Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd be trying to sell high and use him as a trade chip right now.

Good junior goalie but 6'0 starting goalies basically don't exist in 2018.
Well Jonathan Quick is 6'1" and Marc Andre Fleury is 6'2"......and they have a few rings.....I realize that hockey is a game of inches, but is that one inch going to make a ton of difference?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He will be a very good backup goalie, Andrew Raycroft won the Calder once.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well Jonathan Quick is 6'1" and Marc Andre Fleury is 6'2"......and they have a few rings.....I realize that hockey is a game of inches, but is that one inch going to make a ton of difference?

Halak is 5'11
Jimmy Howard is 6'1 (of course they didn't make the playoffs)

among other elite sub 6'0 feet goalies Turco and Hasek 5'11, but none the less a nice goalie in our system.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd be trying to sell high and use him as a trade chip right now.

Good junior goalie but 6'0 starting goalies basically don't exist in 2018.

Sell high and get what? A late 2nd round pick?

Do 6'0" starting goalies basically don't exist based on capabilities or team preferences?

Would Hasek not be a good #1 goaltender in today's NHL? Would Evgeni Nabokov in his prime not be good enough to be a starting goalie in today's NHL?

Antti Raanta looks pretty good.

I think at the end of the day, it's about stopping the puck. Do I think size matters? I do. It likely connects to Dipietro's style of play which seems to be the bigger question mark than his size from what I have read.

Dipietro has been great at the level he has played thus far. Does it guarantee anything? No it does not. But unless you're getting a 1st round pick or talent for him, it's pointless to trade him after you decided to draft him with an early 3rd round pick. In terms of time line, he also fits in great with Demko almost certainly graduating to the NHL by the time Dipietro arrives in the AHL.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
DiPietro was one of the best value picks we could make in that early third round (we would have likely selected Rathbone had he not been there). It's nice to have multiple goalie prospects on the team to be honest, goalie is too fickle of a position to go back to Joe Cannata being the best young goalie we have not in the NHL

I do like how we complain about us drafting two pretty good goalie prospects when our track record has been Honzik, Cannata, Illhati, Clark from '08 to '12...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Why the hell would we trade him now, thank god some of you arent GMs
It makes no sense. It hasnt been one year since we drafted him plus he is tracking well and like others mentioned your not gonna get big value in a goalie prospect trade asthe uncertainty from other teams would be high. We drafted him for a reason and he has done better then expectations... time to start grooming him imo with AHL in his sights for 2019-20

Reactions: MarkMM

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
He has a pretty good wingspan for his size too doesn't he ? I don't really have too many concerns for his size

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It makes no sense. It hasnt been one year since we drafted him plus he is tracking well and like others mentioned your not gonna get big value in a goalie prospect trade asthe uncertainty from other teams would be high. We drafted him for a reason and he has done better then expectations... time to start grooming him imo with AHL in his sights for 2019-20
Mark this for th first time in history when M2B outsmart MS

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why the hell would we trade him now, thank god some of you arent GMs

Because this could very likely be his peak value (i.e before he hits the pro ranks) and we could maybe parlay him into something we need way more, like a 19/20 year old D prospect tracking similarly well.

It's something we need to be open to if it helps address an even greater need in the organization. If we didn't have a 22 year old Demko who has jumped through 4 more years of development hoops than DiPietro I would be much more hesitant, but we do have Demko, and we don't have even close to enough quality D prospects.

Reactions: Zombotron

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol, that response was predictable.

I'm not saying just dump him for anything. I'm saying that - especially given that we have a youngish starting goalie and a top goalie prospect ready to step into the NHL - I'd have a look and see what he's worth. If you could get back a quality young defender worth ~a 2nd round pick, you do it. If not of course keep him.

And yeah, his size will be an issue. Out of 31 starters in the NHL last year, the only one under 6'1 was Halak who is a very fringe starter. Quick is the 2nd smallest at 6'1. Dipietro is an inch smaller than that and is going to have to be a bit of a unicorn to excel at this level at that size.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There's something special about this kid. I don't know if he's destined to be a NHL starter but everything I've seen of this kid I like. He seems to have that special psychology that makes a kid a winner and a leader. I haven't seen a whole lot of him playing but I'm impressed with what I've seen of him. I think he'll at least be a NHL journeyman.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I really don't see how we would get good value in this situation. The market for established goalies already sucks as is, it's probably significantly worse for prospect goalies and I can't remember the last prospect goalie that was the centerpiece of a trade.

He's a fine player but I always maintained that we could've done something better with this pick. Demko is clearly a far better prospect.

If we can get decent enough value, I'd gladly dump him, but I have my doubts.

Trade to Canes for... Roland McKeown?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Well, we.'re in need now, and any other ppl in mind?

For the last 4 seasons we've targeted guys who could step in sooner: Pedan, Etem, Vey, Pouliot, Baertschi, Granlund, and the upside has been incredibly limited as almost all of these guys were known entities in their D+4 or later seasons.

If we had just stayed the course over the last 4 and drafted a bunch of 18 year olds with all those picks we shipped out we'd be seeing them impacting our NHL roster NOW.

The more we keep saying trash like "we're in need now, let's trade for lower upside assets" the longer we're going to running on the treadmill of mediocrity.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Well, we.'re in need now, and any other ppl in mind?

If I didn't have to leave in 5 minutes, I'd look harder.

If we can't land a Cam Dineen or Josh Mahura type (first two examples that popped into my mind), I don't think I'd pull the trigger. David Farrance might not be a bad idea, but there's no way we'd trade for someone we could've drafted instead of DiPietro. I would trade him for a 2nd as well.

Guys like that have more upside than McKeown in my eyes and we need to target higher-upside assets.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
For the last 4 seasons we've targeted guys who could step in sooner: Pedan, Etem, Vey, Pouliot, Baertschi, Granlund, and the upside has been incredibly limited as almost all of these guys were known entities in their D+4 or later seasons.

If we had just stayed the course over the last 4 and drafted a bunch of 18 year olds with all those picks we shipped out we'd be seeing them impacting our NHL roster NOW.

The more we keep saying trash like "we're in need now, let's trade for lower upside assets" the longer we're going to running on the treadmill of mediocrity.

The difference is:

Those player's upsides are pretty limited and I feel McKeown hasn't peaked. (He's shown steady improvement)

I'm not looking to trade any pick.

The goal of the trade is to bolster prospects in a position, not age. (The person responded to me and said he wanted someone younger - I didn't bring it up, he did. I don't think it has any bearing considering the team's current status.)

Those trades for dmen weren't bad.

I just lofted out a player I thought was reasonably same value, but a right handed Dman on a team with lots of Dmen. If you can think of anyone else, fire away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad