Mid season grades

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Larkin = A Can't ask for anything more than what he has done for the team. If he's not on the team, this year, we are down with Toronto in the standings.
Zetterberg = B I'm a little critical of our "stars" because I expect them to be our best players night in and night out. I am less critical of Zetterberg because he has been a steady offensive player, but a much more improved defensive player this year.
Datsyuk = C- Non-existent offensively, so far, but his defense has been really good over the last 10-15 games. Father Time has not treated him kindly and he has lost at least a step, offensively, if not 2.
Nyquist = C+ His effort is there night in and night out, and I think the line-swapping has caused him issues. He is a player that requires a great deal of consistency, in terms of linemates, because he tends to fit in where the other 2 forwards aren't.
Tatar = B Always been a streaky player, so I don't care as much about his offensive production drops as most. He has been giving solid defensive efforts all season long and that is more important for him, for the long run.
Ericsson = C- His foot speed and laziness have been on display far too often, this year, for my liking. For being only 31, you would have thought he was closer to 40, at times.
Green = B Our best 2-way defenceman, night in and night out, this year. Waiting for him to get unleashed offensively, but we continue to load up left-hand shots on our left side of the PP for God knows what reason.
Kronwall = C- Too inconsistent for my liking. Most nights, he looks like he should be a 2nd or 3rd pair d-man, and then he shows up with all kinds of speed, on some nights, like he did against Edmonton in the OT.
DD = C+ Seems to have lost something moving from Babcock to Blashill. Can't quite put my finger on it. He's great some nights, and utterly forgettable on others.
Smith = C Has taken WAY too long to get to where he should have been 3 years ago. So much so that I think his time is better served elsewhere. He'll be 27 in a couple of weeks. By the time he develops fully in our system, he'll be retired.
Mrazek = A Our best player, period. Has done everything asked of him and come up big at times when other goalies wouldn't have.
Howard = C Has done well considering what has gone on, since last year, but also not a number one goaltender. He parlayed a good year into an overpaying contract. I expect him to be traded over the summer, because Mrazek's contract is up.
Sheahan = C+ Sheahan has been more good than bad, this year, which is saying a lot considering how many different line combinations he has had to center.
Richards = B Easily one of the best offseason "risks" we have picked up in some time. He has played amazing for us.
Quincey = Too small a sample to give a grade.
Helm = C- Not sure who has been more inconsistent, this year. Helm or Nyquist.
Marchenko = A- The biggest "surprise" for me this year, which is really no surprise. He comes as advertised and has even shown some offensive flourish in the past 5-10 games that has surprised me.
Kindl = F Our worst defenceman
Jurco = F Our worst forward
Glendenning = B Every team needs a Glendenning. Great as defensive zone faceoffs, a tireless forchecker/pk guy who can give you added offense from time to time. Easily shows why he was captain of his UMich team.
Miller = A Another guy that every team needs. Amazing PK'er and grinder. You can count on his minutes, every night.
Andy = D+ Easily the guy who gets nothing out of his game for the effort he puts in. Pretty sure his 15 minutes of fame were up several seasons ago. Has not been the same player since Sheahan took his spot, 2-3 years ago.
Blashill = C Didn't manage the goaltender situation well, at the beginning of the year, which resulted in needless losses, and he cobbles the lines a bit much for my liking. But when the players don't give you enough to keep lines together, on a nightly basis, it's hard to fault his thinking. And as long as we are #1 in the league in 1-goal games, he is doing his job just fine. A few rookie mistakes, but otherwise has done a solid coaching job. Another year or so under his belt will give him the confidence to deal with the roster, at the NHL level.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The only player that has exceeded my expectations is Larkin. No one thought he'd be this good this fast.

Most of the team is where I thought they'd be. Andersson and Kindl have been useless, but I expected no more, so I can't say I'm disappointed. I thought Mrazek would have a good year so I'm not surprised there either.

Then there's the players that have disappointed. Those players are: Datsyuk, Kronwall, Green, Nyquist, Tatar, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Richards, Helm. I thought we'd get more from all these individuals. We haven't.

Mrazek to me is third in the Vezina race behind Holtby and Luongo so I think he has definitely exceeded expectations.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Mrazek to me is third in the Vezina race behind Holtby and Luongo so I think he has definitely exceeded expectations.

I was being subjective. I thought he'd be good. I don't think he's currently 3rd in the Vezina voting if the trophy was voted on today. He's been splitting time with Howard and we don't traditionally get consideration at that award.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
DD has as many goals as kronwall and green if not more without playing any PP. He is our best Dman.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I was being subjective. I thought he'd be good. I don't think he's currently 3rd in the Vezina voting if the trophy was voted on today. He's been splitting time with Howard and we don't traditionally get consideration at that award.

Well he's played 10 more games than Howard and his 928sv% is hard to ignore.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
For the team as a whole, here are some stats from r/hockey (Reddit) :

DETROIT RED WINGS

Fewest major penalties (3)
Most bench penalties (9)
Fewest blocked shots (477)
Highest 5 on 5 save percentage (.939%)

Most bench penalties seems about right :laugh:

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
How anyone can give Larkin anything less than an A+ is mind boggling.

For me, Nyquist and Tatar (funny how they always get lumped together) are the biggest disappointments. At 26 and 25, you can't call them the young guys or the future anymore. The time is now. It isn't so much the stats, but how many games where you don't notice them out there. I think expecting them to be the heir apparents to Datsyuk and Zetterberg was a little unrealistic, but I thought they'd be better than they are. Everyone else not named Larkin has been subpar.

Knew that Kronwall and Ericsson are on the downside of their careers, but the rapid descent has been somewhat alarming. I thought Mike Green would contribute more offensively and improve the PP. Hasn't happened. The rest of the defense is pretty much what we thought they would be. Same with Jimmy Howard. He is what he is. Mrazek has continued with the spectacular plays while significantly reducing his mistakes due to overagressiveness.

It's scary to think where this team would be without Larkin and Mrazek.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Exceeds expectations: Larkin, Mrazek, Marchenko

Below expectations: Nyquist, Smith, Kindl, Howard. Sheahan started poorly but looks like he is turning it around.

Everybody else is right as expected. Andy, Jurco, and Ericsson predictably suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad