Blue Jays Discussion: Midway point in the season and things don't look.. Ugh.. Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah i get that, but... Wouldn't your analytics dept say.. Hey, this guys injury prone, do not sign. Sounds like an experiment to me.

I would hope my analytics department would say "This guy is really good but can't stay on the field, so offer him a relatively cheap contract that pays him as if he'll play less than half a season, and we'll work with him to try to keep him on the field more."

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
While B and C are stupid, A can actually be supported by studies on pitchers who have had TJ. Obviously that doesn't mean it is deteriorating, just that he's at a greater risk.

That concerns me about Osuna, and I'm not convinced Sanchez is open to a reasonable extension. If he is, I would love to see them work one out.

Stroman, though... I want that to get done as soon as possible.

Correct. Absolutely it can be supported. However, there's no evidence to suggest his is. Now, if I was head of the front office, I would monitor his medicals, but I would do the same thing with any pitcher in their 20's who was a member of my franchise.

Now is the perfect time for all three, IMO. All three are currently undervalued compared to what they can produce over the next five years. Sanchez lost a year, Stroman's ERA is bloated by two or three bad starts, and Osuna is about to be Kenley Jensen like.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think one thing that's key is we need to move one of Smoak/Morales/Pierce. With the emergence of Smoak we have a dead spot. Morales would be the best but very much the hardest to move. Pearce could have some value but a season riddled with injury could make it more difficult. Smoak IMO unless we get a stupid offer makes no sense to move. Just to much value right to us right now.

What's the market for Pierce as I don't see one for Morales.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Wonder if Morales with most of the contract eaten could be flipped.

I could see the Royals taking him back at a reduced rate. That's about it, barring an injury.

I don't think we'd have to retain a ton to move him. Maybe a two or three million a year if there is interest there. I'd add that they are looking for back end pen help so maybe throw Smith into the deal to facilitate it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wonder if Morales with most of the contract eaten could be flipped.

If the Jays ate half of the deal (22M left) then it would 5.5M in 2018 and 5.5M in 2019. I would think that is easy to move.

Unless we are moving Morales to re-sign Bautista to DH then i keep Morales. Like the switch hitting.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the Jays ate half of the deal (22M left) then it would 5.5M in 2018 and 5.5M in 2019. I would think that is easy to move.

Unless we are moving Morales to re-sign Bautista to DH then i keep Morales. Like the switch hitting.

I don't see the benefit in eating part of the contract and then signing/paying another DH next year unless the return is a very good prospect and no team is desperate enough to do that.

I think Morales will be here for the next 2 years.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see the benefit in eating part of the contract and then signing/paying another DH next year unless the return is a very good prospect and no team is desperate enough to do that.

You have Pearce and Smoak who can 1B/DH. You don't have to add anyone for those positions. That keeps a couple good bats in the lineup at those positions and you can focus on improving OF defense by not having Pearce out there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I agreed. The return has to make sense.

I believe Morales will be here for 2018 at least.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You have Pearce and Smoak who can 1B/DH. You don't have to add anyone for those positions. That keeps a couple good bats in the lineup at those positions and you can focus on improving OF defense by not having Pearce out there.

Agreed as long as Pearce can stay healthy. I guess we could have Tallez waiting in the wings as insurance. At some point I think we gotta give the kids that are close a legitimate shot to stick with the big club.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Pearce to DH would be a nice move - reduces his risk of injury while improving our defense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
David Phelps for Brayan Hernandez, Brandon Miller, Pablo Lopez and Lukas Schiraldi

How does Phelps match up against the bullpen guys we have available for trade?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

with 11 days remaining before the july 31 trade deadline, the toronto blue jays are nearing one of the busiest times of year for a front office. Gm ross atkins told sportsnet’s starting lineup that the blue jays are working to improve the club for 2018 and beyond without subtracting too much from their current team—a challenge that means exploring many possibilities at once.

“you can’t think about three or four potential moves, you have to think about 50 moves,†atkins told elliott price and greg brady on sportsnet 590 the fan. “we have to think about every possible scenario and every possible way to make this team better.â€

while players like roberto osuna and marcus stroman would no doubt appeal to other teams because of their talent level and remaining years of control, the blue jays have made it clear that they don’t plan to part with core pieces. As such, they haven’t been getting lots of unexpected calls from other clubs.

“executives respect where you are and what your strategy is if you clearly articulate it,†atkins said.

Eventually the blue jays will have to determine whether they’re going to extend josh donaldson before the 2018-19 off-season, when he’s eligible for free agency. That may be an off-season conversation, though. For now, atkins declined to discuss a possible extension in detail.

“we want to do anything and everything we can to make our team better, and we hope that josh donaldson is a part of that,†atkins said.
“we may get occasional phone calls. We have one of the better performing pitchers in baseball right now, marcus stroman. Those rumours happen every year when you have one of the better performing players in baseball. We have an incredible closer in roberto osuna. Those rumours happen every year because teams would love to add pieces like that. We have one of the better players in baseball in josh donaldson. So, rumours come up, but executives respect where you are, what your strategy is if you clearly articulate it. Then they don’t spend a lot of time on kicking your tires. It does happen where they’ll say ‘is this something we should spend time on?’ and we’ll say â€no.’ those calls actually haven’t happened.â€

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
David Phelps for Brayan Hernandez, Brandon Miller, Pablo Lopez and Lukas Schiraldi

How does Phelps match up against the bullpen guys we have available for trade?

Smith is cheaper and better, but Phelps has another year of arbitration next year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Nate Pearson just tweeted that he's being promoted from the GCL to Vancouver.

Management needs to be more aggressive with prospect assignments. He was obviously way too good for the GCL but they just left him there to dominate all those 18-year-old kids. It shouldn't have taken him this long to get the call to Vancouver.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Management needs to be more aggressive with prospect assignments. He was obviously way too good for the GCL but they just left him there to dominate all those 18-year-old kids. It shouldn't have taken him this long to get the call to Vancouver.

He was building up arm strength after long time off from his season. He's only played one game in the GCL.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He was only there for like a week.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Yeah, that ONE inning he pitched was complete overkill. Talk about lost development time.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
'Twas a joke. I thought it was funny that he was assigned to the GCL, made a one-inning start, and got promoted.

Why is that funny? Their spring complex is in Dunedin; he was literally just hanging out at the complex where they threw him out for one game.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Why is that funny? Their spring complex is in Dunedin; he was literally just hanging out at the complex where they threw him out for one game.

Sigh...

A handful of people like to complain about management not aggressively pushing prospects through the system (i.e. Greene not starting 2016 at AA, Guerrero and Bichette staying in Lansing for 300+ plate appearances) instead of taking Anthopoulos's Pompey/Norris approach. I think that's silly, and I made fun of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->