Speculation: Michael Bunting (a realistic look at)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He needs more PP time. I'd like to see that line be PP1 just not right now because if it ain't broke...but:

Kase Matthews Bunting
Rielly Marner

Nylander Tavares Robertson
Sandin Spezza

• Love
Reactions: trellaine201

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Did Arizona let Bunting walk. They let his contract expire, they got nothing for him in a trade. Does that fit the description for the term " letting a player walk?"
Let him walk is pretty demeaning to Bunting I'm not sure why you're nit picking this term. Makes it seem like you're saying Arizona thinks Bunting wasnt worth it and their trash became our treasure.

Trade : He had no trade value. He broke out final 20 games of the season. Trade deadline expired . Why did you ignore this lol

UFA: Takes two to tango. Letting a contract expire doesn't mean you let a player walk. Context matters.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Let him walk is pretty demeaning to Bunting I'm not sure why you're nit picking this term. Makes it seem like you're saying Arizona thinks Bunting wasnt worth it and their trash became our treasure.

Trade : He had no trade value. He broke out final 20 games of the season. Trade deadline expired . Why did you ignore this lol

UFA: Takes two to tango. Letting a contract expire doesn't mean you let a player walk. Context matters.
Duly noted thankyou.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This scout should be fired from any NHL job. Blows my mind this is an actual take from a NHL scout.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This scout should be fired from any NHL job. Blows my mind this is an actual take from a NHL scout.

Must be a Habs scout or something.

Put up 10 goals in 21 games with Arizona last year, had teams offering him a bit more in the offseason but wanted to play in Toronto... safe to say he wouldn't be in the minors. And the eye test is clear that he's a NHL calibre player.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

That's definitely a step too far as Bunting still put up and paced for good numbers in an admittedly small sample size during his time with Arizona. Yes, he's the third best player on that line and a lot of players would be as well considering the quality of Matthews and Marner. Regardless, that still should not at all imply that Bunting is a passenger or being carried to success by virtue of being on that line. I have no doubt that he is deserving of his spot there.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I’d sign him to a 4x4 this off-season if he would take it. He’s an amazing line mate for Matthews and Marner. Him and Matthews have become extremely good friends. If he repeats this season again next season, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 6x6 on the open market.

Reactions: horner

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wouldn't a career AHLer, now 7 years removed from his draft year, and a career 26 NHL games and 14 points total making $950k getting 15-20 goals be considered a home run grand slam?

sure would, Mr.Mod.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Exceeded my expectations greatly. Playing with two 100 point players most of the time obviously helps, but he's a capable top six forward in his own right. Another year at 950k too which is amazing. Although I start to get nervous at what a potential extension might look like down the road.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The added value he brings by getting his team PP's just isn't appreciated enough. What is he 3rd in the league for drawing penalties. He must be very difficult to play against.

Reactions: hockeynorth

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think of Michael Bunting as the 2019-20 offseason version of a Carter Verhaeghe. Guy who showed flashes who could pop. He's gotten a ton of press but at the price we got him at, it's a modest roll of the dice.
First few pages and this was by far the most accurate hindsight evaluation of him.

Reactions: Stephen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Exceeded my expectations greatly. Playing with two 100 point players most of the time obviously helps, but he's a capable top six forward in his own right. Another year at 950k too which is amazing. Although I start to get nervous at what a potential extension might look like down the road.

Maybe he'd take a 4 year $11mm deal? (2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5)

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bloody Brilliant season for Bunting. Made Hyman a complete afterthought with his play (no disrespect to Zach who is great in his own right) and was a big part of why Matthews and Marner were so successful this season. The fact that we've got him for another season at under $1 million is a boon. Really hope he's able to play in the playoffs, his game would thrive in the postseason.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad