Middle of the summer rosterbation thread.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I don't "want" anything, in the sense that say I want Frost only if he's ready, he's a tough decision that will be made in camp, some undersized players have successfully jumped after a year (TK, Marner, etc), others have spent two years in juniors without harm (Barzel, etc). Patrick was a no-brainer, he dominated junior at 17, has a man's body, and the only question was how long he'd need to get healthy. TK is stouter than Frost, even though he's short. Giroux took a while, hasn't held back his career. On the other hand, Frost would have a sheltered role as a 3C with talented wings (Lindblom, Simmonds), much easier transition than say Nico at 18.

I "want" Vorobyev, but again, if he needs seasoning given his lack of KHL PT, I can wait until January, this is a transition year, the team in April (say if Frost doesn't go deep into the CHL playoffs, he might go directly to the NHL playoffs, Vorobyev might be up, even Rubtsov and Hart depending on LHV's playoff run) could be quite different than the team in October.

I "want" Myers and expect him to win a job in camp.

Some others are tricky, I don't think Weal is a good fit at LW unless Vorobyev is the center, and he's not a RW
NAK has to win a job, he won't be handed one.
MV is a disappointment, Ron really like Bardreau two years ago, so he has a shot at the 4th line.

My expected October lineup:

Giroux - Couts - TK
JVR - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Weal - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - NAK
Bardreau, Weise

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
MacDonald - Myers
Folin, Hagg

Elliott, Neuvirth, Lyon (if they don't think he'll make it through waivers)

My expected April lineup:

Giroux - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Frost - Simmonds
Laughton - Vorobyev - Raffl
NAK, Bardreau
That Lindblom Weal Simmer line has all the making of a Leino Briere Hartnell line, at least in my dreams.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now we can say that, but you never know. Pastrnak was chosen 25th in 2014 and has a strong argument for being the top player from his class only 4 years later. I'm not saying Frost will be better than Patrick or Nico. I doubt he will. But, there is a lot of development still to be done on both Frost and Nico/Nolan's part.

I'm thinking more in terms of rookie year, a scorer on the wing can adjust to the NHL much faster than a center who has more responsibilities and in today's game, gets matched against a lot of big, skilled centers if he's on the 1st line. I'm not sure I want Frost handling McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, Crosby et al as a rookie. In a sheltered third line role, you can avoid a lot of those matchups. I'd also want Simmonds on his line, because that would discourage anyone taking a run at the kid with the "enforcer" on the ice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What I want?

Giroux-Couts-The Neck
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Skinner-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Weal
Weise

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Macdonald-Myers
Hagg

Elliot
Lyon

Skinner never has been and never will be a Center.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
What I want:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Lindblom-Vorobyov -Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Weiss Lehtera

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-AMac
Hagg-Myers
Folin

Elliot
Lyon

Leier, Weal and Neuvirth sent down
Frost back to Juniors
Gudas traded. Morin up when healthy.

What I expect from Hak:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR- Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Lethera-Simmonds
Lindblom-Laughton-Weal
Weise
Leier

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim -Gudas
Hagg-AMac
Folin

Elliott
Neuvirth

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
What I want. (lines 2/3) could be swapped. I'd consider them both 2nd lines.
Now we talk about speed.

Giroux -- Couturier -- Konecny
Van Reimsdyk -- Frost -- Simmonds
Lindblom -- Patrick -- Voracek
Laughton -- Vorobyev -- Raffl
(Weal/Lehtera)

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Sanheim -- Myers
Hagg -- Gudas
(Folin) (Macdonald)

Nuevirth 1A
Elliott 1B

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Unless Frost has an amazing camp, I don't see him making the team simply because of the fact that there will likely be another expansion draft in 2021. It could be in 2020 but Hextall may want to play it safe in case it isn't until 21

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Unless Frost has an amazing camp, I don't see him making the team simply because of the fact that there will likely be another expansion draft in 2021. It could be in 2020 but Hextall may want to play it safe in case it isn't until 21
I doubt the ED is weighing much if at all on his decision making. You cant hold people back over something that you don't even know when it is occurring. You deal with it when it happens, like the other franchises.

They are probably going to lose a defenseman anyway if they can only protect 3 again. See ya Myers or Sanheim.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If we do keep simmer, we will have Simmonds, JVR, and Patrick in similar roles. I think keep Patrick on the top unit or maybe JVR. Then build the PP2 around simmer and who ever else overloading the net. Make a completely different game plan than the top unit.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Here's something a little outside the box. Thoughts?

JVR -- Couturier -- Konecny
Giroux -- Patrick -- Voracek
Laughton -- Ratcliffe -- Simmonds
Lindblom -- Weal -- Raffl

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm thinking more in terms of rookie year, a scorer on the wing can adjust to the NHL much faster than a center who has more responsibilities and in today's game, gets matched against a lot of big, skilled centers if he's on the 1st line. I'm not sure I want Frost handling McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, Crosby et al as a rookie. In a sheltered third line role, you can avoid a lot of those matchups. I'd also want Simmonds on his line, because that would discourage anyone taking a run at the kid with the "enforcer" on the ice.

I like the idea of having Lindblom/Simmonds on his line, if he were to make the team.

Frost is still developing physically, but I think he has the skills to be an NHL 3rd line center right now. Giving him Lindblom and Simmonds serves multiple benefits. It gives Frost two linemates who are solid in the dirty areas who can aide in the physical aspect of the game that Frost might not be totally ready to handle yet. And as you said, not that it is crucially important, but there aren't too many better bodyguards in the league than Wayne.

Reactions: Igor and Rebels57

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Here's something a little outside the box. Thoughts?

Live video feed of KrazyKat and the box.

f6710147c7071b101914fcefcc9f7658.gif

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Looking at this thread and realizing that the era of mediocrity is coming to a rapid end. This year we should make the playoffs with a legit chance to win a round, but next year we start to put the rest of the key pieces together. Frost, Myers, Hart (especially Hart), maybe Allison should be on the team. The following year we are major players in the race for the Cup. 2020-2021 the lineup looks something like this:
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Allison
Ratcliffe/Farabee-Rubstov/Vorobyev-O'Brien

Ghost-Provy
Myers-Sanheim
Haag (or replacement vet/kid)-Morin

Hart
Sandstrom/ some other backup

Pretty sexy team there. Cup contenders for sure.

Reactions: wasup

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Basically a Cup Contender needs four things:

2 top lines
solid role players in the bottom six (i.e. PK, checkers, etc., allowing the top six forwards to focus on scoring)
4 solid defensemen who play 20+ minutes a night (so your 3rd pair only plays 15 minutes)
1 above average durable goalie (because he'll play every game in the playoffs)

Basically 11 players who range between above average to elite.

Flyers may have two top lines this year, depending on Patrick's progress
They are building bottom six depth, may not arrive until 2019-20
They are building a top 4 group of defensemen, may not arrive until 2019-20
Hart and Sandstrom are candidates for the playoff goalie spot.

Odds are, they will use their surplus forward depth to either trade with Seattle to protect a D-man or to trade for a D-man if they lose one in the ED.
Otherwise, they'll marinate waiting for the veteran contracts to expire (Giroux 2022, JVR 2023, Voracek 2024).

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Basically a Cup Contender needs four things:

2 top lines
solid role players in the bottom six (i.e. PK, checkers, etc., allowing the top six forwards to focus on scoring)
4 solid defensemen who play 20+ minutes a night (so your 3rd pair only plays 15 minutes)
1 above average durable goalie (because he'll play every game in the playoffs)

Basically 11 players who range between above average to elite.

Flyers may have two top lines this year, depending on Patrick's progress
They are building bottom six depth, may not arrive until 2019-20
They are building a top 4 group of defensemen, may not arrive until 2019-20
Hart and Sandstrom are candidates for the playoff goalie spot.

Odds are, they will use their surplus forward depth to either trade with Seattle to protect a D-man or to trade for a D-man if they lose one in the ED.
Otherwise, they'll marinate waiting for the veteran contracts to expire (Giroux 2022, JVR 2023, Voracek 2024).
So I guess you are agreeing with me. By 2020-21, We will have 2 top lines, 4 lines deep that can score, a strong top 4 D with a workable role playing bottom pair. Two quality young goalies, one projecting to high level.
Yes trade picks plus Haag, Laughton maybe something else to keep the core fwds and 5 d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad