OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2012
That reminds me I was driving right next to Verlander down Maple Rd. in Birmingham the other day. Couldn't get his attention though.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
He spotted the fastball well on the first two hitters but he escaped against Butler because he was starting to elevated it a bit.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Valverde looks exactly the same, but with a different windup. He's going to get lit up again. 2 of the hit balls went to warning track :laugh:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Valverde looks exactly the same, but with a different windup. He's going to get lit up again. 2 of the hit balls went to warning track :laugh:

Tigers with Valverde is like a guy who picks up a weird hitchhiker, finds out later it was a wanted serial killer, sees the same guy at the side of the road again a few months later and invites him in again. "Hey whaddoyaknow I survived the first time, so what could go wrong"

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Anyone else downright giddy to have Lennay Kekua phone in to announce the selection of Manti Teo in the NFL draft tonight??? Can't wait!!! :D

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Hey, at least the Lions aren't as bad as the Dolphins. They overpaid for a bunch of mediocre free agents and then traded up to take the wrong guy. At least the Lions took the wrong guy with their own pick.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
As I said in the NFL forum, you don't take a guard with the #5 pick. Regardless of need.

Ansah is a boom or bust but I understand it and i'm fine with it. DE are the key to this entire defense and despite what you want to say about the OL, it was just as big of a need.

Now, I would have liked to trade down. But that's far from a guarantee either.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hey, at least the Lions aren't as bad as the Dolphins. They overpaid for a bunch of mediocre free agents and then traded up to take the wrong guy. At least the Lions took the wrong guy with their own pick.

Who was the right guy at that pick?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
It's common knowledge that the Lions love reaching in the draft for guys with "character issues"... looking forward to Mayhew taking the Honey Badger in the 2nd round. That guy was destined to be a Lion (or Raider).

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
As I said in the NFL forum, you don't take a guard with the #5 pick. Regardless of need.

Ansah is a boom or bust but I understand it and i'm fine with it. DE are the key to this entire defense and despite what you want to say about the OL, it was just as big of a need.

Now, I would have liked to trade down. But that's far from a guarantee either.

Now that they've fixed the rookie pay scale, I think it's fine to take a guard with the 5th pick. I don't think they should have, but if there is a guard that is that good, go ahead and take him.

Who was the right guy at that pick?

Someone that's played more than 9 games of football in his entire life. The Lions don't exactly have a history of taking raw athletes and molding them into elite football players.

It's common knowledge that the Lions love reaching in the draft for guys with "character issues"... looking forward to Mayhew taking the Honey Badger in the 2nd round. That guy was destined to be a Lion (or Raider).

Well, that's one bright side to Ansah - I don't think he has any character red flags. Yet. One joyride with Fat Urkel and the Gang and who knows...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Someone that's played more than 9 games of football in his entire life. The Lions don't exactly have a history of taking raw athletes and molding them into elite football players.

Well, that's one bright side to Ansah - I don't think he has any character red flags. Yet. One joyride with Fat Urkel and the Gang and who knows...

Hes played football for all of 2 years and has turned himself into that high of a pick. Guys a complete freak athletically and a really good run stopper which Detroit really needs with the measurables to become elite off the edge.

Washburn is known to be great at coaching up the D line too. I just dont really see anyone else who is worth that pick anymore. Theres a couple good guards but you can land pro bowl guards in the 3rd round, youre not gonna find someone 6'5 270lbs that can run a 4.6 40 in the second round

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Hes played football for all of 2 years and has turned himself into that high of a pick. Guys a complete freak athletically and a really good run stopper which Detroit really needs with the measurables to become elite off the edge.

Washburn is known to be great at coaching up the D line too. I just dont really see anyone else who is worth that pick anymore. Theres a couple good guards but you can land pro bowl guards in the 3rd round, youre not gonna find someone 6'5 270lbs that can run a 4.6 40 in the second round

He's got the flashy combine numbers but there are plenty of athletic guys who don't put it together on Sundays. Seems like there's a decent bust potential with this guy (not that many guys are locks to succeed). Schwartz probably can't survive another dismal season so he better hope that Ansah becomes an impact guy REALLY quickly.

Not really sold on your boy Washburn as a coach, either- he had decent talent in Philly but seemed to cause problems on the coaching staff and not get much out of his players. Oh, and the wide 9 absolutely sucks. I know he worked with Schwartz in Tennessee, but it seems like Detroit picked up another loose cannon on the sidelines on a team that already often lacks composure on the field (to put it mildly). Should be fun to watch!

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlamIk99.htm

The Lions have made that pick in the 2nd round and bombed with it. Now it's the 5th pick. They're different players obviously but I don't trust them to develop him properly.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlamIk99.htm

The Lions have made that pick in the 2nd round and bombed with it. Now it's the 5th pick. They're different players obviously but I don't trust them to develop him properly.

The measureables between the 2 of them arent really all that close at all. I'm not saying he'll be amazing but if he pans out they might have the best player in the draft

In 2 years the guy became a top 5 pick and best at his position in the NFL draft, give him some time with Washburn and I'm sure he'll be fine. The focus on mobile QBs now to give the lions a guy who can chase them down in space

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Now that they've fixed the rookie pay scale, I think it's fine to take a guard with the 5th pick. I don't think they should have, but if there is a guard that is that good, go ahead and take him.

Rookie scale doesn't play in to taking a guard that high. But if you do, that guy better be a HOF multiple pro-bowler.

Solid starting guards can be found anywhere. Larry Warford still being around is an example of that.

Either him or the tackle for FSU are two guys Detroit should target tomorrow in the second.

Outside of trading down, I think they made the right move.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rookie scale doesn't play in to taking a guard that high. But if you do, that guy better be a HOF multiple pro-bowler.

Solid starting guards can be found anywhere. Larry Warford still being around is an example of that.

Either him or the tackle for FSU are two guys Detroit should target tomorrow in the second.

Outside of trading down, I think they made the right move.

Warford is who I'm hoping for in the second round. Outside trading down the Lions didnt really have a good pick available. The guards aren't wroth 5th overall and they tried to trade down but couldnt. Ansah was projected to go around that spot and is also at a huge position of need.

He definitely has high bust potential but with the first 4 picks going the absolute worst way they could have for Detroit who would all the people who dont like the pick rather have?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I liked that pick. I know he's only played two years worth, but imagine him with his size and athletic ability with all those raw tools in 2-3 years. He could be an absolute stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad