Speculation: Michael Bunting (a realistic look at)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You gotta love the residual effects Buntings play is having around the league. For example, he is only doing well because Leafs are a good team he wouldn't do that well on a bad team. He is only doing well because he plays with Marner and Mathews two of the best players in the league. etc..

As I say you just have to love it.
For the most part that is probably true.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
For the most part that is probably true.
He scored 11 goals in 26 games for Arizona. Sure small sample size but you have to start... That is a higher goals per game pace than now. How Arizona lets him walk is really hard to figure.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He scored 11 goals in 26 games for Arizona. Sure small sample size but you have to start... That is a higher goals per game pace than now. How Arizona lets him walk is really hard to figure.

It is definitely crazy that Arizona essentially "had to" let Bunting go considering he had RFA years left, and primarily because of the failure to meet the required GP threshold for his age group and experience level.

Reactions: saffronleaf

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not sure if they let him walk. They may have only offered a 1 year deal. In his position, multi year one-way security is important along with a talented forward group but opportunity at his position. The Leafs had possibly the greatest opportunity to check all the boxes with the added bonus of being his hometown team.

Love Bunting and love seeing these shots work out. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep it up so he can get paid next offseason.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Well is that not the hockey template for letting a player walk. You let his contract expire you got nothing for him, you let him walk.
nah Bunting didn't breakout until after the trade deadline last year. He wouldn't have been a priority to deal with in-season. No way Arizona is going to beat Toronto out in the off season for his services. You can tell this guy bleeds blue.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They didn't have a choice, he was UFA.
What's hard to figure is how he and his Agent didn't think more highly of his ability.

Reactions: Confucius

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I agree. But I also understand the pessimism and complete lack of confidence in this administration's decision making. They've made some incredibly stupid decisions in a remarkably short period of time and now seem poised to start hemorrhaging even more assets to try and fix the problems either directly or indirectly created by prior mistakes. This doesn't inspire confidence. Theres too many moving parts in an organization to possibly be right about everyone but the general direction has been pretty clear for Mess and so many others.

The bolded - most recently, the conversation about qualifications and credentials of the top decision maker and how different they are for someone who took the stairs and cleared every floor on their way to the top vs a guy who got the elevator key from his Grandfather. You claimed the prior never played the game when this is so wildly incorrect that you were either intentionally misleading or debating something you knew nothing about. Either way, its pretty damning. I wasn't in on the conversation but quoted you with a picture of this person wearing the C on his D1 NCAA team. Maybe you didn't see it? Probably just a coincidence you disappeared from the thread. Since you didn't respond I'd encourage you to take 2 minutes on Wiki to inform yourself on what I mean when I say took the stairs and cleared every floor.

I question why so many need to mislead or misrepresent to defend Kyle Dubas. If we're being honest, what does that say about yours and their argument?

I'm not defending anyone. I don't always agree with anyone, never mind a stranger on the internet. I respect Mess for taking time to make thoughtful and mostly well-researched contributions here. I was calling you out for beating your chest over a small victory still with 3 years worth of egg on your face.

That’s a very strong accusation to say I was arguing black and white facts and was ignorant to the fact that Lou has played hockey. I never questioned that Lou played NCAA hockey, I said he never played hockey at a pro level. Not to mention NCAA hockey in the 1960s wasn’t some strong developmental league like it is today, so you can’t even argue he was even close to professional hockey. Regardless, the main point of the argument was to rebuttal the meat heads who believe that if you never played the game you can’t have success at a management level which is clearly wrong.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What's hard to figure is how he and his Agent didn't think more highly of his ability.
I agree with his agent should have been a little more insightful and positive. Alright lets just be sure about this. If William gets to UFA and signs somewhere else. We won't be hearing we let him walk. I just want to be sure incase it happens.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd offer him a 5×5 extension this off-season. Great fit on the top line and they all seem to love playing with each other. He and Matthews also have the same birthday lol.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd offer him a 5×5 extension this off-season. Great fit on the top line and they all seem to love playing with each other. He and Matthews also have the same birthday lol.
If he is still playing like this next season, maybe. Then again my opinion is worthless because right now we would have had Soup locked up for 8 years at 4.5, ....

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree with his agent should have been a little more insightful and positive. Alright lets just be sure about this. If William gets to UFA and signs somewhere else. We won't be hearing we let him walk. I just want to be sure incase it happens.
I believe he will be traded before that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Bunting said it himself, he wanted to play in Toronto and preferred the extra year of security. Doubt he thought he would be playing with 16 and 34 and producing as much as he has. Kid said he has no regrets. He will cash in, in a year unless he goes south next year.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I feel like Bunting is worth extending this summer. I can totally see this being a mutually beneficial extension for both player and club.

I'm fairly confident that Bunts would not gamble on himself given the fact that he:

a) could get injured next year given the style he plays
b) despite how good he looks on the top line, is still not a lock to remain on that line. He is the first player that would get moved off that line in the event of a slump
c) He is 26, and a career minor leaguer prior to last year.

all that considered, I could see a favorable extension for Bunts this coming summer.

Does bunts turn down 5 x 3.5AAV??? I just don't know. He clearly loves playing here. If not that, maybe a Sam Bennett style deal 4 x 4.425AAV.

Either way, it should be explored this summer, because if he has a full season with Matthews and Marner next year we won't be able to afford him beyond that.

Kevin Bieksa said it perfectly, he is the Burrows to our version of the Sedin's. He just fits like a glove with those 2. You can tell he is playing with a ton of confidence now as well. He is making outstanding plays just to keep that puck alive. He's smart enough to know that's all he needs to do in certain moments. He has this perfect balance of knowing when to make a play on the puck, and when to just put it into open space for his big dogs to hunt down. I've never seen Matthews and Marner look so good, and I really think Bunts is a big piece to that.

And on a side note, given how much Bunts and Matthews are boys, you gotta make sure he is part of our future IMO. Do whatever we can to make Auston happy. This is Auston's team, and we need to surround him with players that help him perform at this level with consistency.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I feel like Bunting is worth extending this summer. I can totally see this being a mutually beneficial extension for both player and club.

I'm fairly confident that Bunts would not gamble on himself given the fact that he:

a) could get injured next year given the style he plays
b) despite how good he looks on the top line, is still not a lock to remain on that line. He is the first player that would get moved off that line in the event of a slump
c) He is 26, and a career minor leaguer prior to last year.

all that considered, I could see a favorable extension for Bunts this coming summer.

Does bunts turn down 5 x 3.5AAV??? I just don't know. He clearly loves playing here. If not that, maybe a Sam Bennett style deal 4 x 4.425AAV.

Either way, it should be explored this summer, because if he has a full season with Matthews and Marner next year we won't be able to afford him beyond that.

Kevin Bieksa said it perfectly, he is the Burrows to our version of the Sedin's. He just fits like a glove with those 2. You can tell he is playing with a ton of confidence now as well. He is making outstanding plays just to keep that puck alive. He's smart enough to know that's all he needs to do in certain moments. He has this perfect balance of knowing when to make a play on the puck, and when to just put it into open space for his big dogs to hunt down. I've never seen Matthews and Marner look so good, and I really think Bunts is a big piece to that.

And on a side note, given how much Bunts and Matthews are boys, you gotta make sure he is part of our future IMO. Do whatever we can to make Auston happy. This is Auston's team, and we need to surround him with players that help him perform at this level with consistency.

He's definitely a player worth trying to lock up in a term for lower aav compromise 4-5 seasons at 4 mil or less would be ideal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad