Mid season grades

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mostly bad. Except for Mrazek and that teenager.

Hopefully Nyquist and Tatar start scoring goals again. That would be cool.

zwixrr

May 12, 2014
Michigan, USA
Forwards
Abdelkader - C+
While the new contract might seem a little bit of an over payment to most, I feel it's justified for what he brings to the table right now. But only barely earning his pay now, how will he produce as he is pushing 30 years old in a couple seasons.

Andersson - F

Datsyuk - B
When Datsyuk came back I was expecting a lot more than we have seen. Honestly shocked with his play thus far. Skates slow on most shifts, tries to do too much. Lets not forget that awful shootout move that every goalie knows he is going to use.

Glendening - D+
I thought he was an elite shutdown defender and faceoff man?

Helm - B-
I thought hard about giving helm even a higher grade than a B-. While he has stone hands and looks like a lost puppy on the second line he still gives it his all each shift. He is one of the hardest working and hardest skating players I've seen all season on the wings. He creates lots of turnovers from his speed, which he fails to finish on. :shakehead:shakehead

Jurco - D
He has failed to produce, or even show an effort of trying to produce with every opportunity given. His confidence might be low but that's no excuse for his performance this year.:rant:

Larkin - A-
What can I say other than wow. I knew Larkin had elite talent and speed but man this kid can just connect the dots in a way that makes you think hes 26 with a few seasons already under his belt at the NHL level. Once he can mold his game into something he is able to bring 82/82 games he will be one of the biggest threats the Red Wings have had in a while.

Miller - C+
Great PK'er, one of my favorite grinders. Works hard and doesn't really ever leave you blaming him for something.

Nyquist - C-/C
Can we say this guy is offically cold?

Pulkkinen - C+/B-
When he was playing he really used the opportunities given to him to create offense for himself and others. Holy Slapper anybody?

Richards - C+
Shootout hero.

Sheahan - B-
While the points haven't come his way I really like that Sheahan give up on trying to score. He will pull of a deke when he hasn't scored in 8 games in a way that makes you think hes putting up a 65+ point season. Great worker on the boards with some passes that make you want to rip your hair out.

Tatar - B-/B
While sauce has his big goal moments, he is usually just deking himself out. He is always trying to create offense though, which is why I give him a B-/B

Zetterberg - B+
Captain clutch himself. While he hasn't found the net as much as we probably all like he still has been helping Larkin have a fantastic rookie campaign. He really has been skating like it's 2008. He looks like he's having fun out there and his point total is nothing to be ashamed of.:yo::yo:

Defense
Dekeyser - B
Solid defender with room to grow. Nothing really to say here.

Ericsson - D+/C-
How the hell is anybody going to catch the bullets this guy is throwing for passes around the end boards? :laugh::laugh: Turnovers left and right. But he does put his big ol body to work and I love when he gets to wreck on people. Mobile wrecking ball, pylon, or defender? I really don't know.

Green - B+
His silky smooth skating and passing makes you wish we would have made a move 2 years ago to acquire Green.

Kindl - F
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Kronwall - B-
I really like Kronwall.....I really want him to be good.....but he's only getting worse.

Marchenko - B+/A-
The guy that never gets mentioned because he usually never does anything wrong is starting to become one of my favorite players on this team! Solid hockey IQ, smooth breakout passing, and a big old russian body to steam roll people with.

Smith - B-/B
I'm probably one of the biggest smith fans on these boards. While he makes tons of costly mistakes I'll still love him for the moments of elite offensive talent he shows us. Too much of something good is bad right? Smith is just trying to be conservative :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Goalies
Howard - C
Man I really like Howard, I always have. This season was looking really good for howie, and then the epic collapse of his playing happened and now I'd rather have Darren Elliot in goal.

Mrazek - A
Somebody give this kid a raise. .928SV% and 2.20GAA? Praise the hockey gods for they have given us an elite goalie. Not only does he play solid 90% of the time, he makes incredible saves that should have been goals almost every game. He sells tickets and that's why I'm wearing his jersey at this very moment.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Forwards

Goalies
Howard - C
Man I really like Howard, I always have. This season was looking really good for howie, and then the epic collapse of his playing happened and now I'd rather have Darren Elliot in goal.

Howard is a lot like Manny Legace, he's got a lot of talent, but he is such a headcase that he can lose all that talent at the drop of a hat.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Howard is a lot like Manny Legace, he's got a lot of talent, but he is such a headcase that he can lose all that talent at the drop of a hat.

Is that why his save percentage is historically one of the most consistent in the league?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Is that why his save percentage is historically one of the most consistent in the league?

You literally have no way to back that up. Like I looked up 5 goalies that randomly came off the top of my head and all of them have been danced around their career Sv% in a very consistent manner.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I liked manny better

Probably cause I started watching or didn't really care tho

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Larkin - A
Zetterberg - B
Datsyuk - A
Gator - A
Nyquist - C
Tatar - B
Ericsson -:cry:
Green - B
Kronwall - F
DD - C
Smith - C
Mrazek - A
Howard - D
Sheahan - C
Richards - C
Quincey - NA
Helm - C
Marchenko - B

Blashill - C
Hasn't moved the needle one way or the other.

Don't really care to grade the rest.

Actual Thought*

Larkin - A
Zetterberg - B
Datsyuk - B
Gator - A-
Nyquist - C-
Tatar - B
Ericsson -C+
Green - B
Kronwall -B-
DD - C
Smith - C
Mrazek - A
Howard -B
Sheahan - C+
Richards - B
Quincey - NA
Helm - B
Marchenko - B+
Kindl E
Jurco E
Glendenning C
Miller A
Andy B
Blashill - C-/D+

Larks has been a great revelation, Offence has been underwhelming at best, Blueline has been remarkably good considering health Quincey coming back should help. Goalies have been outstanding for the most part.
Coaching has been mediocre to bad.
None of the players have been better under Blashill than under Babcock. Many are playing worse.
System results in barely any offence.
IT is poorly distributed. Lines/pairings often poorly constructed.
Play is slow and sloppy compared to last year.
Matchup and personnel use has been abysmal as evidenced by the huge # of lost leads late in games.
PP is much, much less effective than last year. Momentum killer.

Overall the team is underachieving IMO.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Larkin - A+ --> As someone else said, I don't know that we could've possibly expected more out of this kid. If we are grading on what our expectations of each player is then he has an A+. If we are grading everyone on the same curve he gets a B+ out of me because he falls down so easy and isn't good enough in the dot to play center yet it seems.
---------------------------------------------
Zetterberg - B- I have been underwhelmed by his play for the last few years. While he is great defensively I have grown tired of him not driving the net and being the definition of a perimeter player. He has a good shot, I wish he used it instead of waiting for 2 defensive players to attach themselves to his back while he circles the zone until a turnover is forced.
--------------------------------------------
Datsyuk - C Underwhelmed by his play this year. If I am grading Datsyuk on what I expect out of him his overall play this season has not been that good. I expect him to be a declining once dominant center but he hasn't looked like that at all. He is looking his age these days and that is unfortunate. On the bright side, he has looked a lot better the last few games so I think he is rounding into game shape...I expect this grade to rise in the second half.
-------------------------------------------
Gator - B+ He has been streaky, but I like that he has remained physical, especially sticking up for his teammates. While his next contract is a bit more than I would have liked he is a key cog in this team now and in the future. He is performing similar to last year which I am happy to see since I thought last year would be the exception and not the rule with Gator
-----------------------------------------------
Nyquist - C-
He has games where I think he is the best player on our team, but there haven't been many this season. He doesn't look like he has gotten any stronger on his feet and aside from a great shot when he's open he's not very noticeable in the O-zone unless he is falling down near the boards. I'm hoping he heats up soon....I believe he will if the current line pairings stay together. Pairing him with Tatar is not a good idea because they don't seem to have much chemistry since to me they are the same player.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tatar - C+
Pretty much the same analysis I have for Nyquist except at least he drives the net. He needs to knock of the cute stick handling and just keep his game simple. Drive the net...shoot, repeat. I believe he will heat up as well.
------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson - C-
Continues to make mistakes that make me not understand why XO isn't up or even Sproul for that matter. If a veteran is going to make rookie mistakes, why not let the rookie make them at a less cap hit? He is a half way decent PK dmen at least
----------------------------------------------------------
Green - B+
I think Green has been our best OVERALL defensemen this year. I would like to see him on the scoresheet a little more but I think that is a function of our abysmal powerplay. He has been fine in the d-zone and I like his lateral movement and decisions in the O-zone
-------------------------------------------------
Kronwall - D+
He's been terrible by Kronwall standards. Bad in the D-zone, equally inept in the O-zone. I hate his slap pass on the powerplay so much....He doesn't have a great shot to be the point man on an umbrella type powerplay.
------------------------------------------------
DD - B
Steady Danny. He is what he is, defensively responsible, good skater, decent breakout pass. Nothing more, nothing less.
-----------------------------------------------------
Smith - B
Lately, Smith has cut down on the boneheaded plays that have plagued his career. He has also shown confidence to jump in the play and make things happen. He is also one of the few Wings that will stick up for teammates and isn't afraid of the physical game whatsoever. I like what I have seen out of him this season.
Mrazek - A+
He's been our best player this season as far as I am concerned. The difference between him and Howard I think is that Petr can "win" us a game. While Howard tries not to lose the game for us. It's a different mindset and I very rarely recall Howard stealing a game for us within the last few seasons. The cage should be Mrazek's moving forward.
Howard - D
Inconsistent. He does not make the big save when the team needs it and also tends to get beat clean more than he should. I want him traded ASAP if he has any value. His contract is garbage for what he is going to provide compared to Mrazek.
------------------------------------------------------------
Sheahan - C+
He has been better as of late. I like him with Larkin and Richards. I think he will be better in the 2nd half of the season and his numbers will show that. I don't see him ever being more than a 3C but I am OK with that. I wish he used his size more often and not to just shield the puck. I wish he hit and occasionally fought to add some "jam" to the team
-----------------------------------------------------------
Richards - C
I didn't like the signing at the time, and I am still not a big fan of it. I hope he changes my mind with the recent line combo of him with 71 and 15. I don't think he added anything more than what Weiss provided while in the lineup. A real headscratcher of a signing to be honest. At least he's been a savior in the shootout
--------------------------------------------------------------
Quincey - B+
This should maybe be a NA or NC, but I think the team has missed him more than I would like to admit. He has been one of our best defensive defensemen for the past 2 years now. Ugh, I feel dirty saying that but it is true.
----------------------------------------------
Helm - C+
Stonehands, try hard. I can't give him a harsh grade because he always gives 10000%
------------------------------------------------------
Marchenko - B+
Steady, boring player. Perfect for a defensive defensmen. Makes a good first pass and gets it out of the zone when needed. I believe he will be sent down once Quincey returns which is unfortunate because I think he deserves to stay in the lineup over Ericsson.
------------------------------
Joker- F
Turrible
---------------------------
Jurco - D+
I still think he deserves a shot in a skill role. I liked the former line of Jurco with Sheahan and Tatar. I want this guy to "get it" so bad because there is a lot of raw talent and size there but I don't think that is going to happen.
---------------------------
Kindl - F
He's garbage. Get him out of here.
---------------------------------
Pulu - B-
I think he should get more minutes than he was when he was healthy. Still needs to be a bit stronger on the puck but has produces when he was given a chance.
-----------------------------------

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Larkin - A-
What can I say other than wow. I knew Larkin had elite talent and speed but man this kid can just connect the dots in a way that makes you think hes 26 with a few seasons already under his belt at the NHL level. Once he can mold his game into something he is able to bring 82/82 games he will be one of the biggest threats the Red Wings have had in a while.

Larkin has exceeded literally 100% of everybody's expectations in the world. Giving Larkin an A- is like giving a 10 year-old an A- in a college-level course where he scores 99%.​

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Larkin - A
Zetterberg - B
Datsyuk - A
Gator - A
Nyquist - C
Tatar - B
Ericsson -:cry:
Green - B
Kronwall - F
DD - C
Smith - C
Mrazek - A
Howard - D
Sheahan - C
Richards - C
Quincey - NA
Helm - C
Marchenko - B

Blashill - C
Hasn't moved the needle one way or the other.

Don't really care to grade the rest.

As in...hasn't moved the needle beyond what Babcock did? If thats the case (and I completely agree), then he deserves a hell of a lot more than a C. You just said, in fewer words, that Blashill has performed comparably to the NHL's most respected and revered NHL coach.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
As in...hasn't moved the needle beyond what Babcock did? If thats the case (and I completely agree), then he deserves a hell of a lot more than a C. You just said, in fewer words, that Blashill has performed comparably to the NHL's most respected and revered NHL coach.

Ehh, i think Babcock's game plan was pretty vanilla. Obviously Babcock is an excellent coach, but the roster he had to work with didn't really leave much room for experimentation.

A great coach isn't going to get much more out of a mediocre roster over a bad coach. Not that i'm insinuating Blashill is a bad coach.

Also i think coaching isn't super important during the regular season. I think a playoff series would do a better job of gauging Blashill's performance.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It's hard to rate the team this year because statistically just about everyone not named Larkin and Abdelkader is underperforming. And the team has a negative goal ratio, so I'd say take +/- in moderation.

Our bottom six seriously have about a dozen goals combined if you remove Pulkkinen who has been injured for a long time. In half a season. That's E or F worthy, but individually some of them are Cs.

Larkin and Abdelkader are As, while Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Tatar, Nyquist, are B or B-. The goals are still there for the latter two. Sheahan, Richards and Helm grade C, production just isn't good enough to get more.

Defense is a combined C, most of them individually aswell. Marchenko a little better, Ericsson and Kindl a little worse.

Mrazek gets A-, Howard gets a B-.

I think this team is largely driven by its best forwards and goaltending so far this season.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
My scores are compared to what I expected of them coming into the season. A player who met but did not exceed my expectations would get a B

Howard: B
Started out really good, some bad games lately. Still an average NHL goalie performance at an average salary.

Mrazek: A
One of the best goalies in the league this season, if he keeps this up he'll get some Vezina votes.

Zetterberg: B-
Started out really good and putting up the points, but man is he looking slow out there. Still a good player but he's a so much worse compared to before he broke his back.

Datsyuk: C-
Seems to miss every chance that would be a goal at least half the time last year. Our possession game improved greatly when he came back but 16 points is not even close to what I expect of him. Has looked a bit better lately.

Larkin: A+
Hard to give him any other grade, I expected him to start in GR.

Abdelkader: B-
A bit fewer points than I expected after that last season, looks like he's starting to produce again.

Nyquist: B-
I REALLY don't like the line he's on right now, Nyquist and Tatar should never be on the same line. Great in some games, invisible in the majority.

Tatar: B-
See above.

Helm: B+
Always loved helm, just like Larkin he brings so much beyond points to the team thanks to his speed.

Sheahan: C+
A bit of a victim lately to the 3rd line abomination. And maybe I shouldn't have expected as many points as last season, but I was really hoping that he'd look better than this.

Richards: C
Looked good in the preseason, but hasn't done much right since.

Teemu Pulkkinen: B
Pretty much what I expected of him. Scoring at a decent clip considering how little icetime he's seeing, but kills puck possession for whatever line he's on.

Glendening: C+
Don't really care about point totals, hasn't nearly lived up to the expectations as a shutdown player that was set in last years playoff.

Jurco: B-
Pretty much invisible, very minor role on the team so hard to fault him too much for it.

Miller: B
Good on the PK as always.

Andersson: B
Don't get why people hate him so much around here. Unexciting spare forward to plug in when you got injuries and he always does a decent job.

Kronwall: C
We need him to be much better than this to be a real threat.

Green: A-
Exactly what I hoped he would be. Perfectly utilized with as easy zone starts as you could get. A bit more points would be nice, but I'm happy so far.

DeKeyser: B
Pretty much exactly what I expected of him, always a good second pairing defender.

Ericsson: B-
Much better than people around here gives him credit for. Has worked best when they put him with DK in a shutdown role.

Smith: B
Still so damn inconsistent. The body and skills of a very good NHL player, the mind of a chimp at best.

Marchenko: B+
Has proven himself as a solid NHL defensman.

Kindl: D
Has proven that he's not a NHL player

zwixrr

May 12, 2014
Michigan, USA
Larkin has exceeded literally 100% of everybody's expectations in the world. Giving Larkin an A- is like giving a 10 year-old an A- in a college-level course where he scores 99%.

This thread is grading players performance up to the midway point, not on performance vs expectations. An A+ in my eyes is a grade you give when somebody is playing 110% in each aspect of their game. I don't think Larkin has hit that level yet. He is performing beyond expectations yes, but to say he is a truley elite player right now is jumping the gun a little. His ability to protect himself and the puck is based on his speed. Take a look at a player like Zetterberg. He doesn't have the legs to skate around every player anymore but he might possibly be the best player in the league at protecting the puck with one hand on his stick. That's something I want larkin to pick up.

Actual Thought*

Ehh, i think Babcock's game plan was pretty vanilla. Obviously Babcock is an excellent coach, but the roster he had to work with didn't really leave much room for experimentation.

A great coach isn't going to get much more out of a mediocre roster over a bad coach. Not that i'm insinuating Blashill is a bad coach.

Also i think coaching isn't super important during the regular season. I think a playoff series would do a better job of gauging Blashill's performance.

Coaching isn't important in 82 games of the regular season? Are you suggesting that the players just randomly do whatever they want in the regular season but somehow need direction in the playoffs? I am curious what you think the head coach's job is?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This thread is grading players performance up to the midway point, not on performance vs expectations. An A+ in my eyes is a grade you give when somebody is playing 110% in each aspect of their game. I don't think Larkin has hit that level yet. He is performing beyond expectations yes, but to say he is a truley elite player right now is jumping the gun a little. His ability to protect himself and the puck is based on his speed. Take a look at a player like Zetterberg. He doesn't have the legs to skate around every player anymore but he might possibly be the best player in the league at protecting the puck with one hand on his stick. That's something I want larkin to pick up.

But he can't do that yet because he's 19. It's not anything he can control.

He is playing 110% in everything he can control. Absolutely an A+. More like an A +++

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Coaching isn't important in 82 games of the regular season? Are you suggesting that the players just randomly do whatever they want in the regular season but somehow need direction in the playoffs? I am curious what you think the head coach's job is?

You play a different team almost every other day. There isn't much game planning that can take place in such a short amount of time. Playoffs allow the coaching staff to focus on one team and have 82 games worth of data to dissect.

Although it doesn't matter if the coach doesn't have the talent to win. Good coach or bad coach, they will lose.

Actual Thought*

You play a different team almost every other day. There isn't much game planning that can take place in such a short amount of time. Playoffs allow the coaching staff to focus on one team and have 82 games worth of data to dissect.

Although it doesn't matter if the coach doesn't have the talent to win. Good coach or bad coach, they will lose.

Teams use video to prepare. The staff combs video and create reports on team tendencies, system, personnel, injuries, etc.. Meetings are held to go over the data with players. Coaches use data to adjust systems, match ups, etc...
During games coaches should be able to observe what teams are doing and adjust accordingly whether it is positioning or personnel or both. Coaching absolutely matters and plays a major role in team success both playoffs and the regular season.
Coaches also need to be manipulators of human nature in order to get players to act as a unit and buy in to a philosophy.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The only player that has exceeded my expectations is Larkin. No one thought he'd be this good this fast.

Most of the team is where I thought they'd be. Andersson and Kindl have been useless, but I expected no more, so I can't say I'm disappointed. I thought Mrazek would have a good year so I'm not surprised there either.

Then there's the players that have disappointed. Those players are: Datsyuk, Kronwall, Green, Nyquist, Tatar, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Richards, Helm. I thought we'd get more from all these individuals. We haven't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad