News Article: Michael Hutchinson speaks: trade request, AHL All-Star controversy, NHL future

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You are not the same person you were a year ago and neither is hutch hell look at what Helle has done...

We all deserve second chances and thirds for that is what being a Winnipeg Jet fan is all about for me anyways...

doesn't make me right tho until we prove who our second goaltender is....

mason hasn't proven yet either....

waiting for one or the other to step up...

Helle needs a backup...

So do all of us fans...

Sure but the org gave him 3 chances and I wish him well somewhere else but I dislike people who are unwilling to take ownership for their own failures. But you are right we need a good backup but he has likely burnt his bridges with the org. Outside of a rough start Mason has been fine imo. The question is if he can stay healthy.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
And yet from mid December of that season to end of February Hutch played 20 games to Pavs 12. So the org did recognize his good start to the season and when he kept his play up was given the starting job. Pavs only got it back when his play waned and Pavs took it back with perhaps the best stretch of hockey in his career.

He was a raw NHL rookie goalie, what was he expecting right off the bat to start his career. When he proved over a long enough stretch to be better than the starter he was given the job, do you think its any different in any other organization with regards to a young goalie trying to win the job.

He should have had that talk with Wheeler....like the one Connor had......the one where he said "I have to prove myself every day"

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Sure but the org gave him 3 chances and I wish him well somewhere else but I dislike people who are unwilling to take ownership for their own failures. But you are right we need a good backup but he has likely burnt his bridges with the org. Outside of a rough start Mason has been fine imo. The question is if he can stay healthy.

No bridges are not burnt with TNSE and Hutch for the only fact who do we roll with as a backup goalie...

neither have proven worthy for we are always playing Helle...

not a bad thing but we need to figure out very soon who we are backing our playoff chances with ...

Mason or Helle?

They both need games to prove who is worthy at this time for surixon goalies are voodoo so who is the hotter voodoo we chose to use this year???

hutch still has very good chance sorry to say...

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Winnipeg Jets’ Michael Hutchinson cleared to play following concussion

Winnipeg Jets goalie Michael Hutchinson will return to the lineup Friday after sitting out more than two weeks with a concussion.
Hutchinson will back up Connor Hellebuyck when the Jets open a two-game road trip against the St. Louis Blues. He’s missed the last six games after a puck struck him in the mask during a morning skate.

The rest here...

Winnipeg Jets’ Michael Hutchinson cleared to play following concussion

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The guy played 28 games while Pav sat in the A last season, I'd hardly call that not getting a chance. He posted a .903, even Ondrej the Giant posted a .910 in his 16 games back. In the playoff year he started out like a house on fire and then posted a sub .900 SV% in 10 of his last 18 games while Pav went on to post 6 shutouts in the last 8 weeks of the season.

The guy lost his job that season to Pav and even when given a chance the following season to show something, he didn't do it. He needs to own that, he's simply not that good.

Disclaimer, in no way should this post be misinterpreted as a defense of Pavelec. :)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The guy played 28 games while Pav sat in the A last season, I'd hardly call that not getting a chance. He posted a .903, even Ondrej the Giant posted a .910 in his 16 games back. In the playoff year he started out like a house on fire and then posted a sub .900 SV% in 10 of his last 18 games while Pav went on to post 6 shutouts in the last 8 weeks of the season.

The guy lost his job that season to Pav and even when given a chance the following season to show something, he didn't do it. He needs to own that, he's simply not that good.

Disclaimer, in no way should this post be misinterpreted as a defense of Pavelec. :)

Pretty much how I feel. He had plenty of opportunities here to prove himself and dropped the ball every time. You're not getting 82 straight games to prove yourself as an NHL goalie. 100 games over 3 seasons is more of a chance than many netminders get. I used to like you Hutch.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed with all those who believe Hutch got his opportunities. Several times he was handed the reigns with the chance at the starter's role, and every time he let it slip away with sub standard play. 100 games as a goalie is your opportunity in the NHL. Maybe he gets another chance, but he certainly isn't owed it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agreed with all those who believe Hutch got his opportunities. Several times he was handed the reigns with the chance at the starter's role, and every time he let it slip away with sub standard play. 100 games as a goalie is your opportunity in the NHL. Maybe he gets another chance, but he certainly isn't owed it.
And then there is Pavs and the contradiction of being given enough chances.
Pavs was gifted a spot for 5 years and that is fact.
So really Hutch wasn’t given the same opportunity now was he when all is said and done.
Cheveldayoff blew the first 5 years of Jets 2.0 with his steadfast refusal to recognize and rectify Pavs and the goaltending situation
Like Aavco said it doesn’t matter anymore.
Hope Hutchinson gets an opportunity.

Reactions: 204hockey

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep. IIRC, Pavs did not whine or complain once in the AHL, despite the fall from grace.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Tough unforgiving room...

tenor.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And then there is Pavs and the contradiction of being given enough chances.
Pavs was gifted a spot for 5 years and that is fact.
So really Hutch wasn’t given the same opportunity now was he when all is said and done.
Cheveldayoff blew the first 5 years of Jets 2.0 with his steadfast refusal to recognize and rectify Pavs and the goaltending situation
Like Aavco said it doesn’t matter anymore.
Hope Hutchinson gets an opportunity.
Seems to me Chevy build his young contending core of players over his first 5 years. I've argued more than a few times Chevy was the best soft tanker in the business. Opportunities vary. Last season Pavs was in the minors and Hutch was in the NHL given the opportunity to grab the starters role. Don't know if I'd like to argue we should want to give another substandard goalie the same leash as Pavs got. I'd prefer to start winning.

Reactions: ERYX

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So Hutch asked for a trade in July when Mason was signed, and the Jets still haven't been able to find him a home on an NHL team? So basically no team thinks he's NHL caliber?

He cleared waivers so it's pretty likely no team wanted him early on. When teams were looking for goalies there were some Hutch rumours out there but Mason got concussed and Comrie got shelled so that probably scared the Jets a bit and put the kaibosh on any potential trade that was possibly in the works.

Maybe he gets traded before Monday.

Reactions: Jets 31

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Seems to me Chevy build his young core contending core of players over his first 5 years. I've argued more than a few times Chevy was the best soft tanker in the business. Opportunities vary. Last season Pavs was in the minors and Hutch was in the NHL given the opportunity to grab the starters role. Don't know if I'd like to argue we should want to give another substandard goalie the same leash as Pavs got. I'd prefer to start winning.
Me too on winning.
The narrative Hutch got the same chances are false...period,
It’s too bad Hutch feels this way as I think him and Helle would be a great tandem.
I think a lot of people understand Hutch’s position and those who don’t seem to show a lot of animosity for whatever reason.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Me too on winning.
It’s too bad Hutch feels this way as I think him and Helle would be a great tandem.
I think a lot of people understand Hutch’s position and those who don’t seem to show a lot of animosity for whatever reason.

Tough room needs a tough Squirrels viewpoint...

GIF-Cat-vs.-Squirrel.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Me too on winning.
I don't have any animosity towards Hutch. Just think he had a legit opportunity. Probably more than most goalies in a similar talent range. Still feel Mason will end up being a good backup to Helly and provide a little relief down the stretch.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hutch and Matthias were signed to two year deals as expansion draft fodder. They weren't in the Jets' long term plans. I wonder if they were also "covered" in the Jets' trade with Vegas, so Vegas had to take Thorbs and the Jets kept even Hutch and Matthias.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't have any animosity towards Hutch. Just think he had a legit opportunity. Probably more than most goalies in a similar talent range. Still feel Mason will end up being a good backup to Helly and provide a little relief down the stretch.
I’m hoping Mason recovers fully
He was who I wanted in the off season
Didn’t expect Hutch back
Credit to Hutch he has played lights out in the AHL

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Interesting that he requested a trade
I'm not too fussed either way, although he is having a great AHL season so can probably still be a decent backup

Reactions: Eyeseeing

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Informative article. I like Hutch but like people have said, weird time to talk about this and he seems to be burning a bridge. The article does not mention that he went on waivers before going to the AHL and no NHL team wanted to claim him.

Reactions: ps241 and HPsauce

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Me too on winning.
No they aren't.....period. Am I doing this right?

I have no animosity towards Hutch, why would I? I just don't think he's all that good, he's shown that more times in his 100 games than he hasn't.

Reactions: Jets 31

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
- he didnt fail to report to the Moose
- he didnt go public with his trade demand. Until now.
- didnt talk to the media
- instead he had an allstar season with the moose

I just dont see the reason to hate on the guy. He even admits Hellebuyck is a great goalie. If either Hutch or Helly had a better season last year I doubt Mason gets signed.

Its also amazing how quickly this fanbase will turn on a goalie. I guess after being abused by management with Pavelec for so long we have a very short fuse.

Also people tend to forget Hutch lead the league in sv% for a big part of the payoffs season. Its too bad we havent seen that form from him since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad