Michel Therrien respect thread

• Thread starter Capitaine Subban*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Zero goals in the last 9 games. One in the last 10 playing 1st line C.

Why set the kid up for failure. Failure destroys confidence and the future as well. Ask Latendresse.

1 goal in 13 games on W before being moved to C. Guess he's already ruined. Extend DD 5 more years.

Funny that you keep remembering that and forgetting the context.

Have a great evening.:)

Kinda ironic since leaving out context is a big part of your arsenal. ;)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not an excuse; it's a reasonable reply. If you choose to act like that, play these stupid mind games... Oh frick, I remember you, the one that reported me about a month ago and got me an infraction when you knew I was just playing around. What is your problem? Are you just here to annoy people? Just leave me alone already. No respect for people like you at all.

actually it would be if you were really applying the "balance rule" you want others to abide by, but truth is, all you do is defend and find reasons for MT moves that dont work.

going around being on one side, the same side, of an argument 100% of the time and pretend it's to even things out... we both know it's an excuse. You can drop the act.

Wise people know when they're going too far, you got infracted, get over it kiddo.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Apparently I can't post in MT threads either because I get too fired up.

Nynja*

I was out drinking, am I drunk or did the habs give Tokarski some goal support? Did Therrien's lines actually produce?!?

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
I don't want to be one of those people who only come out of the woodwork when the game goes exactly in a way that supports their argument and who otherwise vanish.

Putting Galchenyuk back at wing is the wrong move and one win doesn't change that.

Then you're letting your personnal bias of how you want others to percieve you affect your judgement of Therrien's performance as it is this forum's national passtime to gank up on the coach. Recognize that, while you may have some issues with his player management, Therrien is a winning coach who took over a losing team and who always manages to do line changes that work. He's also the guy who brought us the furthest in the playoffs in a damn while.

How hard can it be to be objective?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Then you're letting your personnal bias of how you want others to percieve you affect your judgement of Therrien's performance as it is this forum's national passtime to gank up on the coach. Recognize that, while you may have some issues with his player management, Therrien is a winning coach who took over a losing team and who always manages to do line changes that work. He's also the guy who brought us the furthest in the playoffs in a damn while.

always as in... always ? really ?

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008

Nope. This is you judging someone who you know nothing about. Therrien is getting the results and I'm not disputing that but his allergic reaction to seeing Galchenyuk at centre is what I take issue with. People may see one game and see all of Therrien's moves work and think this guy is brilliant, but I am more concerned about Galchenyuk's long term development and how we fair in the playoffs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Nope. This is you judging someone who you know nothing about. Therrien is getting the results and I'm not disputing that but his allergic reaction to seeing Galchenyuk at centre is what I take issue with. People may see one game and see all of Therrien's moves work and think this guy is brilliant, but I am more concerned about Galchenyuk's long term development and how we fair in the playoffs.

From an authority like Vincent Damphousse, who was himself a superior LW/C, Galchenyuk's development is more dependent on ice time than position. I agree with that. Better to be a top-6 LW than a 3rd line or 4th line C. Same thing happened to Guy Lafleur.

Desharnais is playing well enough to be a middle-6 center right now. Since we are short on dangerous wingers, playing AG27 on the wing helps the team at times. No big deal.

Nothing stops Galchenyuk from being creative with the puck from the LW position. And he will be creative more often playing 15 minutes than 12.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
From an authority like Vincent Damphousse, who was himself a superior LW/C, Galchenyuk's development is more dependent on ice time than position. I agree with that. Better to be a top-6 LW than a 3rd line or 4th line C. Same thing happened to Guy Lafleur.

Desharnais is playing well enough to be a middle-6 center right now. Since we are short on dangerous wingers, playing AG27 on the wing helps the team at times. No big deal.

Nothing stops Galchenyuk from being creative with the puck from the LW position. And he will be creative more often playing 15 minutes than 12.

Guess Therrien didn't get that memo
Galchenyuk played less than 14 minutes last night.....Less than Eller and Sekac

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Don't worry Therrien will pull some crazy trades because everyone knows the coach makes the trades. Oh wait maybe Therrien will just tell the guys to "be bigger".

I guess we don't have 2 centers bigger than 6'1" on this team and both of them are outproducing Desharnais at 5-on-5.....i guess it's Bergevin fault if we are trying to put square pegs in round holes.

I've seen this coming a miles away.

Funny thing is: Therrien said that he had a conversation with Galchenyuk this moring abut him being more comfortable on the wing........but what's funny, is that Therrien made him play wing in a middle of a game prior to that conversation.

But i guess it was Galchy choices.
DD is happy again, that's the most important thing

Pricef*

Well said. Many here fail to understand the term balanced. Look MT certainly isn't perfect but to call him an idiot as some here do is ridiculous.

Pricef*

Did you see the report on Galchenyuk and why he is not playing centre. I guess MB, MT and the player haven't discussed what's good for his development. I am just more and more grateful everyday that my habs are not run by posters here, poor ******** would be in the running for McDavid....

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008

Galchenyuk had less ice time at winger last night than at least the past five games at centre. (I didn't feel like checking more than that). This move to winger is not for Galchenyuk's benefit.

Galchenyuk is a potential star. His career trajectory is supposed to go something like the following:

- Galchenyuk always plays centre
- He is just ok at first as he goes though his initial NHL adjustment period
- He plays so much as a no 2 or 3 centre that he starts to get really really good at it
- He then gets moved to no 1 centre and goes through an adjustment period there.
- He then sharpens his game and is able to hang with the other top centres of the league in the regular season
- He then plays in a playoff series and gets manhandled by the likes of either Crosby, Bergeron, Tavares, or another juggernaut.
- He then works really hard in the summer with an awareness of what it takes to battle with the best of them in the playoffs.
- He then comes back the next season a stud and he can hold his own in a playoff series against the best of them.
- Each season he gets better and better and come to know what his full potential is.

Do you see this happening with him now? Not even close. He just bounces around between wing and centre instead of being given the time to concentrate on the position that he is projected to play.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Did you see the report on Galchenyuk and why he is not playing centre. I guess MB, MT and the player haven't discussed what's good for his development. I am just more and more grateful everyday that my habs are not run by posters here, poor ******** would be in the running for McDavid....

Oh right the 'conversation' Therrien had with Galchenyuk. The conversation where a coach who has complete authority over a young player asks his player if he would like to play wing. I don't know about you but if my boss asks me if I want to stay later to finish a report, I wonder what would happen if I just said 'No, I think I would be better off doing it tomorrow'. Imagine Galchenyuk going to Therrien and saying 'No, I would rather play centre'. That would be the beginning of a war that Galchenyuk is smart enough not to get into.

We will make the playoffs either way. If he's projected to be centre long term why not maximize the amount of time he has to develop at that position?

Pricef*

Oh right the 'conversation' Therrien had with Galchenyuk. The conversation where a coach who has complete authority over a young player asks his player if he would like to play wing. I don't know about you but if my boss asks me if I want to stay later to finish a report, I wonder what would happen if I just said 'No, I think I would be better off doing it tomorrow'. Imagine Galchenyuk going to Therrien and saying 'No, I would rather play centre'. That would be the beginning of a war that Galchenyuk is smart enough not to get into.

We will make the playoffs either way. If he's projected to be centre long term why not maximize the amount of time he has to develop at that position?

Wow! Can't say I'm surprised at this post. Only question left for you guys is where do you keep your tin foil hats.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Factor in that Galchenyuk had been moved to the wing one game earlier before this alleged conversation took place. Does anyone really believe that Galchenyuk came up to MT out of the blue and said "Hey can you move me from center to wing? I feel more comfortable there." Yeah, I don't think so.

Just for kicks I was going over some numbers on the Penguins back when MT coached them. They managed to make the finals despite having below average advanced stats. The following season they made it with below average stats again - however, when Bylsma took over their advanced stats spiked and they won the cup. I can't help but wonder if MT actually cost Pittsburgh the cup one season earlier. How much better would that club have been with a good coach? As we've seen from the numbers it makes a difference.

And that more than anything is what bothers me about having this guy right now. We've got three core players in their prime and we've got this clown in the way. There's zero doubt in my mind that with just an average coach we'd see a huge jump in our play. Factor in the strange roster decisions - such as what he's doing with Galchenyuk and DD - and it just makes things that much worse. It would be one thing to have him as our coach as a bottomfeeder, he might even be helping us get higher picks. But now? Just the worst guy to have when you've got a good team. Queue the "but look at the standings" comments.

Last edited:

Pricef*

Factor in that Galchenyuk had been moved to the wing one game earlier before this alleged conversation took place. Does anyone really believe that Galchenyuk came up to MT out of the blue and said "Hey can you move me from center to wing? I feel more comfortable there." Yeah, I don't think so.

Just for kicks I was going over some numbers on the Penguins back when MT coached them. They managed to make the finals despite having below average advanced stats. The following season they made it with below average stats again - however, when Bylsma took over their advanced stats spiked and they won the cup. I can't help but wonder if MT actually cost Pittsburgh the cup one season earlier. How much better would that club have been with a good coach? As we've seen from the numbers it makes a difference.

And that more than anything is what bothers me about having this guy right now. We've got three core players in their prime and we've got this clown in the way. There's zero doubt in my mind that with just an average coach we'd see a huge jump in our play. Factor in the strange roster decisions - such as what he's doing with Galchenyuk and DD - and it just makes things that much worse. It would be one thing to have him as our coach as a bottomfeeder, he might even be helping us get higher picks. But now? Just the worst guy to have when you've got a good team. Queue the "but look at the standings" comments.

Funny how MB hasn't been able to see any of this. Does that mean he's an idiot or clown too oh mighty one

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Hehe, this article is great.

Leafs fan who would so dearly wish to draw parallels between their team and ours. Either to prop themselves up, or to bring us down. They cannot bear to see us ahead of them.

Habs were predicted to miss the playoffs last year. We instead went on a tear and finished with 100+ pts in the top 10 of the league. Then they said we would explode in the playoffs. We swept the lightning and didn't even break a sweat doing it. Then ousted the president trophy winner. And came within a goal or two of beating the rangers after going down 0-2 with our back up goalie.

And this year, they're back at it, predicting the same nonsense. It's glorious.

It is both sad and funny to see our own fans buy into this crap.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny how MB hasn't been able to see any of this. Does that mean he's an idiot or clown too oh mighty one
I'm not sure where his head is at. I didn't understand the extension and I don't understand how he can't see that the team isn't playing well.

I didn't agree with a lot of his earlier moves but his later ones have been solid to even spectacular. So I have confidence in him as a GM at this point. But I don't agree with him on MT.

My guess is that he's just looking at the record and disregarding everything else. It's fine to do that if you have Price in the regular season but you're handicapping yourself for no reason. And THAT's what bothers me... To win the cup, it's next to impossible to do it without being above the 50 mark on possession metrics. Only one team has done it and they fired Therrien immediately before doing so and they were well over the 50 mark after having done it. So basically we're going in with a team that can't hang onto the puck and hoping Price can win it for us. That would be fine - except that we have a team that's capable of playing a lot better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Leafs fan who would so dearly wish to draw parallels between their team and ours. Either to prop themselves up, or to bring us down. They cannot bear to see us ahead of them.

Habs were predicted to miss the playoffs last year. We instead went on a tear and finished with 100+ pts in the top 10 of the league. Then they said we would explode in the playoffs. We swept the lightning and didn't even break a sweat doing it. Then ousted the president trophy winner. And came within a goal or two of beating the rangers after going down 0-2 with our back up goalie.

Man, you have no idea what you're talking about.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004

Just so I understand your argument: Corsi and Fenwick are flawed therefore possession stats are flawed. Scoring chances are what really create goals so they are much better indicator of how a team has been doing and a better predictor for the future. Is that about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad