News Article: Michael Farber on Dan Bylsma

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
@DV

True, but that's not what I was getting at. They haven't won anything with their strategy and that's why I don't like it. Its all well and good for continuity, but eventually that kind of culture goes stale and a change is necessary.

That was also true of David Poile's Washington Capitals back in the day. They were regular-season beasts.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh, I don't think Bylsma will last here much longer without another cup. I don't think people thought the writing was on the wall for Therrien when he went... the same year he signed an extention and had the Pens in the SCF the previous season, and Eddie O was more of a "Family" coach than Bylsma ever was... drafted in the same class as Lemieux and played on the Pens for a while... or Kehoe was for that matter...

I don't see Bylsma as a terrible coach, but I absolutely see him as having plateaued for now. An accounting background combined with the ex-grinder mentality makes perfect sense for his current shortcomings. 43 is still quite young... he could adapt, but coaches rarely do. I think if he doesn't pull it all together this season any faltering next season will lead to his replacement.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
DB needs to learn along the way and apply what he learns. For some here he doesn't apply what he learns from trial and error, and makes the same mistakes over and over. He's not perfect, but neither is any given coach in the league, but he seems stubborn and arrogant for some of his philosophies for sure. He's has cracked that a bit here or there though, and has surprised us.

Treat this as another thing to just let play out, his own doing will make him longer tenured or a scapegoat. The life of a head coach, he'll be here one day and on another team, some day. When..? Ah..ha... Great question.

Until then. Good luck, DB. You've had your share of ups and downs.

Lets hope he has some more ups for his family, himself, the Pens Org., and us fans.

Go USA..!, Go Pens..!, Go DB...!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh, I don't think Bylsma will last here much longer without another cup. I don't think people thought the writing was on the wall for Therrien when he went... the same year he signed an extention and had the Pens in the SCF the previous season, and Eddie O was more of a "Family" coach than Bylsma ever was... drafted in the same class as Lemieux and played on the Pens for a while... or Kehoe was for that matter...

I don't see Bylsma as a terrible coach, but I absolutely see him as having plateaued for now. An accounting background combined with the ex-grinder mentality makes perfect sense for his current shortcomings. 43 is still quite young... he could adapt, but coaches rarely do. I think if he doesn't pull it all together this season any faltering next season will lead to his replacement.

The players love, DB. That's the difference.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We were also struggling mightily in the regular season when MT got fired. We will never struggle in the regular season like that with this current roster. The only time DB could get fired with this group is after a post-season disappointment but he's survived a number of them already and even got an extension.

Shero also learned under David Poile who seems to believe in stability and has only had one coach in Nashville. I think Shero also believes in that for better or worse.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We were also struggling mightily in the regular season when MT got fired. We will never struggle in the regular season like that with this current roster. The only time DB could get fired with this group is after a post-season disappointment but he's survived a number of them already and even got an extension.

Shero also learned under David Poile who seems to believe in stability and has only had one coach in Nashville. I think Shero also believes in that for better or worse.

More than anything, I think it boils down to Shero thinking as highly of DB as most of the GMs, coaches, and players around the league do.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
More than anything, I think it boils down to Shero thinking as highly of DB as most of the GMs, coaches, and players around the league do.

But again lets look at the ultimate can do no wrong man from recent franchise history... Craig Patrick... He was basically promised a lifetime job by Lemieux then fired when fired when things weren't playing out as planned. This franchise even replaced player favorite Eddie Johnson twice. I think the idea that they will settle for postseason mediocrity is just paranoia. If Bylsma adapts and wins great, if he doesn't a move will be made.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But again lets look at the ultimate can do no wrong man from recent franchise history... Craig Patrick... He was basically promised a lifetime job by Lemieux then fired when fired when things weren't playing out as planned. This franchise even replaced player favorite Eddie Johnson twice. I think the idea that they will settle for postseason mediocrity is just paranoia. If Bylsma adapts and wins great, if he doesn't a move will be made.

Making it to the conference final is not post-season mediocrity though, no matter how you define it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah but that's the same CP that was forced to make the Zubov for Hatcher trade, had Rex and Lemieux calling FA they thought would fit and had to deal with a coach killing star. He didn't really look bad until he had to make trades for money to keep the team from drowning. Was he perfect no but he wasn't really allowed to make hockey deals for a time. My only real gripe with him during his era was player development... and I'm not really sure if that falls on him.

Maybe Disco will have a long shelf life because people understand that he's not really the coach he wants to be but more the coach the Pens want him to be.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Craig forced their hand. Wasn't running a modern operation and made no effort to do so. David Morehouse is probably not the type who will be kosher when a President level employee's grandkids run amock around the offices while he takes a nap in his chair during business hours.

Michael8771*

I sincerely hope so.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I do not see the conflict between the opinions here, and the opinions around the league as expressed in that article, as you seem to.

I do not think that the criticism and frustration with Bylsma is because he is seen as an incompetent coach. That would be easy. The frustrations are because he is seen as a coach who could be great except for a couple of issues, which both seem to stem from stubborness more than anything else. The classic Greek hero tragedy flaw, hubris. Oedipus was seen as in almost every way the very best of men, better than all others in almost every way. Did not stop him from shacking up with Mommy. Simply because he did not believe that he could do wrong, all he had to do was get to his game.

Simple question.

Has Bylsma's stubborn refusal to make in game adjustments in the playoffs and with choices regarding lines and who to play and who to sit cost the team in the playoffs in previous years? If you agree you are looking at the frustration expressed on this board. None of which calls Bylsma a bad coach or stupid, quite the opposite. Which is why we are so frustrated.

@DV

True, but that's not what I was getting at. They haven't won anything with their strategy and that's why I don't like it. Its all well and good for continuity, but eventually that kind of culture goes stale and a change is necessary.

You guys are preaching to the choir. I am not a Disco Disciple -- the guy drives me nuts much of the time with his stubborn approach to certain things. What I'm saying is, all these opinions we here have, the hockey people outside of Pittsburgh don't have. They don't perceive those weaknesses (or if they do they're doing great work selling us on a snow-job). They perceive a very savvy, smart coach who does not have any obvious flaws. At least to hear the sports writers from varying venues tell it, they do.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Gotta get back to the final sometime RRP. How many years do we give him?

I want to know this as well. When is enough enough? Every year that passes and they don't at least make it to the finals, let alone win it all, is a disappointment while we are in Crosby's and Malkin's prime.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Dan Bylsma is a really good coach. If he didn't frustrate the hell out of me I wouldn't be a real Pittsburgh sports fan.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
The thing is, Bylsma is a good coach. Not the best, but good.

Ray Shero is not a GM who makes changes just to shake things up. For him to fire Bylsma, not only does there need to be disappointment with his results, but there has to be a replacement available that Shero thinks it's better.

For the most part, all the coaches out there that are better are already employed.

I'd hate to see Bylsma be fired and replaced by someone worse, wouldn't you?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The thing is, Bylsma is a good coach. Not the best, but good.

Ray Shero is not a GM who makes changes just to shake things up. For him to fire Bylsma, not only does there need to be disappointment with his results, but there has to be a replacement available that Shero thinks it's better.

For the most part, all the coaches out there that are better are already employed.

I'd hate to see Bylsma be fired and replaced by someone worse, wouldn't you?

If the new guy emphasizes playing to the strengths of our best players (i.e. Crosby and Malkin), and not Craig Adams' strengths, how can he be worse?

Also, Shero's not invincible either. If he's hitched his wagon to Bylsma for the rest of his Pens career, then they could both go.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If the new guy emphasizes playing to the strengths of our best players (i.e. Crosby and Malkin), and not Craig Adams' strengths, how can he be worse?

Also, Shero's not invincible either. If he's hitched his wagon to Bylsma for the rest of his Pens career, then they could both go.

For any GM to hitch his wagon to one coach in the NHL seems pretty stupid.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Good article.

I think DB is the most-prepared coach in the league, which leads to his determination to never deviate from the plan. I know that infuriates a lot of people about him, but when you are convinced you have considered every possible angle and you've concluded that Option A is your very best chance to win, you are a lot less likely than some unprepared hack to move on to Option B when you don't have immediate success.

Of course, that leads to a ton of second-guessing when things go wrong. If you don't try Option B, there's not much of a defense when people suggest that Option B would have resulted in a better outcome.

You're damned if you vary from the gameplan, you're damned if you don't.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA

And isn't there enough complaints around here right now about a "country club" atmosphere? Do we want a coach to come in here and cater to the stars even more?

I know you're talking about strategy, but do we want a Ron Wilson to come in and open everything up and try to win games 6-5?

Bylsma overplays Adams. This is a fact. But any other coach is going to have his own issues, too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gotta get back to the final sometime RRP. How many years do we give him?

That's a reasonable position, but just because a team doesn't make the Finals doesn't mean it's mediocre. Making the Conference Finals is an elite result. Only 4 teams do it any given year.

I want to know this as well. When is enough enough? Every year that passes and they don't at least make it to the finals, let alone win it all, is a disappointment while we are in Crosby's and Malkin's prime.

Why is it Bylsma that takes the fall if the Pens don't get results? He hasn't been the primary cause of most of our playoff losses over the years. Fleury has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad