Speculation: Michael Bunting (a realistic look at)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am just as optimistic as the next leaf fan when it comes to new acquisitions and a new season.

I know very little about Michael Bunting. All I know is that he costs very little.

Is he special? I think Dubas believes so.

I'd like to hear your opinion of him. Is he really good enough to play in the top 6?

My gut feeling is that his stats might be similar to Jumbo Joe Thornton. 5 goals 15 assists for 20 points.

Am I selling him short?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It's easy to look at his 10 goals in 21 meaningless games in AZ after his callup and get excited but I'm not getting my hopes up here.

He should be given an opportunity in the top 9 and let him earn the ice time. Let the cream rise to the top as they say.

Right now there are a bunch of guys competing for a few wing spots...

Bunting
Robertson
Anderson
Gabriel (although I like him as the 13th F)

Not sure if they still see Engvall as a W or a C.

Even Simmonds shouldn't be a lock but IMO if he plays like they need him to he's going to be spending more time on the IL than in the lineup and if he doesn't play heavy and tough then he has no business in the lineup.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
hes gonna be hated first season with unrealistic expectations, eventually he will grow into a solid well loved player, but by then it will be too late and the oilers will give him a 7 year 10 mil dollar contract at the last attempt to keep McDavid, but it will fall short with Mcdavid signing here instead. We go on to win the cup, but leafs nation will still be bitching about the marner contract. :sarcasm:

if no one can tell, im just having some fun. Havin' some beers listening to some Maiden, while I wait for my PS5 to be deliverd.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I posted these stats earlier of 4 players of which 3 are new ones battling for a roster spot from the 2014 including Bunting. It interesting to see/hear the expectation for Bunting being the highest yet based on NHL games experience, size, contract and draft position if you looked at all the factors it would seem he should be near the bottom of this list (below).

Ho-sang was a former 1st rounder and taken 20 spots after William Nylander, Amadio is approaching 200 NHL games and has the most NHL points so clearly the most proven. Engvall the player the Leafs already have has the biggest contract and is approaching 100 games played and would seem the most secure for a roster spot.

Bunting has the least NHL games (only 26 games), was drafted later than Ho-Sang and Amadio as mid 4th rounder and the least amount of NHL points (only 14), and is the smallest as in sub 6' feet in size. Yet Bunting comes with highest expectations from this draft class that is going to have the biggest impact on the Leafs it appears. This seems like recency bias from a small sample set at the end of the last season, where the stats really wouldn't back that up when you looked at the data only objectively.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Training camp battles: (ranked by draft position of 2014 draft class)

Josh Ho-Sang (PTO)
Age 25 - RW - 6'0" / 175 lbs
Drafted: 2014 round 1 #28 overall by New York Islanders

NHL Stats: 53 games 7 goals 17 assists 24 points

vs.

Michael Amadio
(@ $750k)
Age 25 - C/RW - 6'1"/ 205 lbs
Drafted: 2014 round 3 #90 overall by Los Angeles Kings

NHL Stats: 173 games 16 goals 24 assists 40 points

vs.

Michael Bunting (@ $950k)

Age 25 - LW/RW - 5'11" / 195 lbs
Drafted: 2014 round 4 #117 overall by Phoenix Coyotes

NHL Stats: 26 games 11 goals 3 assists 14 points

vs.

Pierre Engvall (@ $1.25 mil)

Age 25 - C/LW - 6'5"/214 lbs
Drafted: 2014 round 7 #188 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

NHL Stats: 90 games 15 goals 12 assists 27 points

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Only watched his highlights. Can't say I've seen an Arizona game where he was playing.

Apparently he plays a hard-nosed style and some folks claim that he does actually have a bit of a goal-scoring touch. He's paid a minuscule amount so at least the expectations won't go crazy.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
But this is a "realistic look"

Well maybe. Perhaps a balance between what was said about him when he first signed and the "battling for a roster spit against Ho-Sang, Engvall, and Amadio".

Bunting might play better than his $950K contract, and I sure hope he does. I just caution fans that he might not live up to his "Top 6 winger" hype.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Gallagher lite
I will go with this until shown otherwise.
I too am suckered in to thinking he could be a fit on the top line with AM and Mitch. Time will tell.

And Amadio is the forgotten man.
My hope for him is he will be an upgrade on Brooks.

My hopes for Brooks was he would be an upgrade on GOAT.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Based on where hes played so far in his career, few here will have much viewing time of his play. And there's too many unknowns / where will he slot into the lineup, will he have chemistry with any of the top 9 lines ect.

That said, I wouldn't blink if he hit 35ish points if everything goes well.

Reactions: The Iceman

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think he will settle in on the 2nd or 3rd line and put up around 15-20 goals, which is more than fine at his salary.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Wouldn't a career AHLer, now 7 years removed from his draft year, and a career 26 NHL games and 14 points total making $950k getting 15-20 goals be considered a home run grand slam?

On the surface, yes. He will also be playing with significantly better linemates than at any point in his career thus far, so that puts it into perspective.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Energy. Driving the net. Dirty goals. Push back.
That's all I'm expecting. I don't usually evaluate a player on their point production unless they are a reputable sniper

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Wouldn't a career AHLer, now 7 years removed from his draft year, and a career 26 NHL games and 14 points total making $950k getting 15-20 goals be considered a home run grand slam?
I’m thinking more along the likes of miraculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad