OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nope. We don't have anyone better. Does it matter anyways? It's like complaining that Kirk Maltby shouldn't be playing on the '09 Red Wings. They're averaging close to 6 runs per game right now, and Kelly was batting in the 9 hole anyways, so he would see the least at bats in a game and have the least amount of high leverage situations.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal right now. A bigger deal is Martinez and Avila rounding into form. I'm not real worried about Martinez, figure he has a lot of rust to work off, but he'll get there. I don't like that they apparently asked Avila to hit more homers. I think it was at SB Nation that I read that Avila flyball rate is now way up from his career norm, and I wonder if we're just going to see more long fly outs rather than sharply hit singles and doubles.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Why play 3 outfielders? Let's just shade Hunter and Jackson in the power alleys and stick an extra infielder behind second base as a rover, softball-style. :D

So thrilled at how well Hunter has fit in with this team...he and Jackson are tremendous together. All you need is any of the next 3 guys to hit well each night and get solid pitching and you're almost a sure thing to take 2 of every 3 game series.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why play 3 outfielders? Let's just shade Hunter and Jackson in the power alleys and stick an extra infielder behind second base as a rover, softball-style. :D

So thrilled at how well Hunter has fit in with this team...he and Jackson are tremendous together. All you need is any of the next 3 guys to hit well each night and get solid pitching and you're almost a sure thing to take 2 of every 3 game series.

Hunter's been a godsend for us. What's scary is that Miggy's always been an RBI machine, and now he has two guys routinely getting on base (three if you count Infante in the nine spot). If Hunter and Jackson can get on-base, Miggy (and Biggy) could have a huge year.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Yeah, it's not a huge deal right now. A bigger deal is Martinez and Avila rounding into form. I'm not real worried about Martinez, figure he has a lot of rust to work off, but he'll get there. I don't like that they apparently asked Avila to hit more homers. I think it was at SB Nation that I read that Avila flyball rate is now way up from his career norm, and I wonder if we're just going to see more long fly outs rather than sharply hit singles and doubles.

Martinez has been making a lot of contact with the ball. Avila is what makes me nervous. He really needs to get it going. He takes a way too cautious approach at the plate, which shows in his team leading 15 Ks. He needs to make more contact with the ball.

Aug 6, 2012
Martinez has been making a lot of contact with the ball. Avila is what makes me nervous. He really needs to get it going. He takes a way too cautious approach at the plate, which shows in his team leading 15 Ks. He needs to make more contact with the ball.

He's got such a long swing its not surprising. He's fine at the 7 or 8 spot though.

I didn't like last night's lineup with Kelly (or whoever would be) batting 9th. I'd rather Infante always bat 9th, even if that meant 4 straight right-handed batters.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
He's got such a long swing its not surprising. He's fine at the 7 or 8 spot though.

I didn't like last night's lineup with Kelly (or whoever would be) batting 9th. I'd rather Infante always bat 9th, even if that meant 4 straight right-handed batters.

I never like any lineup with Kelly in it. Ever.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Extra innings in baseball put me to sleep. They should follow in suit of the NHL and add a shootout style gimmick to end games.

Rapid fire home run derby? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
That'd be unfair for a team like the Tigers who have Miggy and Prince.

Tigers are 23rd in the AL in homers. It's still early and some of that is CoPa, but they also don't have a lot of big power guys after you're done with Miggy and Biggy. A lot of 10-15 HR guys in Jackson, Hunter, VMart, Dirks, Avila, Peralta, and Infante.

If you can only bat the big guys once, I'd bet the Tigers would lose more HR Derbies than they'd win.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Tigers just got Joyced on a force out at 2nd. Should have had runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs in the 9th. Infante beat the throw by 3 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad