Confirmed with Link: Michael Del Zotto signs 2-year contract ($3.875 AAV) (7/16/2015)

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think what we're seeing is the real Del Zotto. He was given great leeway in New York under Tortorella and flourished. When Vigneault took over, Del Zotto didn't really get a fair shot and was moved to Nashville, where Trotz basically had no use for him. His confidence was shot and he didn't know what was expected of him. Philadelphia was the change of scenery he needed. I think the big thing is that Del Zotto knows what his specific role is (Berube often talks a lot about roles and what role each player fills) and he's given a bit of room in that if he makes an error, he's not going to have to worry about getting benched and then scratched.

As others have pointed out, I'm very interested to see a Del Zotto/Coburn pairing to see what they can do.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Better than I expected to date. The small sample size precludes any more of an opinion. Definitely way too early to even hint of future plans.

That being said, hopefully Hextall is getting an idea about the Dman market for when Coburn and MacDonald are set to return.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
Del Zotto's time in Nashville was just bizarre. I think he got about 5 minutes of power play time the entire 25 games. The first month he was there, he was good, and then it seemed Trotz just turned on him. When he started getting scratched people were just mystified.

There was one game that Trotz dressed 7 defensemen and he got about 3:00 of ice time, and an assist. Then he was right back in the pressbox for pretty much the rest of the season.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
he was outstanding the other night. has gotten better and better each game it seems like.

he's the kind of player that the more he plays, the better he plays.

...which is not surprising by any means. most players are like that. its tough to be a limited minutes/role player, it takes a different mindset. I dont think that MDZ is really cut out to be a 3rd pairing 11-14 minute guy. if that's the role you put him in, he won't be very effective. give him minutes, and he can help you.

MacD - Streit
MDZ - Coburn

I think that would be pretty solid tbh -- assuming MDZ keeps playing well (fingers crossed)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would go with:

MDZ/Coburn
MacDonald/Schenn (played pretty well together last year)
Streit/Grossman (Grossman has looked ok playing with Streit recently)

That gives you one mobile guy and one more shut down type on each pair. Obviously MDZ/Coburn are both mobile guys.

Edit: Assuming that Schultz is sent to the press box, which he may not really deserve but which would be my guess.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Del Zotto's time in Nashville was just bizarre. I think he got about 5 minutes of power play time the entire 25 games. The first month he was there, he was good, and then it seemed Trotz just turned on him. When he started getting scratched people were just mystified.

There was one game that Trotz dressed 7 defensemen and he got about 3:00 of ice time, and an assist. Then he was right back in the pressbox for pretty much the rest of the season.

Well Del Zotto wants to prove both the Rangers and Nashville wrong so that would be great if he has turned a corner with his commitment. Still too early to count the chickens...

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
To judge Del Zotto you really have to factor into his playing style. He is the kind of player that loves to get involved in the offensive end, take chances and generate offense. He's been successful in that regard this year and has been a plus for the team.

On the flip side, with those risks he takes he is sometimes in a trailing position on odd man rushes.

I think it is important that if the Flyers want to move forward with Del Zotto long term they are able to factor all this into the equation. His playing style is not suited for a 22-23 mins a game IMO as I think the risks that he takes will far outweigh the rewards in the long term. In a reduced 2nd pairing/PP role he can be successful

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
I would go with:

MDZ/Coburn

That gives you one mobile guy and one more shut down type on each pair. Obviously MDZ/Coburn are both mobile guys.

Edit: Assuming that Schultz is sent to the press box, which he may not really deserve but which would be my guess.

I was thinking the other night when Grossmann knocked down the Oiler player and Streit with one hit, "God I feel bad for Streit. He must just ****ing HATE playing with Grossmann"

I think for Mark's sake we need to get him away from the big lug haha. The difference in ability between those two players is staggering.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
I would go with:

MDZ/Coburn

That is actually how I would do it. I would assume Streit/Grossmann would get more time ES than Andy and Schenn though. Schultz has played okay lately too. I am hoping MDZ keeps it up and when Andy Mac comes back he doesn't F it up. Ive been hating on him a while and the defense has been better since he has been injured.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It seemed like during the first few games, every decision MDZ made to be aggressive and pinch, even when it was the right decision, ended up with a puck in the back of our net. Things have settled down nicely for him and he looks really good in all 3 zones.

Schultz is better than Grossmann and would be a better partner for Streit. Shame that won't happen.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was thinking the other night when Grossmann knocked down the Oiler player and Streit with one hit, "God I feel bad for Streit. He must just ****ing HATE playing with Grossmann"

I think for Mark's sake we need to get him away from the big lug haha. The difference in ability between those two players is staggering.

You can't have Grossman playing with Schenn though. That's really asking for trouble.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I feel like MDZ and Schultz being nice unexpected surprises inadvertedly highlights how completely terrible Holmgren was at managing this defense.

He gave Grossmann a no-trade clause?? And he traded who for Luke Schenn?? Both of whom, right now, are playing worse hockey than a couple of guys that the team just picked up off the scrapheap of free agency. If Carlos Cocacola ends up being healthy longer than we expected, that's another one to add to the list.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I would try

MDZ-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
MacD-Schultz

Both MDZ and Schenn seem better with an increased role and away from each other, this should fix that. Schultz is better than grossman

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The full, healthy D corps should be (minus Timonen obviously)

Del Zotto - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Colaiacovo - Schenn
Schultz

Trade Grossmann for a magic bullet

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
The full, healthy D corps should be (minus Timonen obviously)

Del Zotto - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Colaiacovo - Schenn
Schultz

Trade Grossmann for a magic bullet

Yep, with how MDZ, Schenn, Colaiacovo and Schultz have been playing, it doesn't seem like there's room for such a one dimensional guy as Grossmann. I think that's the ideal lineup with Ghost taking Colaiacovo's spot next season. Not sure what we'd do with Morin if the plan is to play him.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yep, with how MDZ, Schenn, Colaiacovo and Schultz have been playing, it doesn't seem like there's room for such a one dimensional guy as Grossmann. I think that's the ideal lineup with Ghost taking Colaiacovo's spot next season. Not sure what we'd do with Morin if the plan is to play him.

I say move Coburn. The Flyers defense hasn't been that bad without him and it's not like he is the difference between winning and not winning the cup. However, he could get a huge return from a team like Colorado or Dallas.

Keeps the pairs we have and ride it out the rest of the season.
Grosssmann Streit
MDZ Schultz
MacDonald-Schenn
CC

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
To judge Del Zotto you really have to factor into his playing style. He is the kind of player that loves to get involved in the offensive end, take chances and generate offense. He's been successful in that regard this year and has been a plus for the team.

On the flip side, with those risks he takes he is sometimes in a trailing position on odd man rushes.

I think it is important that if the Flyers want to move forward with Del Zotto long term they are able to factor all this into the equation. His playing style is not suited for a 22-23 mins a game IMO as I think the risks that he takes will far outweigh the rewards in the long term. In a reduced 2nd pairing/PP role he can be successful

Maybe it's just me, but from the games I've watched this year, Del Zotto has actually sacrificed offense for the sake of being in a better position defensively. He seems like he's finally understanding what it takes to manage the defensive side of the game and he's been playing really smart. There's been an odd gaffe here and there, but he seems to have really shored up defensively and that Gord Murphy has been able to get through to Del Zotto.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Playing Grossmann and Streit on the first pairing all season will not end well.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Playing Grossmann and Streit on the first pairing all season will not end well.

And how will it end with Coburn? Judging by the last three years, not all that great either. 2nd round shellacking by the devils, missed playoffs (although injured for a majority of the season), first round exit in game 7 where he and MacDonald looked liked AHLers in the 2nd period against the Rangers forecheck.

What's the goal: competitiveness or cup? Keeping Coburn makes the flyers competitive. Trading Coburn could, I am stress could because there is no guarantee, bring a return that helps toward a cup in a couple of seasons.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Unless there is a better defenseman coming back, trading Coburn will not get the Flyers any closer to a Cup. You can't count on guys like MacDonald, Grossmann, Schultz and LSchenn to be your shut down defenders and top penalty killers. With those guys getting bigger roles with Coburn injured our PK is in the tank, and we are 25th in CF% at ES.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php?sit=ev

The smart thing to do is put Dell Zotto and Coburn together.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad