Michael Grabner

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Grabner is the type of player you won't get a good return on if you're trading him for picks. You only trade him if you're getting another roster player in return, and something of need.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
He AVERAGES 25 goals per 82 goals played. And his speed helps on the PK and it causes teams to take penalties. You don't just throw that away for a 3rd round pick. I'll take a healthy Grabner over Bailey any day of the week.

That 25 per 82 game average is over his career and assuming he will play 82 games which he has not been able to any year. I hate comparing these two since I want both but Bailey since 2011 has 99 points to Grabner's 81, .45 points per game to .42 points per game for Grabs and a -7 versus a -27, 218 games for Bailey, 192 for Grabner in that span. Grabner's style is much more aggressive than Bailey's. Bailey is also excellent defensively and although he does not have the breakaway threat that Grabs does he also does not get caught out of position like Grabner does. Grabner play has declined somewhat since his breakout year of 2010, while Bailey is showing improvement. Bailey continues to be mismanaged, being paired with different lines constantly. I want both, they are both versatile in different ways (Grabner speed and PK, Bailey can play all 3 forward positions on any line and could be said to be our most versatile forward). I would take the 2010 Grabner over Bailey, but going forward, you have to consider all things including injuries and what you expect as future production, I would want Bailey but do not believe anyone could say right now either one is vastly superior to the other.

Thankfully, no one is saying that it is one or the other, and despite fans proposing these things, these two may not be the ones vying for the last spot..

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Just adding on, Bailey has 35 points in 62 games in calendar year 2014 with a +1 while Grabner has 16 points in 32 games with a -6 over the same period. Bailey averaging .57 PPG and 46 points for an 82 game season, Grabner .5 ppg and 41 for a full season… Considering that these guys are valuable two way players, I want both of them on my team, I just hope Grabs can stay healthy, and starting to be a bit of a concern.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Just adding on, Bailey has 35 points in 62 games in calendar year 2014 with a +1 while Grabner has 16 points in 32 games with a -6 over the same period. Bailey averaging .57 PPG and 46 points for an 82 game season, Grabner .5 ppg and 41 for a full season… Considering that these guys are valuable two way players, I want both of them on my team, I just hope Grabs can stay healthy, and starting to be a bit of a concern.

As far as we know, his only "health" issue is recovery from the hernia. Hernia surgery s normally pretty straightforward and not complex, but it is serious if left alone to become incarcerated, which Grabner's did not.
I had it surgery 15 years ago, quick recovery, and was back to hitting golf balls in under 6 weeks. That isn't playing NHL hockey, but the healing just depends on the degree of the surgery, and mine was almost emergency, so his was probably not as bad.
He might have some scr tissue or strained something else. When he becomes available it will be just as if Garth made a trade for NHL depth, we will have 13 NHL forwards, good for th playoff push.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 3h3 hours ago
No waivers for #Isles today, so that should tell you who's in the lineup tomorrow. Grabner still skating and waiting.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/551427811651891201

This is incredibly interesting to me. There is (IMO) zero chance Eric Boulton gets claimed on waivers, so why not let the guy get some burn in Bridgeport? Is he that valuable in the locker room? That's the only thing I can think of.

However, where does Grabner even fit? I'd love to see him plug on the 4th line as he seems to thrive on less TOI but all 3 guys are currently playing good hockey.

por2gues

Aug 2, 2005
With Perron netting a late 1st round pick, do you think grabner could do the same? Quick look at their career numbers and they're relatively close at least from point per game avg. Their contracts are relatively close.

What do you think?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
With Perron netting a late 1st round pick, do you think grabner could do the same? Quick look at their career numbers and they're relatively close at least from point per game avg. Their contracts are relatively close.

What do you think?

No, if he was having a good season he could net us a decent return, but he hasn't been healthy at all, so he isn't gonna bring us anything good, may as well just hold on to him.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
No, if he was having a good season he could net us a decent return, but he hasn't been healthy at all, so he isn't gonna bring us anything good, may as well just hold on to him.

True enough about injuries, but not necessarily true about having a good season...just look at perron...5 goals in 38 games for the oil. He was simply awful and still netted a first rounder.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Semin's best days were with Ovi... Now he's just well, another Scott Gomez

Certain players just don't work on other teams (see: Naslund, Drury, Gomez, Jason Blake, PAP)

not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but i have to say that drury had successful seasons with four different nhl teams.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

What do you think?

I think we should be more excited about making the playoffs and having depth than whipping ourselves into a froth at the prospect of trying to get 1st round picks. I'd be cheesed if the Isles made some other team better just for a ****ing pick.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but i have to say that drury had successful seasons with four different nhl teams.

I wouldn't really call Drury a successful player on his other teams.

He was at his height on Buffalo, then completely fell off with the Rangers, even though his point production on NYR says otherwise.

BUF worst mistake was breaking up lines with trades and not re-signing players before free agency.

They were at the gates of the SC!

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday · 5m 5 minutes ago

Grabner is coming off IR. Likely in tonight. We'll see who's in on D and out up front after skate.

so is it Boulton or Strait? guessing Boulton.

Edit: so Lubo to IR, we don't need to make another move. I guess this should not be a surprise.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't really call Drury a successful player on his other teams.

He was at his height on Buffalo, then completely fell off with the Rangers, even though his point production on NYR says otherwise.

BUF worst mistake was breaking up lines with trades and not re-signing players before free agency.

They were at the gates of the SC!

We'll agree to disagree about his effectiveness.

A different topic: buffalo couldn't re-sign him. They couldn't afford him. It wasn't a mistake they made.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Grabs vs Bailey

After a return to service Grabner looks ineffectual next to Tavares.

So far in the battle of the depth forwards I have Bailey ahead by a chain link, or two. I guess one question that lingers though is if judging them on Tavares' wing hurts one more than the other.

I will say that last night the book titled, "Can Grabber Play With Tavares?" was closed, burned, and the ashes spread across LI Sound.

TW

Apr 4, 2013
You just can't ask for too much from Grabner. All the things to that can be learned in the NHL, he learned. Over the years as an Islander, he stepped up all the aspects of the game that can be coached. He learned to kill penalties. He learned to clog breakout zone passes. He learned when to - and when not to - hit the seams for a breakaway pass. He learned some stick techniques to separate players from the puck. He can be a great weapon on a good team.

What you can't do is expect him to just learn how to play a smart offensive game. He doesn't have it. His hands are just bad. His offensive instincts are worse. I suspect that his wheels were soooo much faster than the competition in Austria that he never learned the stuff you have to learn in your teens to develop hockey IQ. As longs as he can skate the way he skates, he can be a great 3rd liner. I wouldn't expect more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad