Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
14 - 0 and then this. Ow. I'm sorry, Ottawa. That's it for DiPietro's junior career, too

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
wow...in case anyone thought DiPietro didn't make a difference
That's absolutely insane.

Even though I live here I'll admit I hadn't been playing close attention. The one game I attended this year DiPietro sat out (although the 67s won). That's a crazy level of turnaround.

I guess it technically bodes well for the Canucks, though.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I note that Jordan Binnington is listed at 6'1" and 175.....I'd be satisfied if DiPietro could at least replicate his success as a similar sized goalie.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I note that Jordan Binnington is listed at 6'1" and 175.....I'd be satisfied if DiPietro could at least replicate his success as a similar sized goalie.

Let's just hope that he does it sooner than his D+8 season...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Where is Dipietro going to play next year?

Canucks still have Backman under contract, signed Zane McIntyre as well. Those two will be in the AHL. Canucks signed Kielly as well so he will be in the echl. Will Dipietro start in the Echl as well?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Totally agreed, I just really do not like it when people discount how unbelievably good Luongo was and use him as a negative comparison. If DiPietro is exactly like Luongo, we'd be set for the next decade in goal.

...but we won't win anything....

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Canucks still have Backman under contract, signed Zane McIntyre as well. Those two will be in the AHL. Canucks signed Kielly as well so he will be in the echl. Will Dipietro start in the Echl as well?

I’d like to believe that it depends how he plays. It should be somewhat of an open competition for goalies. If DiPietro is not good enough to be the AHL starter, he should be the ECHL starter. No issue there to start, call him up as soon as he dominates.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’d like to believe that it depends how he plays. It should be somewhat of an open competition for goalies. If DiPietro is not good enough to be the AHL starter, he should be the ECHL starter. No issue there to start, call him up as soon as he dominates.

I personally think that goalies develop mostly outside of games. Obviously I'm not saying that they can develop without starting any games, but I think a lot of development happens in practice.

Dipietro doesn't have to start a lot of games to start. He can bide his time. But it would be a bit troubling if he isn't an AHL calibre goalie.

Reactions: travis scott

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It is interesting that Brock the OHL guru stated that DiPietro’s season was broken down into a great first half followed by a poor second half which was directly followed with his shelling with the Canucks.

I point this out because many of the usual Benning apologists on here were pretty adamant that the shelling wouldn’t have any developmental effect on DiPietro which seems a bit questionable given Brock’s take.

member 290103

It is interesting that Brock the OHL guru stated that DiPietro’s season was broken down into a great first half followed by a poor second half which was directly followed with his shelling with the Canucks.

I point this out because many of the usual Benning apologists on here were pretty adamant that the shelling wouldn’t have any developmental effect on DiPietro which seems a bit questionable given Brock’s take.

Benning. The name makes you shake your head automatically upon hearing it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Need 2 vets because they have Demko a nhl rookie and dipietro a rookie in likely the A. Ideally put him in the A.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I have my doubts that Bachman will be ready for the season after tearing his ACL mid-season last year. He's only barely ahead of Roussel in terms of rehab time.

Bachman was also looking not good at all before that injury and if Dipietro belongs in the AHL I can't see them trundling on with Bachman. Wouldn't be surprised to see them carry 3 goalies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I've said before, if Dipietro's development is affected by that one game with the Canucks when he wasn't NHL ready and wasn't expected to be NHL ready then he's unlikely to amount to anything in the NHL. Mental toughness and ability to bounce back after a bad goal or bad game is of utmost importance for a goaltender.

I'm not sure about Dipietro having a poor second half. If I remember correctly, he wasn't as sharp when he came back from the WJC? Regardless, he went undefeated in the playoffs before his season ended so clearly he finished the second half/last part of the season strong.

I would hope that he comes away from his NHL experience going "Wow that was an amazing experience. I still have a ways to go but I'm going to continue to work on my game and be better prepared next time I have that opportunity to play in an NHL game." If his confidence is crushed then he's got issues. Ryan Miller had some issues adjusting to the NHL and that's when he was considered the best goaltender in the AHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I have my doubts that Bachman will be ready for the season after tearing his ACL mid-season last year. He's only barely ahead of Roussel in terms of rehab time.

Bachman was also looking not good at all before that injury and if Dipietro belongs in the AHL I can't see them trundling on with Bachman. Wouldn't be surprised to see them carry 3 goalies.

Strange thing about Bachman. He was actually sitting int5he stands during the last few games and he told a couple of the fans that he was hoping for the Comets to make the playoffs because he would be ready.

I found that to be unreal. He was injured in a game on 12/21. Was helped off the ice. The season ended on 4/14. That's not even 4 full months and he was ready to go?

I haven't bothered to go into the medical investigation as to the various degrees of an Achilles tear and it's healing and rehab because i wasn't and still aren't all that concerned. He will be ready when he's ready. The bigger question is when he's ready will he be good enough to challenge for the job and earn his substantial salary.

I like him as a person. he is really a great guy and family man, but that's not enough when it comes to backstopping the Comets. You are the best of the 4 or you are2nd best and backup. 3&4 need to find a place to play and be ready for a recall.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Strange thing about Bachman. He was actually sitting int5he stands during the last few games and he told a couple of the fans that he was hoping for the Comets to make the playoffs because he would be ready.

I found that to be unreal. He was injured in a game on 12/21. Was helped off the ice. The season ended on 4/14. That's not even 4 full months and he was ready to go?

I haven't bothered to go into the medical investigation as to the various degrees of an Achilles tear and it's healing and rehab because i wasn't and still aren't all that concerned. He will be ready when he's ready. The bigger question is when he's ready will he be good enough to challenge for the job and earn his substantial salary.

I like him as a person. he is really a great guy and family man, but that's not enough when it comes to backstopping the Comets. You are the best of the 4 or you are2nd best and backup. 3&4 need to find a place to play and be ready for a recall.

Ah, yeah, it was an Achilles. My bad as I said above it was an ACL.

Either way ... yeah. He seems like a great team guy but wasn't very good last year and it's hard to imagine he'll be better after a major injury and a year older. Might be worth it just to carry him as a 3rd goalie and break him into some goalie coaching with the young guys.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ah, yeah, it was an Achilles. My bad as I said above it was an ACL.

Either way ... yeah. He seems like a great team guy but wasn't very good last year and it's hard to imagine he'll be better after a major injury and a year older. Might be worth it just to carry him as a 3rd goalie and break him into some goalie coaching with the young guys.

I agree.

Who knows, older guys sometimes have a last kick. Rollie had some good games with the old Utica Devils on his last go round. LOL

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
the kind of anything that excludes division titles, presidents trophies, and playoff rounds?

or the kind of anything that includes trades that net us markus granlund?

No, you see, Luongo was of the tier of goalies to be good enough to win 15 playoff games, but definitely impossible for him to win 16. Takes a totally different player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Case in point, let's stick the 5th overall pick on a AHL club with no decent AHL D vets and let him develop on his own (lucky for him, he got injured alot and didn't have to put up with ECHL types as mentors).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've said before, if Dipietro's development is affected by that one game with the Canucks when he wasn't NHL ready and wasn't expected to be NHL ready then he's unlikely to amount to anything in the NHL. Mental toughness and ability to bounce back after a bad goal or bad game is of utmost importance for a goaltender.

I'm not sure about Dipietro having a poor second half. If I remember correctly, he wasn't as sharp when he came back from the WJC? Regardless, he went undefeated in the playoffs before his season ended so clearly he finished the second half/last part of the season strong.

I would hope that he comes away from his NHL experience going "Wow that was an amazing experience. I still have a ways to go but I'm going to continue to work on my game and be better prepared next time I have that opportunity to play in an NHL game." If his confidence is crushed then he's got issues. Ryan Miller had some issues adjusting to the NHL and that's when he was considered the best goaltender in the AHL.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think there's something to be said about it being his first ever NHL game. When you do something important for the first time in your life, it is a memorable experience, for better or worse. That experience will stick with him for a long time. It's mainly the way that game unfolded, though. San Jose dominated right out of the gate and at no point in time did we ever have a chance at winning that game. The team basically gave up on DiPietro from the start (not in terms of 'mailing it in', but because of the mismatch in quality of teams because Wilson built a contender and Benning built a bottom feeder with no goalie depth to account for the situation).

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I agree to a certain extent, but I think there's something to be said about it being his first ever NHL game. When you do something important for the first time in your life, it is a memorable experience, for better or worse. That experience will stick with him for a long time. It's mainly the way that game unfolded, though. San Jose dominated right out of the gate and at no point in time did we ever have a chance at winning that game. The team basically gave up on DiPietro from the start (not in terms of 'mailing it in', but because of the mismatch in quality of teams because Wilson built a contender and Benning built a bottom feeder with no goalie depth to account for the situation).
How many weeks did Jethro had to find a temporary/stopgap backup when Demko was hurt?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Case in point, let's stick the 5th overall pick on a AHL club with no decent AHL D vets and let him develop on his own (lucky for him, he got injured alot and didn't have to put up with ECHL types as mentors).

Have you looked at what is currently making up the Comets D?

You guys have seen Sautner and Brisebois. They are still AHL D-men growing into better players and maybe a shot at bottom 6 in Vancouver.

If you have watched any AHL TV you might have seen Blujus. He is a solid AHL defensive D-man on an AHL contract because no NHL team has been influenced to make him an offer.

Unfortunately the smoke blown up the Vancouver mass rectal pore allowed Chatfield a call-up, but it was only to hope you would sip some Kool-Aid. They didn't dare let you see him play. He was still having big problems in the AHL and then injuries limited him to 34 games. He is nowhere close to Ashton or Guillaume and they are still not as good as McEneny was on 1 leg.

The rest of this year's group is 4 rookies and Juolevi still meets the criteria for AHL rookie. This D-corps is a mess. They need to allow Breezy and Ash to play together and then need two very good experienced d-men to work with all of the rookies and Blujus becomes the first sub in for anyone that goes down and don't mess up the other 2 pairs. A couple of these rookies need to go to the Zoo where they can play every night taking a regular shift and taking a turn at either killing penalties or PP duty or both if showing they belong there. Sitting in the wings is no place for them and learning by the seat of their pants at the AHL level without adequate coverage is suicide and mismanagement of rookie deployment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad