Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The funny thing is last night when I saw how that game went down I was wondering how many people would come in here blaming him, I’m pleasantly surprised it’s only one, the guy mad like 40 saves in the game he’s not the issue

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
He did play well no doubt. But once again society is trying to put the team performance in the grey . There is no grey area in sports you win or you lose. Black and White. and at the end of the day he let in two goals and the Finnish goalie let in one. That is a fact.

I'm assuming that you'd take 1997-1998 Chris Osgood over Dominik Hasek? Osgood had a better win-loss record that year and won the Stanley Cup, so he must be a better goalie according to your criteria.

TheFang

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver
I mean, he made it pretty clear. He considers luongos mental toughness a problem and saw the same problem with DiPietro. Whether you agree or not, he compared no other facet of his game to luongos.

I really hate the mental toughness "problem" that people perceive Luongo to have. What other goalie has managed to bear the burden that he had to when he was here and performed to such a excellent level?

Additionally, canuckfan75 LITERALLY typed "the way he plays" as well as mental aspect.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Do people really think that Luongo is not a sure-fire Hall of Famer?

There's literally 1 goalie in history who has played in 20 or more seasons and has a SV% better than Luongo's. Ironically, considering Luongo's reputation, his consistency year in and year out makes him special and definitely the greatest goalie to have ever played for the Canucks.

Certain posters here would argue that Eddie Lack outplayed him and was the better goalie. :popcorn:

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
My fandom for Dipietro how grown and grown throughout this tournament. It's rare in this tournament for Canada to have a goalie that you have real confidence in, and that I had in Mikey. When the puck drops, he looks completely dialled in. His compete level is there, and I love his demeanour in interviews.

Suddenly we have good-to-great organizational goalie depth. It's been a while!

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I'm assuming that you'd take 1997-1998 Chris Osgood over Dominik Hasek? Osgood had a better win-loss record that year and won the Stanley Cup, so he must be a better goalie according to your criteria.

No Hasek won MVP and Multiple Vezina"s and a Stanley Cup

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Everyone relax. It is just my opinion. No need to come with the torches. It is just my observations. we will see how it plays out.

Reactions: WTG

TheFang

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver
Everyone relax. It is just my opinion. No need to come with the torches. It is just my observations. we will see how it plays out.

Totally agreed, I just really do not like it when people discount how unbelievably good Luongo was and use him as a negative comparison. If DiPietro is exactly like Luongo, we'd be set for the next decade in goal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Totally agreed, I just really do not like it when people discount how unbelievably good Luongo was and use him as a negative comparison. If DiPietro is exactly like Luongo, we'd be set for the next decade in goal.

Yes. Having a durable goaltender who can give you good goaltending season to season and in the playoffs is a rare commodity. Luongo at least got the durability and season to season consistently right.

To me, Dipietro has had a fine junior career and I think his WJC performance enhanced his reputation. He's a good goalie prospect who may be the next Jonathan Quick.

Reactions: Canucks1096

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pronman: 2018-19 midseason NHL prospects ranking
hoNhk5d.png

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Does anybody know what's happening with DiPietro lately?

Cedrick Andree is getting the net a fair bit with DiPietro the backup.

MDP was traded to Ottawa on December 4 and has only played 6 games. Some of that of course is that he was away at the WJC, but he isn't getting the net regularly.

His stats in his 6 games with Ottawa aren't good at all. He has 6 games, a 3.48 GAA, an .874 save percentage and has won 4 and lost 2 with the powerhouse 67's who overall are 35-9-1.

Andree's stats are 2.50 GAA, .912 save percentage and a w/l record of 28-4-1.

Is there anybody who is following the situation and knows whether this is just random luck in a small sample, is MDP fighting an injury or illness or is Andree outplaying him? I'm asking the question to see if someone knows and can tell us, not to encourage speculation.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Does anybody know what's happening with DiPietro lately?

Cedrick Andree is getting the net a fair bit with DiPietro the backup.

MDP was traded to Ottawa on December 4 and has only played 6 games. Some of that of course is that he was away at the WJC, but he isn't getting the net regularly.

His stats in his 6 games with Ottawa aren't good at all. He has 6 games, a 3.48 GAA, an .874 save percentage and has won 4 and lost 2 with the powerhouse 67's who overall are 35-9-1.

Andree's stats are 2.50 GAA, .912 save percentage and a w/l record of 28-4-1.

Is there anybody who is following the situation and knows whether this is just random luck in a small sample, is MDP fighting an injury or illness or is Andree outplaying him? I'm asking the question to see if someone knows and can tell us, not to encourage speculation.

They dont release injuries but there has been speculation of fatigue with Dipietro.

Its clear hes the #1 there but Cedric andree is a very capable backup. Thats probably the best 1-2 punch in net in all of CHL. Andree stood on his head i believe on the Friday game so he earned the back to back start which also allows Dipietro to get refereshed.

Ottawa is top 5 in best teams, not only in OHL but all off CHL.. they are expected to make a longg playoff run so having Dipietro fresh is something they are consciously trying to accomplish.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Unfortunate injury for Mikey today in game 2 of OHL finals. Looks like his knee buckled and got caught underneath him as he pushed off. I'd speculate a knee injury. Couldn't put any weight on.

That would the season for him if it's a lengthy injury as the Mem Cup starts on may 17th should they win the OHL.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
High Ankle Sprain alone is usually 4 to 6 weeks.

His season is likely done for sure, and selfishly I'd rather he heal properly in anticipation of rookie AHL season. However, given our player development's issues putting our players back into lineups too soon (see Woo)...

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

His season is likely done for sure, and selfishly I'd rather he heal properly in anticipation of rookie AHL season. However, given our player development's issues putting our players back into lineups too soon (see Woo)...
Woo didn’t play. He practised with Utica and then Told the team his knee was bugging him. An MRI revealed a minor issue

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

Yeah, that stuff about Woo is demonstrably false. Stuff like this bugs me because there is plenty of evidence for criticism of their player development without making stuff up.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Woo never played a single game for Utica
He got injured in his first practice

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Just so you know, Ottawa - they of the 14 - 0 run in the OHL playoffs - are now down 3 - 2 and facing elimination after DiPietro's injury. RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->