News Article: Michael Hutchinson speaks: trade request, AHL All-Star controversy, NHL future

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm amazed how many of you seem to think that Hutchinson, UFA at end of season, after being demoted and asking for a trade, would even think about re-signing with the Jets?!

Of course he will go somewhere else, Jets have no say in that.
He might not have a lot of options. If he can find a 1 way contract somewhere in the $1 M range to be a backup he should consider himself very fortunate.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
He might not have a lot of options. If he can find a 1 way contract somewhere in the $1 M range to be a backup he should consider himself very fortunate.

Alex Stalock

2013-14 San Jose Sharks NHL241.87.932| Playoffs32.05.929
2014-15 San Jose Sharks NHL222.62.902|
2015-16 San Jose Sharks NHL132.94.884|
San Jose Barracuda AHL21.96.930|
Toronto Marlies AHL32.66.907|
2016-17 Minnesota Wild NHL21.51.944|
Iowa Wild AHL502.28.926|
2017-18 Minnesota Wild NHL232.73.916|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Darcy Kuemper

2014-15 Minnesota Wild NHL312.60.905| Playoffs10.001.000
Iowa Wild AHL53.22.891|
2015-16 Minnesota Wild NHL212.43.915|
2016-17 Minnesota Wild NHL183.13.902|
2017-18 Los Angeles Kings NHL192.10.932|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm sure some team will offer just that. And let's not forget Pavelec.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Here is an idea that may or may not be great, and is unrelated to the playoffs this year.
If possible, could we trade away Mason in the off-season for a low draft pick (3rd or 4th) and sign Hutchinson to a low cost bridge deal? It could save the team 2-3 million dollars and allow us some room for other necessary signings.
Just a thought.

Thoughts?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hutch’s chance came at a point THE ENTIRE Organization was warning would be “a step backwards” season.

To be honest The jets played pretty poor defence in front of hutch. The PK was a shooting gallery, and we had a young team prone to mistakes.

I really think hutch can be a backup. The fact winnipeg didn’t trade him for a bag of pucks already shows they think he has value.

His play in the AHL shows his value.

Heck I’ve got a couple of NHL starters in my hockey pool that have had a bad 10 games here snd there over the years.
I’m not saying Hutch is the greatest, I just think he wasn’t given a solid shot here. And considering the horrible way the Jets have handled goalies, and the horrible horrible goalie coach we have here, I’m surprised so many are ready to throw the kid under a bus.

The PK was a shooting gallery then? You obviously haven't seen it now

Reactions: Ducky10

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hutch and Hellebuyck played like garbage last year.

Chevy trying to acquire a competent starting goalie proves the organization and fans were not happy with our goal tending after last season.

Going after Mason which was our worst option in a goalie motivated our goalies to step up their game and realize that their job was not safe.

Hellebuyck rose to the occasion and Hutch played amazing in the AHL.

If they want to be pissed at someone they should try looking in the mirror first.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'm amazed how many of you seem to think that Hutchinson, UFA at end of season, after being demoted and asking for a trade, would even think about re-signing with the Jets?!

Of course he will go somewhere else, Jets have no say in that.

If Hutch takes the emotion out of it, he would be better off playing on a quality team like the Jets rather than some terrible team.

Back-ups are more apt to spin out to a starter (elsewhere) if they post quality numbers on a solid team (e.g., Darling).

Reactions: Mbraunm

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Agreed, Hutch has never seemed much on personal accountibility in his time with the Jets. He's thrown his teammates under the bus a couple of times after lousy performances.

I find his indignation kind of funny, his success as an NHL goalie is pretty small sample, not sure where he gets the attitude he's being screwed.

Pavelec was worse. He threw his teammates under the bus far more often.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
They should have doubled down on their terrible mishandling of Pavelec? That seems to be the point. Hutch wasn't that much of an upgrade on him, at least they realized it earlier than they did with Ondrej.

I recall being livid on the last day they could buyout Pavelec in 2014. Montoya played far better during his time here, has better career numbers, and could be had for a fraction of the price, opening up the door for the Jets to sign a legitimate goalie. Never understood why they refused to resign Montoya after the year he had in 2013-14.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wouldn't trust him with a starter role, nor for more than 1-2
games in the PO.

But I wouldn't mind offloading Mason and signing Hutch to a bridge deal - No way he does that however.

+ Who is gonna bite on that last year of Masons contract?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wouldn't trust him with a starter role, nor for more than 1-2
games in the PO.

But I wouldn't mind offloading Mason and signing Hutch to a bridge deal - No way he does that however.

+ Who is gonna bite on that last year of Masons contract?

I like the idea of trading Mason, even if we had to retain some of his contract. He is very vulnerable to "concussions" and is out half the time.

If I was Chevy, I'd only do this if Hutch would sign on as a backup at a reasonable price, which he'd likely do with Mason gone.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thoughts?

There might be a problem getting Hutch to sign here but if he knew Mason was already gone and that he would likely have the backup job, I'm pretty sure he would kiss and make up.

The problem is that Mason, with that 4.1 mil AAV and poor performance this year is almost untradeable.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There might be a problem getting Hutch to sign here but if he knew Mason was already gone and that he would likely have the backup job, I'm pretty sure he would kiss and make up.

The problem is that Mason, with that 4.1 mil AAV and poor performance this year is almost untradeable.

Luckily it was only a 2 year contract. Reasons like this I am usually happy that Chevy is not too trigger happy with the open market FA signings.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad