OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.

I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I guarantee you, you won't have to overpay to get Ryan Madson. Anyone who spends even a single year due to Tommy John Surgery will not get paid a huge amount of money or more than 2 years. Madson will get a 1yr, $1m major league deal tops. Teams simply don't risk years or money on pitchers coming back from injuries.

If that's all it takes, bring him to camp. Rather take a flier on Madson than lean on Putkonen.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.

Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.

KRod signed for less than $3M. Seriously wondering what Dombrowski is thinking about this bullpen.

I'd rather have him than the Hutt, that's for sure. Especially for the same money...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Rodney wouldn't have wanted to come here to work the 7th and occasionally the 8th, even for the same money. I don't have a problem leaving him alone. Madson is worth a flier, as are Bailey, Hanrahan, etc. They were talking about re-signing Dotel possibly, if he doesn't retire. If you're going to sign a risky guy, better those guys than Dotel.

Or they could sign them all, that would be even better. You never know how the bullpen is going to shake out and bullpen arms are extremely volatile from year to year. The best way to attack the problem is with volume, and these guys are all going to sign minor league deals or cheap major league deals with some incentives.

Considering how the pen has been a problem, I'm not sure why they don't go after some of these guys. They've already invested something like $160 million into next season's team, blow another $5-10 million on more quality bullpen options for a year. If the team crashes and burns for $160m, it won't make a whole lot of difference if they spent $170m.

Instead, we're hoping Joba resurrects himself. We're hoping Rondon lives up to his promise. We're hoping that kid we got from Washington comes through. We're hoping Putkonen doesn't suck. We're hoping Alburquerque doesn't blow out his elbow again. We're hoping Crosby transitions well to the pen. Right now we have Joe Nathan and a whole lotta hope.

Sep 19, 2008
@WojYahooNBA 11:57 AM
The Detroit Pistons have fired coach Mo Cheeks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Oct 18, 2006
How the heck does Joe Dumars still have a job?! Truly staggering.

He just sent his EIGHTH coach packing today. Yet he survives time after time.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
So... Dumars has fired eight coaches in 14 seasons as GM. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Not only that, but the players found out about Cheeks yesterday via Twitter. What a horribly run organization.

At some point you have to start looking at the GM, and I think that time was a while ago for the Pistons.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Baseball junkies..... who has used/has input on MLB.TV? I've always had Extra Innings, but the price these days is just outrageous. Looks like MLB.TV is only about half the price. I'm sure there is a slight drop in picture quality, but any other drawbacks relative to Extra Innings? Is there any real reason to keep Extra Innings?

EDIT: Oh, is there an on-demand feature? Can I watch games from the beginning that have already started? Or watch them after they have completed altogether?

I think MLB.TV is basically the same thing as Extra Innings. You can't watch your local teams, but you can watch any game at any time on any of the two broadcasts, except for the draconian blackouts on Saturdays. You can watch any game played since 2009 as well, IINM.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I used MLB.TV a few years back. The best thing going for it is (or used to be, anyway) that they don't impose a limit on concurrent sign-ons, so you could theoretically share with several people. They might have fixed that since, though.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'd love to watch more baseball than what's on cable but with the Tigers basically playing every day and all their games are on TV...I'm satisfied with extra games we get on ESPN, FOX and TBS. I can't get MLBN through my provider...Baseball Tonight is back to being my preferred highlight show.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
To be fair for Joe D, he did have like 7 straight ECF and about half the hiring and firings have been directly done by the owner.

I can't see Joe surviving if they miss the playoffs again. The indicator that Joe is in trouble is that they're just using a former assistant as the interim. He's not going to get to hire the next coach this summer unless the make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad