hickey-Hamonic would be an excellent 2nd pairing PK duo.

Personnel wise the PK should be MUCH improved with the additions of Boychuk, Halak and Johnson. But with the coaching, I'm not convinced it's going to work out as well as it should.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I know it's an upper body injury, but I remember Staple saying that it was not the shoulder!

Edit: Couldn't find the tweet so don't quote me on that. But I remember reading it somewhere!

I would like to know too!!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/injuries

"Calvin de Haan Day-To-Day Oct 3
Comment: De Haan (upper body) could missing opening night on Oct. 10, according to Newsday."

"Lubomir Visnovsky Day-To-Day Oct 3
Comment: Visnovsky (back) is expected to be ready for opening night on Oct. 10, according to Newsday."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ons-to-make-for-final-23-man-roster-1.9470087

"Lubomir Visnovsky (back), Calvin de Haan (upper body) and Ryan Pulock (lower body) could return to practice, but whether any of them will be ready for Friday's season opener in Carolina is still a mystery."

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
hey guys, i got Leddy in my fantasy draft last night and excited to see what he can do with you guys

my d i still pretty thin so also looking at De Haan, Donovan, or Hamonic

Do you think Hamonic is worth a flier?
we don't count hits but shots, points and PPP, wondering if he'll get some pp time being a right handed shot

thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad