News Article: Michael Hutchinson speaks: trade request, AHL All-Star controversy, NHL future

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last season when Helly was struggling a bit Hutch got a fair chance and didn't make the most of it , he was pretty bad . That is the NHL , you have to make the most out of any opportunity you get . The whole i'm not doing any interviews rubbed me the wrong way though , guy is still making good money playing a game , roll with the punches man .

Reactions: Ducky10

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm not seeing "hate" for Hutchinson, I'm just seeing lots of people disagreeing with his opinion that he was never given a fair chance. And I am among those who think that he DID get a fair chance. Did he get as much rope as Pavelec? No, but just because Pavs got a totally undeserved and ridiculous run as starting goaltender doesn't mean that Hutch was entitled to the same or that he's justified in being butthurt over not getting it. IMO he was treated fairly, when he outplayed Pavs he was given the reins until he pooped the bed after the All Star Break his rookie year. Last year the team sent Pavs down to the AHL and gave Helle and Hutch the chance to duel it out for starter position. What more could he want? He played like **** forcing management's hand to go get Mason. Helle played slightly less ****y than Hutch, so he got to stay up as Mason's backup. Helle then stole the starting position from Mason. Seems like everyone got a fair shake here and Pavelec's treatment is irrelevant.

... guy is still making good money playing a game , roll with the punches man .

Yup, dude's making $575,000 USD, which in Canadian monopoly money is about $730,000. I would do a job I absolutely despite for that kind of money, let alone play a game that I enjoy as a recreation escape from the ratrace. I'm sure most people would. Heck, if I had the opportunity to play pro hockey at any level for 1/10th of what Hutch makes I'd probably grab it and be thankful for my good life. So suck it up.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I remember when Hutch had his chance. He really was given his opportunity but just wasn't consistently good. There was a ton of support for him here - we went through the whole 'Hutch is Clutch' thing. Unfortunately, he wasn't.

I wish him the best of luck but he just does not appear to have what it takes to be an NHL starter, and likely not even a backup.

If he does get traded to an NHL club, I hope that we meet that team in the playoffs and face him.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I haven't read all the posts so I apologize if I am repeating.

After last season I didn't want to see Hutch in a Jets uniform ever again.
The Jets have, arguably, given him more chances than most teams would. He didn't do much with his chances.
I am glad and understand why he is still the Jets' property. If Helle went down while Mason was out, Comrie would have become our starter and as much as I like the guy, he isn't ready for the show. The same as me always wanting Myers traded...Trouba goes down and we have Myers to step up. If I were the GM, I'd have traded Myers and Poolman would have been our 2RHD and not sure who our #3 would have been. Chevy is a big believer in depth and he has opened my eyes somewhat this season.
I hope Hutch is a Jet until the end of the season and then wish him the best in his career as he goes forward.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
I haven't read all the posts so I apologize if I am repeating.

After last season I didn't want to see Hutch in a Jets uniform ever again.
The Jets have, arguably, given him more chances than most teams would. He didn't do much with his chances.
I am glad and understand why he is still the Jets' property. If Helle went down while Mason was out, Comrie would have become our starter and as much as I like the guy, he isn't ready for the show. The same as me always wanting Myers traded...Trouba goes down and we have Myers to step up. If I were the GM, I'd have traded Myers and Poolman would have been our 2RHD and not sure who our #3 would have been. Chevy is a big believer in depth and he has opened my eyes somewhat this season.
I hope Hutch is a Jet until the end of the season and then wish him the best in his career as he goes forward.
Myers makes us so much better. Poolman is garbage also hutch is way better than mason who is a mistake and commy isnt ready id re up hutch for 2 years as a ligit backup

Reactions: GNP

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Last season when Helly was struggling a bit Hutch got a fair chance and didn't make the most of it , he was pretty bad . That is the NHL , you have to make the most out of any opportunity you get . The whole i'm not doing any interviews rubbed me the wrong way though , guy is still making good money playing a game , roll with the punches man .

Except if your ondrej pavelec which to me seems to be the point

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Except if your ondrej pavelec which to me seems to be the point
They should have doubled down on their terrible mishandling of Pavelec? That seems to be the point. Hutch wasn't that much of an upgrade on him, at least they realized it earlier than they did with Ondrej.

Reactions: Jets 31

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
True. For skaters, there is always another line or pairing to play on even if you are demoted, but if you are the goalie that does not start, that's it for you.

And even for trades, if you consider every team has a prospect or two they are developing, and probably at least one goalie they like on their roster, that leaves no room for you to go to another team.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I like the new parents analogy. I like to think Chevy has learned on the job since 2011. Just because a mistake was made early in his GM career, doesn't mean he intends to repeat it.

Like the opposite of new parents. Usually the first child is the one who gets ridden hard and they relax a bit later and the younger children get away with murder.

At least that's what my older sisters say. :laugh:

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Hutch’s chance came at a point THE ENTIRE Organization was warning would be “a step backwards” season.

To be honest The jets played pretty poor defence in front of hutch. The PK was a shooting gallery, and we had a young team prone to mistakes.

I really think hutch can be a backup. The fact winnipeg didn’t trade him for a bag of pucks already shows they think he has value.

His play in the AHL shows his value.

Heck I’ve got a couple of NHL starters in my hockey pool that have had a bad 10 games here snd there over the years.
I’m not saying Hutch is the greatest, I just think he wasn’t given a solid shot here. And considering the horrible way the Jets have handled goalies, and the horrible horrible goalie coach we have here, I’m surprised so many are ready to throw the kid under a bus.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hutch’s chance came at a point THE ENTIRE Organization was warning would be “a step backwards” season.

To be honest The jets played pretty poor defence in front of hutch. The PK was a shooting gallery, and we had a young team prone to mistakes.

I really think hutch can be a backup. The fact winnipeg didn’t trade him for a bag of pucks already shows they think he has value.

Heck I’ve got a couple of NHL starters in my hockey pool that have had a bad 10 games here snd there over the years.
I’m not saying Hutch is the greatest, I just think he wasn’t given a solid shot here. And considering the horrible way the Jets have handled goalies, and the horrible horrible goalie coach we have here, I’m surprised so many are ready to throw the kid under a bus.
If I remember correctly the Jets have a 24 y/o all star with a .922 that looks to be on his way to being among the best in the league. Not sure I care too much about a little collateral damage along the way? Hutch is a 27 y/o backup level goalie that has got in 100 NHL games. He had a couple chances to run with a starter job and it slipped through his fingers. That has happened to 100's of goalies across all organizations.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Very well said
It’s not hard to imagine why Hutch feels the way he does
Solid post

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I do recall last year, the team had totally given up in front of him. It was easy to blame the goalies for poor save percentages, but a lot of the goals came on rebounds and blown coverage that the defense shouldn't have let slip. I think he's worth another chance, his AHL numbers are pretty good - shows what he can do when his team is more competent than the opponent. At least he wasn't Louis Domingue'd in the ECHL..

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
I would guess upwards of 80% of NHL goalies who didn't make it as starters feel similarly. A lot of them have a point. The systems always eaten up and spit out a lot of "coulda' been a contender" prospects. Not enough opportunities for everyone.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
If I remember correctly the Jets have a 24 y/o all star with a .922 that looks to be on his way to being among the best in the league. Not sure I care too much about a little collateral damage along the way? Hutch is a 27 y/o backup level goalie that has got in 100 NHL games. He had a couple chances to run with a starter job and it slipped through his fingers. That has happened to 100's of goalies across all organizations.
It’s called asset management.
He is a 27yr old who only has 100 games because he was stuck behind Pavs. That’s it. We rode Pavs game in game out loss after loss. While hutch rode pine, didn’t play, got colder and colder then what? Shoved in to a frustrated young team who by all metrics availiable were not playing playoff level defence.

His numbers aren’t that bad for a back up, and he’s just barely into his prime. He could easily progress and be a quality back up maybe even 1b nhler.

We have a cheap option backup with decent upside and strong nhl level backup stats, who is destroying the AHL.....
Personally at this point he’s above Mason on my depth chart.

And we have cap issues.
I’d trade Mason and sign hutch.

Reactions: GNP and Guffman

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I sure would be chuffed if I were hutch watching the jets defence this year. But he acknowledges helle's play understands that mason being here means he is the 3rd goalies. So yeah asking for a trade seems more the reasonable. No doubt TNSE expected it. I feel though in the end it'll be all good TNSE seems to take care of their personnel.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
It’s called asset management.
He is a 27yr old who only has 100 games because he was stuck behind Pavs. That’s it. We rode Pavs game in game out loss after loss. While hutch rode pine, didn’t play, got colder and colder then what? Shoved in to a frustrated young team who by all metrics availiable were not playing playoff level defence.

His numbers aren’t that bad for a back up, and he’s just barely into his prime. He could easily progress and be a quality back up maybe even 1b nhler.

We have a cheap option backup with decent upside and strong nhl level backup stats, who is destroying the AHL.....
Personally at this point he’s above Mason on my depth chart.

And we have cap issues.

totally agree I'd like to see hutch stay as our back up and we move mason.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was all for giving Hutchinson another chance based off his play this year.

After reading this, I'd rather not have him part of the org anymore. Give him a chance elsewhere, he's earned that but we don't need primadonnas on this team.

I don't blame him for the ridiculousness of the whole Pavelec fiasco but that is over, and the stuff he's said since proves he's a me first guy.

Reactions: JetBlue420

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Doesn't matter what Hutch does or doesn't do on the ice... doesn't matter what he says or doesn't say... if the Jets have already decided he's not in their future.

Given what has gone on with Mason this year, IMO the Jets will keep Hutch for the remainder of the year and playoffs, and then move him after the season. Not sure what kind of return we will get for him.

Last edited:

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
.It didn't work out for Hutch here and he's doing what I would do. Try somewhere else.

Imagine if Helly was hurt in camp and Hutch found himself in net in front of a much improved Jets Defense. Like most things in life timing is everything.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

totally agree I'd like to see hutch stay as our back up and we move mason.

I was all for giving Hutchinson another chance based off his play this year.

Doesn't matter what Hutch does or doesn't do on the ice... doesn't matter what he says or doesn't say... if the Jets have already decided he's not in their future.

I'm amazed how many of you seem to think that Hutchinson, UFA at end of season, after being demoted and asking for a trade, would even think about re-signing with the Jets?!

Of course he will go somewhere else, Jets have no say in that.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I don't know ..... maybe hutch is taking stock in the fact that his performance is based on his ability to prepare and seeing how hellebucyk turned things around from a hard offseason maybe he is seeing ways he can improve himself and his play rather then blame the jets for misusing him. If a team that is trending to be a legit cup contender would be willing to have me as a back-up regardless of the past I'd probably go for it. I mean he cleared waivers once its not like there are all these great opportunities waiting for him on other teams.
Don't see how that thought is that outta whack.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->