News Article: Michael Farber on Dan Bylsma

member 51464

Bylsma's absolute refusal to take advantage of last change is what annoys me most about him. Even moreso than some of the more often complained about traits.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
A snippet from the article:

The bolded parts are eerily similar with his coaching of the Penguins. His stubborn refusal to change/adjust is going to kill the Pens again in the playoffs. I've thought that ever since last season's playoffs, and he did nothing at the Olympics to change my opinion of that. If anything, his performance at the Olympics supported that belief.

Parise and Suter taking shots.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I prefer the Scotty Bowman approach to the DB player's best friend one. Steve Shutt said something like "You hated him for 364 days a year and then you collected your Stanley Cup ring on the 365th" about Scotty Bowman.

I actually felt worse about DB as the coach after reading that article. The guy has so little coaching experience. It's hard to believe Shero will let him coach the two best players in the league through their primes unless he rapidly gets better.

And I didn't think it was even possible.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Aside from Team USA being another example of a Dan Bylsma coached team that killed it before the games really counted and then wet the bed against equal or superior opponents in crunch time, I am loathe to read too much into what happened at the Olympics. Oh, the bench management and adjustments too, but I digress.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
This writing is so beautiful. This is what I see myself doing one day.
On a side note, it is very nice to be able to emphasize with the guy. He is very stubborn and love his grinders for a reason.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I think we saw it again. Bylsma can´t adjust. The games until the Semifinal were the Regular Season and the team Bylsma coached looked great, just like the Pens.

But when they ran into a better coached team, the fun ended. As soon as a Bylsma coached team runs into a team that plays well defensively, it is over. Just like it is with our Pens unfortunately.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I hope RS finally realizes or even contemplates the fact that DB is a joke and that he belongs in the AHL. I remember Steigy/Errey commenting that the new DB offence (his 1st full year as coach) was primarily shooting the puck at the goalies pads in hopes of burying a rebound. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I prefer the Scotty Bowman approach to the DB player's best friend one. Steve Shutt said something like "You hated him for 364 days a year and then you collected your Stanley Cup ring on the 365th" about Scotty Bowman.

I actually felt worse about DB as the coach after reading that article. The guy has so little coaching experience. It's hard to believe Shero will let him coach the two best players in the league through their primes unless he rapidly gets better.

I think that's one thing Disco gets right. Bowmen doing that would never last with todays bratty players. Plus the Pens would never have his back.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I think that's one thing Disco gets right. Bowmen doing that would never last with todays bratty players. Plus the Pens would never have his back.

If Bowman coached the Pens and they won a cup, it wouldn't matter what the "bratty" players thought of him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Eh. I understand what you're saying. Keenan or Constantine's hardass routine seems to wear out a lot more quickly than it would have a generation ago (Therrien's already on thin ice).

But Babcock's still kicking in Detroit and has a second gold medal for his collection now. And Lindy Ruff's not exactly a guy who slaps backs and shows up at the St Patty's day cookout at Jordie Benn's house.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I don't watch football anymore, but he (sort of) reminds me of Wade Phillips.
He's not smug/arrogant. I think he understands X's and O's pretty well, to a certain degree.
But there is just something about him I don't trust when it comes to clutch time. Has he ever really taken a chance, as far as strategy, line changes, etc. - just to generate something, with a game on the line?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
In defense of DB in the Bronze game, the game was over when McDonough and Suter in a 20 second span let in two goals. Quick was helpless on both goals. Then, Kane missed two penalty, please don't blame DB for this

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Bylsma's biggest flaw is he can't read players and wants to pamper as many of them as possible while on occasion picking out 1 or 2 that he thinks don't play the game the way he thinks they should.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's funny that people don't see Bylsma as arrogant/smug. To me, he's the epitome of smug/arrogant when he's behind the bench. He always seems to have that look that says, "my system works, and I'll prove it to you". Except when something goes awry, then he has a deer-in-the-headlights look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad