Michel Therrien respect thread

• Thread starter Capitaine Subban*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitaine Subban*

It's not very popular here but I have to say that ,like the team, Michel got better and wiser with the management of the team.

Like every coach, Michel has favorites and like giving all the chance to his vets but with the help of some injuries he decided to remove one of his favorite vet off the 1st line and let Galchenyuk play as 1st centerman likely forever. It seems like an obvious move but it was a gamble defensively.

His tough love approach seems to work with all of our favorite kids like Beaulieu, subban, eller, sekac, Galchenyuk & bournival. We can argue it wasnt necessary but the final result is good so far.

Finally, what I respect the most is his evolution as chief team bonding guy. He reminds me himself when he was coaching the Granby Predateur.He makes all the player feels as importants as thebest scorer or Carey Price and I think its very important on a team.

Hopefully, he'll keep getting better and wiser and keep winning:yo:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Just a warning; last Therrien thread was closed because it got political. Keep politics out of this one and it'll stay open.

Only warning.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
took him far too long to make the obvious roster decisions...

galch at C
DD off of Patches wing
Sekac consistent role
Beaulieu consitent minutes

now that he's figured it out, the team is making the most of the talent in the lineup, anchored by a goalie that makes it all roll.

i guess people deserve credit for doing the smart thing, though i wonder how many of those roster moves he's made on his own, and how much of it the GM pushed him to do...

in any case, the team is winning, and that hides a lot of problems. if he can keep them hidden all the way to a cup win, than good for all of us.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I'll stop crapping on the guy when:
1) the PP improves
2) Tinordi is brought up and given minutes systematically

As a previous poster pointed out he took way to long to effect the obvious moves (think Galchenyuk at center etc)

Saintpatrick*

galch at C
DD off of Patches wing
Sekac consistent role

now that he's figured it out, the team is making the most of the talent in the lineup, anchored by a goalie that makes it all roll.

i guess people deserve credit for doing the smart thing, though i wonder how many of those roster moves he's made on his own, and how much of it the GM pushed him to do...

in any case, the team is winning, and that hides a lot of problems. if he can keep them hidden all the way to a cup win, than good for all of us.

He ignored obvious problems and forced the GM's hand at least twice this season. I'm sure if Eller wouldn't have gotten hurt DD and Patches would still be together. We're doing well now that the obvious changes have been made but its hard for me to believe those were his idea.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

galch at C
DD off of Patches wing
Sekac consistent role

I said in in another thread and the original poster in this one already touched the subject but the NHL is NOT like a video game. Coaches are dealing with humans most of them with very big ego. To keep their job, they have to cater to their veterans. Changes do get made eventually but after a process where the veteran is given many opportunities to succeed. And no, it's not always fair and rookies more often than not are treated differently and get quicly benched or out of the lineup when making mistakes. Such is the reality of pro sports. Deal with it!

As for MB pushing MT to make lineup changes, I really doubt he is. It's been confirmed through different interviews that management works and makes decisions as a team so I'm confident that MT and MB are on the same page as it relates to lineup decisions.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I'll stop crapping on the guy when:
1) the PP improves
2) Tinordi is brought up and given minutes systematically

As a previous poster pointed out he took way to long to effect the obvious moves (think Galchenyuk at center etc)

1- the pp has vastly improved over the past few games. Even though they don't always score, they spend most of the time in the offensive zone and gain momentum.

2- this is just my opinion but it seems to be shared by management: Tinordi is not yet ready for the NHL. The games he played this season he looked one step behind the play, trying to be physical but not being able to. Handling the puck like it's a grenade. The NHL is not a development league, if a player is not ready to play, he goes down to the AHL to learn some more.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I said in in another thread and the original poster in this one already touched the subject but the NHL is NOT like a video game. Coaches are dealing with humans most of them with very big ego. To keep their job, they have to cater to their veterans. Changes do get made eventually but after a process where the veteran is given many opportunities to succeed. And no, it's not always fair and rookies more often than not are treated differently and get quicly benched or out of the lineup when making mistakes. Such is the reality of pro sports. Deal with it!

It's hilarious to see so many people completely fail to understand this simple fact.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

As for MB pushing MT to make lineup changes, I really doubt he is. It's been confirmed through different interviews that management works and makes decisions as a team so I'm confident that MT and MB are on the same page as it relates to lineup decisions.

and what are your pro sport credentials?

clearly, anything said in media interviews MUST be the truth...

video game logic indeed.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's hilarious to see so many people completely fail to understand this simple fact.

almsot as hilarious as those who assume that because someone is employed in professional sports, their judgment and decision making is infallible.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Could a mod please correct that annoying typo in the title? It's spelled 'rispek'... :laugh:

But, joking aside, he's doing slightly better this year. Still playing favorites with little Davey by giving him way too much TOI. But he finally moved to wing, so that's a clear positive. Markov and Gonchar should both play less, too.

And we should have a better breakout system than having our D always left looking for that strech pass.

All in all, a little too conservative. I guess they overemphasize safety in their directives to the players. You can see that our guys are too often making the safe play instead of going by instinct.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
almsot as hilarious as those who assume that because someone is employed in professional sports, their judgment and decision making is infallible.

Miller,

There are no incompetent doctors, generals, politicians, pro athletes, scientists, or lawyers.

If you make it through all that training then you have to be good, no exceptions.

;-)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

galch at C
DD off of Patches wing
Sekac consistent role

Couldn't have said it any better. Good post.

The roster seems to be mostly fixed now and that was our biggest problem. The play has improved and hopefully we won't see a return to inferior players being used over better ones. As for MT being a "good coach" I disagree. I don't think he's going to help us much and I'm just hoping he doesn't hurt us. Fixing the lineups at least is a good start.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

That has nothing to do with the post I quoted, and nothing to do with the post I made. Not sure where this argument you just presented is coming from.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
1- the pp has vastly improved over the past few games. Even though they don't always score, they spend most of the time in the offensive zone and gain momentum.

2- this is just my opinion but it seems to be shared by management: Tinordi is not yet ready for the NHL. The games he played this season he looked one step behind the play, trying to be physical but not being able to. Handling the puck like it's a grenade. The NHL is not a development league, if a player is not ready to play, he goes down to the AHL to learn some more.

except, they did it with Beaulieu even though he wasnt really good at first, and now it's paying off, the kid is solid on the 2nd pair...

so while NHL isnt a developpement league, Beau still managed to develop his game some more while in this league...

Daice

Jun 30, 2009
My 2c.

I was always sad how HF boards always seemed to bash Therrien, as if it were humanly possible to make a team excel in every single aspect of the game, all the time, consistently.

So I stopped any therrien bashing thread, It's very refreshing to see a happy therrien thread.

Coaching an NHL team is not about making no mistakes, it's about making the least mistakes.

Seeing how the team has progressed, They did exactly what MB said they wanted to do. Bring back a sense of pride to the Habs Fans.

We're far from the Randy Cunneyworth times, this team has drive, has purpose, is not perfect in every single aspect, but it wins games.

We can only hope they keep the same drive once the playoff come. I like therrien, I like MB, may they both keep doing a great job.

PS: I hope HF praising therrien is not like RDS and TVA sports praising therrien. AKA. the team instantly stars losing : )

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

Let me know when they start scoring goals regularly on the PP

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

20131001_jla_aa5_283.0_standard_730_.0_.jpg

In Michel We Trust

''J’ai beaucoup aimé l’intensité qu’on a déplorée''

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Galchenyuk is playing top line at C.
Pacioretty-DD split up.
Sekac no longer scratched.
Beaulieu in the top 4.
Eller-Sekac has been money.

Aaaaaand, the team is winning.

Michel is doing something he failed to do last year -- in-game adjustments. If a line is failing to contain a player in their head-to-head, Therrien will quickly identify that and make a few tweaks or stick another line out there. It's been refreshing. The fact that the team played the second game of a back-to-back, against Pittsburgh no less, and played a full 60 minutes with a fire under their ass was a nice sign.

I have nothing bad to say about Therrien. I just hope this holds up during the second half of the season.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
and what are your pro sport credentials?

clearly, anything said in media interviews MUST be the truth...

video game logic indeed.

My pro sports credential has nothing to do with the point I am bringing to the table. And as far as interviews go I doubt that MB and MT goes out of their way to explain they work and make decision as a team when they do the opposite in reality. This is not a critical information to reveal.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
In Michel we trust...

Now please don't take forever to put Bournival-Eller-Sekac together Please!!

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
I've never been a big fan of his, of his system and how he handles young players sometimes, but gotta give credit where it is due. The club is winning, and that's all I want.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
except, they did it with Beaulieu even though he wasnt really good at first, and now it's paying off, the kid is solid on the 2nd pair...

so while NHL isnt a developpement league, Beau still managed to develop his game some more while in this league...

I disagree. Beaulieu was sent down and showed improvement when called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad