News Article: Michael Farber on Dan Bylsma

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Laviolette doesn't have a job. Just saying. Noted players coach but doesn't take any ****.

That said, we all know it will be Hynes who replaces Bylsma should Byslma be let go.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Laviolette doesn't have a job. Just saying. Noted players coach but doesn't take any ****.

That said, we all know it will be Hynes who replaces Bylsma should Byslma be let go.

No, Hynes will probably have a job somewhere else by the time 2025 gets here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Team USA's result today looks eerily similar to something we've seen from Bylsma coached teams in Pittsburgh. Steamroll through the round robin/weaker teams (regular season) scoring at will, then struggle to score and lose when it counts (playoffs).

Is there a correlation there, based on his system being fine when the opposition doesn't give much of a challenge but then he can't find the adjustments when the opposition plays shutdown defense? Or is it more coincidence?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Michael Farber is probably the Èminence Gris of North American hockey writing, not to say among those for sports in general. As such, the article is helped along greatly by its composition and the very fact that the man can write... which is a rarity among hockey scribes.

That said, the article doesn't really say much. It paints Bylsma as a dedicated individual who works hard and is driven towards becoming better. But if you write a profile on most people in high performance jobs, you will be able to paint a similar image of them.
Nor does the US going through the initial stages of an Olympic tournament in style tell us much - last time around it was Ron Wilson and, well.... you know. It is a good team this time also, and unlike on the Pens there are no dodgy areas for matching what Bylsma's wants. This is not to downplay the accomplishment of having them perform well right off the bat; it is something in his favor as we have also seen with his ability to have players come up from the minors and fit roles almost irrespective of talent level.

But this ability, which is an extension of his ability to make players feel part of the project I suppose, team spirit and all, does not do anything about what we might consider his warts... well, what I consider his warts certainly. All of that makes no difference in a 7 game series where he is called upon to prepare for particular opponents rather than just focus on #getting to our game, change on the fly, adjust for opposition and dictate match-ups. I've been disgusted with Bylsma on those counts ever since we won the cup.

He is uncommonly introspective? Well, ultimately I don't doubt that Bylsma is very dedicated to seeking out knowledge and considering whether new approaches of any kind can make him improve.
But as to what we can observe, I just don't see that the questions he is asking himself following spells of such introspection is leading to any actual change on the areas where I think him sub-par.

And as for our foundation, never mind adjustments or match ups, I am not particularly impressed with any part of our structure of play (decent defensive schemes, but minutes are not doled out according to performances or suitability to roles - pretty much the opposite of what we see with Bylsma's Olympic D-group), less so about the total lack of response or accountability when favored vets dumps on the porch, repeatedly. To me - when push comes to shove, we are exactly what our stars make us.

Managing a roster with stars the likes of ours is not easy, and I do credit Bylsma for being great at creating an atmosphere where apathy does not take hold and where people seem driven to excel.
However, if that atmosphere is also defined by us being incapable of managing our emotions under pressure or overcoming challenges in the crux, you have to question the value or solidity of it.

Players go to bat for him, and that is important. Players like being Penguins. That is important too. But clearly you can also find successful coaches that players go to bat for not as much because of personal affinity, but because they want to win and because performing is necessary to securing their role on the hockey team.

Oh, and on Babcock: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140130/SPORTS0103/301300041

While I have no doubt Bylsma is more likeable to players, as an owner I would still go with Babcock every day of the week. Well, at least until after the Canada-US game which has caused me to leave what could have turned into quite a party early :D .

This is a rather outstanding post. Well done.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
TR, that is because your post is 100% correct.

Ultimately for the rest of the thread, you cannot base DB's 1 game against Canada as a direct result as to why the Penguins fail. Yes... it was very similar. I agree. Even the announcers kept saying "Eventually USA has to try something different" over and over again. Yes - even that is similar. But this is a 1 game elimination game. I thought Canada just played a tremendous DEFENSIVE hockey game. Nothing more - nothing less.

Other than that - refer to TR's post for the rest.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well I think it is safe to say he will not see anymore international coaching time

I dunno about that, It was a terrible way to finish the tournament, but USA was predicted to finish 4th before the tournament started behind Canada Sweden and Russia ,they ended up where most people thought they would.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I dunno about that, It was a terrible way to finish the tournament, but USA was predicted to finish 4th before the tournament started behind Canada Sweden and Russia ,they ended up where most people thought they would.

Oh if only the Penguins could finish every year where they're predicted to finish.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Bylsma is a great guy, but when coaches have a brutal achilles heel thats been validated time and time again.. its time to consider alternatives.

At the end of the day, you don't employ head coaches because they are nice guys.. you employ them to win hockey games. Bylsma frequently gets outcoached and outstrategized during crunch time. Not hatin' just being honest.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I prefer the Scotty Bowman approach to the DB player's best friend one. Steve Shutt said something like "You hated him for 364 days a year and then you collected your Stanley Cup ring on the 365th" about Scotty Bowman.

I actually felt worse about DB as the coach after reading that article. The guy has so little coaching experience. It's hard to believe Shero will let him coach the two best players in the league through their primes unless he rapidly gets better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How come Bylsma will bench Dustin Brown but he won't bench Craig Adams?

Because Brown doesn't play for his club team in the NHL, and Bylsma doesn't have to be buddies with him the rest of the season.

It's the same reason why he will bench Brown for sub par play, but continued to play Orpik despite Orpik being the worst defenseman on the ice for Team USA.

His usage of Orpik is actually another thing that still concerns me about Bylsma's returning to coach the Pens. He clearly has not learned from his previous year mistakes, and continues to play his favorites no matter how bad they are.

At least if he'd benched Orpik, or used Orpik as the 7th defenseman, it would be a sign he's moving away from his blind favoritism when there are better options available. But nope, same ol' Dan.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hockey-s-olympic-embarrassment-231757389.html

You guys are going to love this article.

These USA games need to be separated, there is nothing embarrassing about a 1-0 loss to one of the most talented teams in hockey history.

This article lost a ton of credibility with this quote.

Yes, the score was 1-0; but watching it, the semifinal was the largest margin of victory in a 1-goal game I’ve ever seen.

He obviously didn't remember Canada's last 2 games before they played USA.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think the lack of scoring had more to do with personnel than coaching

Pretty much.

Today against Finland Patrick Kane had two breakaways and Pacioretty had one. DB can't go out there and put the puck in the net for them. Patrick Kane in particular was just snakebite all tournament long. He failed to score a single goal despite having plenty of chances.

The U.S. just doesn't have the depth of high end skill that Canada has. Canada can get away with Crosby not doing much. The U.S. can't get away with Kane not scoring a goal or Parise not producing as well as he's capable of either.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Penguinzilla*

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hockey-s-olympic-embarrassment-231757389.html

You guys are going to love this article.

These USA games need to be separated, there is nothing embarrassing about a 1-0 loss to one of the most talented teams in hockey history.

This article lost a ton of credibility with this quote.

Yes, the score was 1-0; but watching it, the semifinal was the largest margin of victory in a 1-goal game I’ve ever seen.

He obviously didn't remember Canada's last 2 games before they played USA.

Greg Wyshynski is an idiot and a known Penguins/Crosby hater, and Ovechkin lover. He sneaks anti-Penguins stuff into as many articles as possible. Don't ever read his crap.

What happened was simple: USA wanted to win he Gold, they didn't. They weren't that interested in the Bronze and didn't show up.

I hate Bylsma but this wasn't his fault. They lost 1-0 to the most talented team maybe ever. Quick blew. Kane missed two penalty shots. It wasn't meant to be.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Greg Wyshynski is an idiot and a known Penguins/Crosby hater, and Ovechkin lover. He sneaks anti-Penguins stuff into as many articles as possible. Don't ever read his crap.

What happened was simple: USA wanted to win he Gold, they didn't. They weren't that interested in the Bronze and didn't show up.

I hate Bylsma but this wasn't his fault. They lost 1-0 to the most talented team maybe ever. Quick blew. Kane missed two penalty shots. It wasn't meant to be.

Weak sauce. Sorry.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5610131-74/bylsma-game-finland#axzz2u6YHj0ZD

Dejan article pretty much sums it up. DB is clearly trying his best. But Shero is attaching himself at the hip to the guy by backing him in Pittsburgh and for Team USA, and that's what I can't figure out. Clearly those comments by the players do not reflect well on the coaches.

A snippet from the article:

Still, that doesn't pardon the stubbornness of sticking by the same system, the same lines, even the same exhausted goaltender in Quick when Ryan Miller was available.

“I won't second-guess that,” Bylsma said of starting Quick.

Of course he won't. He didn't second-guess anything that went awry here. He apparently didn't learn from any mistakes, either. Or adjust when it looked like the opponent might have had a superior strategy, such as, say, Jonathan Toews utterly smothering Phil Kessel despite Bylsma holding last change.

The bolded parts are eerily similar with his coaching of the Penguins. His stubborn refusal to change/adjust is going to kill the Pens again in the playoffs. I've thought that ever since last season's playoffs, and he did nothing at the Olympics to change my opinion of that. If anything, his performance at the Olympics supported that belief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad