Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The way that table looks, and I'm assuming it's not from Microsoft but some journalist, the series S should be more than 100 dollars cheaper then the X. And the question above is interesting: what are Series X Exclusives and Next Gen Support?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The way that table looks, and I'm assuming it's not from Microsoft but some journalist, the series S should be more than 100 dollars cheaper then the X. And the question above is interesting: what are Series X Exclusives and Next Gen Support?
It better be way more than $100 cheaper, the rumored specs have the GPU being around 1/3rd the power

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

What does it mean by Xbox Series X Exclusives vs Next-Gen Support?

This is just me speculating here, but I'm guessing it means that the Series S will play next gen games unless the developer decides to make one that is Series X only.

Again, that's just my own take on that wording.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This is just me speculating here, but I'm guessing it means that the Series S will play next gen games unless the developer decides to make one that is Series X only.

Again, that's just my own take on that wording.
That would make sense actually. If that were the case, one has to think that the exclusive Series X games would look a lot better since they don't have to be made with the Series S in mind. I would think those would be too far and between though. Wonder if the Series S is going to bottleneck devs when it comes to making the best product possible.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That would make sense actually. If that were the case, one has to think that the exclusive Series X games would look a lot better since they don't have to be made with the Series S in mind. I would think those would be too far and between though. Wonder if the Series S is going to bottleneck devs when it comes to making the best product possible.

Original Xbox One hasn't limited games on One X. You're overthinking this.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Original Xbox One hasn't limited games on One X. You're overthinking this.

Thing is, it's pretty hard to tell if one console is limiting other consoles or platforms unless someone comes out and explicitly says it, and even then....well, that can be disputed.

That said, Jussi's example of Xbox One vs Xbox One X is still a good one to think of. The One X is a fantastic piece of hardware that runs very well despite some limitations of its predecessor that shares a gaming platform.

I will always go back to my example of Monster Hunter World - ran like absolute garbage on the One, but amazingly on the One X (until you tried to do multiplayer - what a shit show that was :laugh:).

Fortunately, in the case of the Series X vs S, if the X is targeting 4K60....well that leaves a lot of room for the S to render the same thing but at a lower resolution (targeting 1440p, 1080p as a good option).

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Thing is, it's pretty hard to tell if one console is limiting other consoles or platforms unless someone comes out and explicitly says it, and even then....well, that can be disputed.

That said, Jussi's example of Xbox One vs Xbox One X is still a good one to think of. The One X is a fantastic piece of hardware that runs very well despite some limitations of its predecessor that shares a gaming platform.

I will always go back to my example of Monster Hunter World - ran like absolute garbage on the One, but amazingly on the One X (until you tried to do multiplayer - what a shit show that was :laugh:).

Fortunately, in the case of the Series X vs S, if the X is targeting 4K60....well that leaves a lot of room for the S to render the same thing but at a lower resolution (targeting 1440p, 1080p as a good option).
I assume the same can be predicted with the Series X and pc? No limitations even with the wide variety hardware.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I assume the same can be predicted with the Series X and pc? No limitations even with the wide variety hardware.

Well once you cross over into PC world you go from two configurations to a whole lotta options, which results in a higher difficulty when it comes to optimization. It's one of the reasons that PC ports tend to be a mixed bag (well, that and the fact that devs/publishers keep farming the ports out to random companies and giving them like friggin' two weeks to do it).

The versatility of the DIY PC market is both a strength and a weakness.

That said, next gen consoles being closer in spec to your average gaming PC makes things better. I've said it before, but I will be interested to see how console games designed to use ultra fast SSD storage will handle PCs that use slower storage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

What does it mean by Xbox Series X Exclusives vs Next-Gen Support?

These specs - like the PS5 - don't mean shit because games are going to be even bigger, more complex now, and take full advantage of the new hardware. Because of that, I suggest the games aren't going to run faster even if the fanboys are going to whine that "their" system is better.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
These specs - like the PS5 - don't mean shit because games are going to be even bigger, more complex now, and take full advantage of the new hardware. Because of that, I suggest the games aren't going to run faster even if the fanboys are going to whine that "their" system is better.

I'm not so sure. If the graphics cards are really as good as Sony and Xbox seem to be saying then I can see the games filling up hard drives faster but running better and faster once you get them installed. I don't think either console is particularly great or anything to gloat about when it comes to specs but I think it's very possible we'll see real improvements in graphics and performance (for both consoles).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think in terms of fps, there is definitely going to be more 30fps games than people think, but overall I think these consoles are still far more equipped to hit higher framerates than previous consoles.

The current gen CPUs were just so weak, odds are the CPU in your phone's have more power than the jaguar cpus in current gen consoles

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think in terms of fps, there is definitely going to be more 30fps games than people think, but overall I think these consoles are still far more equipped to hit higher framerates than previous consoles.

The current gen CPUs were just so weak, odds are the CPU in your phone's have more power than the jaguar cpus in current gen consoles

I do hope you are wrong about the 30 FPS thing, but I could see it.

If a game has to run 4K30, I'd appreciate the option to run 1080p60 personally....

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I can't remember the last time I played a 30fps game on my Current 1X. Current games are all pretty high now or have been updated. I think COD may be the worst out of anything I play as it can bounce between 45-60 at times. If you go for some older games, sure.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I can't remember the last time I played a 30fps game on my Current 1X. Current games are all pretty high now or have been updated. I think COD may be the worst out of anything I play as it can bounce between 45-60 at times. If you go for some older games, sure.
Well, the first thing in response to that would be, those games are made for base consoles, not the One X. And then theres still a number of 30 fps games.

There's a list of 30 fps games and basically it varies heavily

List of Xbox One X enhanced games - Wikipedia

Basically any semi demanding open world game (far cry, RDR, assassin's Creed) just focuses on resolution and leaves it at 30. Also a lot of the "60 fps" games in reality are 40-50 fps games (kingdom hearts, ffxv, etc). Which may be as good as 60 fps to some people of course everyone's different.

While there is a decent number of games that do approach 4k60 (I think Wolfenstein 2 comes close though has a dynamic resolution) most lower the resolution to hit 60.

Which ultimately, isn't that relevant to the point that developers will push the consoles to the limit to get as much as they can out of it, and may release some 30 fps games.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I might hold off on an immediate purchase unless there's a reason to (Forza Horizon 5 gets a release date) or something else now that Halo is delayed. Man, I love Forza Horizon 4. I'm the furthest thing from a car or racing guy and I have spent way too much time on Forza Horizon 4.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I might hold off on an immediate purchase unless there's a reason to (Forza Horizon 5 gets a release date) or something else now that Halo is delayed. Man, I love Forza Horizon 4. I'm the furthest thing from a car or racing guy and I have spent way too much time on Forza Horizon 4.
Love me some Forza Horizon .. great game, great soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad